AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As incredible as it may sound (as least to me), I can't find any comparison threads here comparing the DCT, DCH, and DCX cable co DVR's. All I see is this thread which is only a comparison of ones you can buy, and the Comcast thread which is only the 34xx boxes.

I'm on Cox, and I've come to the point where I must get a DVR. In DVR's they have Motorola DCT-64xx (up to Phase III), DCT-34xx and DCH-34xx (don't now what Phase at this time), and DCX-3416 DVR's. If I decide to get one through them, which is the best way to go? How do these compare? All I remember is (I think) the DCT is analog?

So if there is a thread here comparing these 4 series HD DVR's can someone please point me to it? If not, then would someone be kind enough to point out the differences between these DVR's? Or better yet, which to simply avoid. Or, are they all the same as far as viewing, recording and playback go? If they are essentially the same, which is regarded as the most reliable? Obviously reliability is most important. Next is SD performance because not all channels are in HD.

I'm not using an AV equipment at this time, only a Kuro 5020 and I'm of course on HD digital cable (DCT-64xx STB in one room and a DCH-32xx STB in another, and they are of course just STB's, not DVR's).

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. /forum/post/20865209

As incredible as it may sound (as least to me), I can't find any comparison threads here comparing the DCT, DCH, and DCX cable co DVR's. All I see is this thread which is only a comparison of ones you can buy, and the Comcast thread which is only the 34xx boxes.

I'm on Cox, and I've come to the point where I must get a DVR. In DVR's they have Motorola DCT-64xx (up to Phase III), DCT-34xx and DCH-34xx (don't now what Phase at this time), and DCX-3416 DVR's. If I decide to get one through them, which is the best way to go? How do these compare? All I remember is (I think) the DCT is analog?

So if there is a thread here comparing these 4 series HD DVR's can someone please point me to it? If not, then would someone be kind enough to point out the differences between these DVR's? Or better yet, which to simply avoid. Or, are they all the same as far as viewing, recording and playback go? If they are essentially the same, which is regarded as the most reliable? Obviously reliability is most important. Next is SD performance because not all channels are in HD.

I'm not using an AV equipment at this time, only a Kuro 5020 and I'm of course on HD digital cable (DCT-64xx STB in one room and a DCH-32xx STB in another, and they are of course just STB's, not DVR's).

Thanks.
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US...?compare=52451

But basically, the DCT64xx and DCT34xx are basically the same, but the 64xx is an analog/digital device while the 34xx is completely digital. The DCH34xx has the addition of the M-card circuitry. I'd ask for the DCX34xx, which has 1GHz tuners, MoCA capability, and M-card circuitry (but Cox is probably only using those in their WH "Plus" systems.)

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 /forum/post/20869032

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US...?compare=52451

Thanks for the reply and info.

That %$#[email protected]& page keeps crashing for me and spontaneously closes all open browser windows.

Quote:
I'd ask for the DCX34xx, which has 1GHz tuners, MoCA capability, and M-card circuitry (but Cox is probably only using those in their WH "Plus" systems.)

Not sure what you mean by "WH 'Plus' systems". They did tell me that is one of the units I could get.

I tried the link in another browser and unfortunately the idiots limit the comparison to only 11 non-technical areas! They leave out all the technical specs and differences. That webpage only tells you the differences are only MoCA, M-Card, and the DCT64xx lacking HDMI . (I added a screenshot because the URL seems to keep changing visible options due to hidden scrolling). Otherwise that would the absolute perfect webpage I needed.

That's a much appreciated start, but I need a page like that which goes into more detail. Anyone know of one? (I see you can't even contact Motorola without first "registering for an account"
).

Thanks again for the reply and info.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. /forum/post/20869282

That %$#[email protected]& page keeps crashing for me and spontaneously closes all open browser windows.

Hmmm...works fine for me. Firefox ver. 5

Quote:

Not sure what you mean by "WH 'Plus' systems". They did tell me that is one of the units I could get.

The Whole Home "Plus" package has a couple dozen (varies by location) channels added in the 860MHz-1GHz band, and all rooms connected to the DVR via MoCA. Not yet available in all areas.

Quote:

That's a much appreciated start, but I need a page like that which goes into more detail. Anyone know of one? (I see you can't even contact Motorola without first "registering for an account"
).

Each individual series has its own PDF sheet. They're kinda hard to find. I'd read through those. Sorry I can't be of more help, but in my area Cox is a Cisco/SA system, so I know more about Cisco/SA.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S.
As incredible as it may sound (as least to me), I can't find any comparison threads here comparing the DCT, DCH, and DCX cable co DVR's.
Very simple.

This is because you can't pick which one you get. The cableco gives you what ever they have and unless you are willing to keep going back under the guise of having issues, you have to use what they give you.

In general, as you progress from the DCT to the DCH to the DCX, the boxes have various improvements including faster processors and advanced capabilities like whole house DVR.

If you sign up for whole house DVR, you'd have to get the DCX.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/20872164

This is because you can't pick which one you get. The cableco gives you what ever they have and unless you are willing to keep going back under the guise of having issues, you have to use what they give you.

That's funny, because I do this quite a bit under the guise of "Do it, or else."

Works great.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 /forum/post/20872866

That's funny, because I do this quite a bit under the guise of "Do it, or else."

Works great.

I've been emailing someone at local Cox for the past couple of years, that's where I got the info about the STB's and DVR's, and she told me you can ask for the one you want.

This is what I'm trying to find out the "best" right now, because I'm not about to have to make up to 5 trips to get the best one, or find out the hard way that one "has issues not recording programs". I see on the DCX thread that it does indeed have an issue of a "black screen and freeze-up issues" that's supposedly been fixed in recent firmware, but so far after two tries no one will tell me what the latest FW is that fixed it .
If I can find that out I can then ask the girl at Cox if they have that version or later. Then I'd probably get the DCX. If not, then a DCT or DCH.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't trust that the bugs with the DCX series have been fixed. Consider it a rumor until solid info is verified by multiple sources. I've been testing a DCX-3400-m and have encountered the various issues in under a week. So I guess the good news is you won't have to wait long to find out if things are OK. Granted, I'm on the old 22.65 firmware. The rumors are that the newer 24.xx firmwares fix at least the black screen recording bug. But I'm not sure specifically which version fixes it.

If you intend to connect your PC/Mac/DVHS Digital VCR to the FireWire port (which is required to work, under federal law), you'll want one of the older Motorola DCT or DCH boxes. The DCX DVR boxes have screwed up FireWire (it mostly works for capturing live TV, but not for capturing DVR recordings). For me this FireWire bug is a huge problem and the second most annoying bug after the black screen recordings. The DCT and DCH boxes are all good on the FireWire front (and the black screen recordings front, and basically everything else).

The only drawback to the DCT and DCH boxes is the hard drive size, which is easy to upgrade to 1 TB as outlined in this post from the DCT6412 Hard Drive Upgrade thread.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 /forum/post/20871109

Hmmm...works fine for me. Firefox ver. 5

Yeah I had to end up viewing it in FF or Chrome.

Quote:
The Whole Home "Plus" package has a couple dozen (varies by location) channels added in the 860MHz-1GHz band, and all rooms connected to the DVR via MoCA. Not yet available in all areas.

Interesting, I looked into that and I see that Cox here was "testing it" in 5-2010 and it was supposed to be out by end of that year....which probably means about 6 months after that late, if ever. ( Generic non-regional info ).

Quote:
Each individual series has its own PDF sheet. They're kinda hard to find. I'd read through those. Sorry I can't be of more help, but in my area Cox is a Cisco/SA system, so I know more about Cisco/SA.

Yeah I have those. But unfortunately after 15 years+ of looking at PDF manuals I've found most are full of errors and/or omissions, making comparisons rather difficult. (Of course you see the same issues in print manuals). But you at least got me toward the right track and I appreciate that and you're reply.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 /forum/post/20873140

Yeah, I wouldn't trust that the bugs with the DCX series have been fixed. Consider it a rumor until solid info is verified by multiple sources. I've been testing a DCX-3400-m and have encountered the various issues in under a week. So I guess the good news is you won't have to wait long to find out if things are OK. Granted, I'm on the old 22.65 firmware. The rumors are that the newer 24.xx firmwares fix at least the black screen recording bug. But I'm not sure specifically which version fixes it.

Thanks a bunch for the info. I'm going to email the girl at Cox Monday and ask if she's heard of this issue and if she can find out which FW version they're using for the DCX's. If it's >24.x then I could maybe at least determine from that it may not have the issues.

Quote:
If you intend to connect you PC/Mac/DVHS Digital VCR to the FireWire port (which is required to work, under federal law), you'll want one of the older Motorola DCT or DCH boxes. The DCX DVR boxes have screwed up FireWire (it mostly works for capturing live TV, but not for capturing DVR recordings). For me this FireWire bug is a huge problem and the second most annoying bug after the black screen recordings. The DCT and DCH boxes are all good on the FireWire front (and the black screen recordings front, and basically everything else).

I haven't thought about FireWire on them yet, but that's good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S.
I'm going to email the girl at Cox Monday and ask if she's heard of this issue and if she can find out which FW version they're using for the DCX's. If it's >24.x then I could maybe at least determine from that it may not have the issues.
Ha! Good luck with finding out what firmware version they're on. I think you're on dream street if you think they can get you info that specific in a timely fashion (but go for it, an e-mail won't take much time).

Also: there's a reason that nobody here has responded to your question about which specific firmware update fixes the black screen recording bug; nobody really knows. It's still firmly in the rumor catagory.

If they don't get back to you quickly about the firmware version, you'll save yourself time by just showing up and getting a DCX box and checking the firmware version yourself.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 /forum/post/20875405

Ha! Good luck with finding out what firmware version they're on. I think you're on dream street if you think they can get you info that specific in a timely fashion (but go for it, an e-mail won't take much time).

She's been really helpful and forthcoming up to this point, so it's definitely worth a try.

Quote:
Also: there's a reason that nobody here has responded to your question about which specific firmware update fixes the black screen recording bug; nobody really knows. It's still firmly in the rumor catagory.

Ok, how's this ? I reworded it to hopefully at least get some idea. All I can determine for certain so far is what you said; you had the issue and your FW version was 22.65. I'm wondering if v23.xx still has it one must one have 24.xx. This could at least narrow down the versions.

Quote:
If they don't get back to you quickly about the firmware version, you'll save yourself time by just showing up and getting a DCX box and checking the firmware version yourself.

Trips back-and-forth that I'm trying to avoid. If it's the latest, good. But if it's one of the versions with the problem, that's another trip (and possibly unwatchable recordings).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.