AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering how a SVCD (480x480) looks blown up on a projector compared to a DVD (720x480). I have a bunch of SVCDs that I'd like to watch that look great (almost as good as DVD) on my 32" and I'm wondering how it will look bigger. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
It mainly depends on the bitrate of the SVCD. If you are talking standard SVCD bitrate then you are talking, as previously stated, ugly and blocky, though better than VCD. If you are talking 4000kbps bitrate then it looks pretty nice. It also depends on your source, and of course your encoder. You want to know how ANYTHING approximately looks on a CRT projector just watch it on a CRT monitor and sit real close. ;)

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Mike's right: It's the not the lower resolution that will make it look worse, it's the crappy MPEG-1 compression used on VCD's that will make them look like crap.

I've tried a few ... they REALLY look bad compared to the original DVD. Full of compression artifacts.

Kal

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
SVCD is mpeg2 compression. I tried a few on my pj and they look smooth but undetailed. Definitely not worth watching. A well encoded divx can be quite decent, I got Super Speedway from Usenet and it was done 26 minutes per cd (quite high bitrate). It actually looks very close to dvd quality. You won't find many svcd/divx done at that bitrate though.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I've seen a lot of SVCD's, and they all look horrible!!!

Nicholas

·
Registered
124 Posts
MYOUNG:

4000kbps is NOT SVCD.

SVCD standard is max around 2700kbps with 44.1khz audio. NOT 48khz and NOT a total bitrate over 2.7.

What i meant was, an svcd encode 3-6pass is often very good, but as most people only seem to encode 1-2 pass, it will look ugly.

/Anders

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
The four SVCD version of Lord of the Rings looked very nice. But that was an exception. Most of them look bad. :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.