AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some alone time with a Runco CL500 on a Stewart Grayhawk today at a local A/V store.

They didn't have the 510... so I just spent some time with the 500.

The demo material was PBS-HD, showing the Cars of Cuba thing they do.

I was overall pretty pleased with the picture quality (although the screen was relatively small, at 66" wide)

The blacks could have been a bit more prevalent, but the picture was rather smooth, and I enjoyed it for the most part.

It was obvious that the projector lacked a bit of resolution, but that's to be expected.

My main concerns were smoothness of the image, and vibrant colors.

It did both of these pretty well somewhat dated, and overpriced (imo) projector.

Now the real question is, how does a projector like this compare to:

The X1?

The HT1000?

etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
66" wide?

how far back were you?

what res is the Runco?

in general, HD, like computer animation, looks great on anything.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Runco's specs are highly unimpressive...

848x600

1,000 lumens

900:1 CR

throwing a 76" 16:9 diag image... it looked pretty nice.

I'm just trying to use what I have available to me for a basis of comparison between other projectors.

I can see Runco pretty much whenever I want. That's why I'm trying to compare it.

I just wondered if I could get a similar image out of an X1, or if I would need to move up to something like the SP5700. This is difficult when you really can't demo projectors. How do you take part in the X1 trial??

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The specs are similar to an X1, so I wouldn't expect the Runco to look any better than the X1. The X1 has been out for the better part of a year and the one major complaint is rainbows. It's very rare to hear about anyone returning theirs for another reason.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's pretty encouraging.

The Infocus actually smokes it in contrast ratio.

I can't imagine the Runco has any magical processing that makes it any better than the DCDi in the X1.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I own the x1, in terms of contrast, it looks no where near of the spec'd 2000:1. It doesn't have the blacks of the new hd2 chipped machines. I would say around 600:1.

James

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
since you mentioned the HT1000 in the first post i'll throw this out-

i picked up a Samsung dvi-i player from BB tonight, and with Tom the guitarmans settings, the picture was pretty freaking insane.

i can't imagine ever needing or wanting more CR or deeper black levels on a digital projecotor- in fact, at times i thought the disparity between a bright light in a dark room was too great.

also- this may be my imagination, and i'm going to go back down and confirm it in a little while by hooking up my panasonic component/progressive player, but the screendoor effect also seems to be minimized with the dvi going- i have no idea why or how this would be affected, but i felt i could detect a difference whenever i would pull up one of the pjs internal menu screens.

for some reason, the pixels seem smaller and finer.

very odd.

this is kind of freaking me out, because as nice as i knew the pj was, the limitations of XGA- primarily in regards to how smooth the picture will look at a generous screen size, was still a bit of a disappointment to me.

this player sucks on toast, for a variety of reasons, but if i find it is in fact minimizing the sde, i might seriously regret having to take it back.

i'm trying not to sound like a typical new owner gushing about his purchase, and if you have caught any of Bob Woods recent threads over in the >$5K forum, you'll find me being very harsh with this pj straight out of the box .

and i'm still having a ***** of a time trying to calibrate a satisfying image out of it connected via component.

i probably shouldn't say anything else until i spend a little more time going back and forth...but i'm very ...intrigued... by what i'm seeing so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.