AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My excellent Panasonic Plasma is a source of endless problems for me.

I'm thinking I'd like to stick with plasma...

Anyways, a visit to best buy showed that the samsung plasma actually kinda stunk. The LED tv's had better blacks.

I know, I know, it was just a display.

But still...how do Samsung Plasma's compare? I'd likely be interested in the smaller sizes, 43 inches or so. 

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwwa  /t/1523534/how-do-samsung-and-lg-plasmas-compare#post_24509398

Anyways, a visit to best buy showed that the samsung plasma actually kinda stunk. The LED tv's had better blacks.

...I don't get it. You already have a Panasonic plasma yet still don't realize ALL plasmas stink at Best Buy? I've personally seen a Kuro getting humiliated by a Sony LCD there. (By black level no less) Does that mean anything? hell NO

I like going to Audio Video 2001 because they have two showrooms. One bright showroom that mostly have LCDs and another one light controlled that mostly have plasmas. And the Samsung LCDs that puts out the supposed great picture in the great showrooms ALL get schooled by every plasmas in the light controlled show room.

Anyway, I don't know which Panny you have but the F5300/F5500 should have black level close to the VT20/25. The LG plasmas are a lot worse, actually closer to the Samsung LCDs. The more recent H5000 should have black level between the ST60 and the S60.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwwa  /t/1523534/how-do-samsung-and-lg-plasmas-compare#post_24509398

My excellent Panasonic Plasma is a source of endless problems for me.

I'm thinking I'd like to stick with plasma...

I know, I know, it was just a display.

But still...how do Samsung Plasma's compare? I'd likely be interested in the smaller sizes, 43 inches or so. 

without much detail, I'm going on a hunch here, so forgive me if I'm off base but...

generally speaking LED's APPEAR blacker in ambient light. if you were comparing sets in a bright showroom, only the f8500 will have a filter good enough to compete. but when viewed in more realistic lighting conditions, the plasma blacks will remain better.

anyway, to your question, what models are still made in 43 inches? I've only seen 51" and up for 1080p models, and well, even they range in quality quite a bit. the f8500 is probably the best display still on the market aside from possible an oled or two.

if you want real help, and not just speculation though, you need model numbers or at least a price range. both plasmas and leds can be made terrible

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
Coming from a Pioneer 5020, and then a Sharp 735 LED, and now a Samsung F8500, LED is horrible, absolutely horrible. There is nothing good about and LED, nothing. The blacks are horrible, the off angle viewing is horrible, the clouding is horrible, the motion blur is horrible, it is a horrible technology. Horrible. The only thing it is good for is recycling. So to all that have one, please recycle and kick yourself for being so stupid for wasting your money. Carry on.
I'm joking

1 - 4 of 4 Posts