Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

My HT room will be in the basement and it will have electric baseboard heaters on one wall. Here is a proposed layout of the room.

http://kimhearst.home.comcast.net/HTRoom.jpg

Please don't make fun of my couch. :p It is coming from another room and hopefully is only temporary. It is actually the couch from my current family room and I quite comfortable for watching movies. It is kind of wide for this room though. On the plus side, it already has 8 aura bass shakers installed.

I have seen many people put treatment on the lower half of the walls, and then place batting on the top half and cover the whole thing in fabric (GOM). However, this is not an option on the wall with the baseboard heaters.

So, those of you who have built basement bijou's and have baseboard heaters, how did you treat your rooms? Any recommendations?

If anyone has any comments on my proposed room, please feel free to contribute them. I really doubt the projector will go back where I have listed it (because of throw distances) but I think that would be the indeal spot. I am currently only finished framing the walls and I am currently doing the ceiling and soffits.

Thanks,

Hal

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ethan,

Thanks for the reply. I am sure those panels are effective, but that is not exactly what I am looking for. In fact, I was looking on the web site when my wife walked over. All she said was "Ugh.. you can't have them". She did like the studio however, but she said I can't have one of those either.

Any other options? I was thinking that perhaps I can move the baseboard heaters to the wall with the screen. Then I could treat the side walls with IS and GOM.

Does anybody know of some pictures of HT with baseboard heaters? Is there a better type of heating source (that does not require ductwork) that I should use? I have only done the basic framing, so there is time for some other options here.

Thanks again.

With regards,

Hal

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hal,

I have baseboard heaters in my basement as well. Although they're hot water based not electric.

I'm planning on just doing the "typical" IS+GoM treatment as usual - going around the baseboard heater. The top of the metal housing surrounding the heater fins is about 1 3/4 inches out from the wall. I'm adding 1/2 inch drywall + 1 inch of IS/GoM so that leaves about 1/4 inch to spare. The bottom is wider so there should be no problem - at least I don't see any. The warm air will just come out the slot at the top as usual.

I figure any heat loss from the baseboard housing itself being in contact with the GoM furring strip won't be a biggie. I also have a gas stove in the basement that was here when I bought the house. That is really the main source of heat.

See attached rough (very) sketch.

Andy

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Andy. Thanks for the sketch. I would like to take the same approach as you, but I don't know if I should. I know that electrical code says you can't have any outlets above electric baseboard heaters, but that is all I know. Would it be ok to put IS/GoM around baseboard heaters? If so, then how close? You can mount them very close to the floor carpet and pad.

I will talk to the inspector, but I would be grateful for any additional info. Expecially examples!!!! :)

Thanks again!

Hal

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Maybe just use the baseboards on the back third/half of the room. Really you likely won't need that much in the way of audio absorbtion on that part of the room with your big ass couch in there.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Cowtown, don't diss the couch!!! :D

Did you see the line in Barbershop? (I hope this does not offend anyone.) There are women with a big ass, and there are big ass women. This is a big ass couch all right. The footprint is 11'x9'. That's why my wife is making me put it in the basement.

I would like to put the baseboard heaters on an "outside" wall since that will help with heating purposes. But, it is a good idea.

Regards,

Hal

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Another option would be to keep them on that wall and panel just above them all the way up. On the opposite side of the room (or all the way around if you are doing that) build out a soffit on the ground that matches the basic size of the baseboard heaters. Paint them to match and you'll have balance on both sides of the room.

I would hazard to guess (though I'm no expert) that that 4 ish inches you wouldn't have panneled on the bottom would not make any real difference to your audio unless of course you have speakers firing at floor level. :)

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
You clearly want to treat the walls. The placement of the treatments will depend largely on if you're listening to a point source (or two channel) vs multi-channel playback. Placing vertical panel in stripes is an effective approach for performance or two-channel. While it does provide a bit of diffusion, multi-channel placement dictates other approaches to avoid 'killing off' the surround effects. As well, performance/stereo requires less total absorption than multi-channel.

In managing bass response for a room, you're generally (not always) better off using center frequency tuned resonators (absorbers) than by using broadband bass absorption.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nobail
Hi Andy. Thanks for the sketch. I would like to take the same approach as you, but I don't know if I should. I know that electrical code says you can't have any outlets above electric baseboard heaters, but that is all I know. Would it be ok to put IS/GoM around baseboard heaters? If so, then how close? You can mount them very close to the floor carpet and pad.

I will talk to the inspector, but I would be grateful for any additional info. Expecially examples!!!! :)

Hal
I guess the concern about outlets above elec. baseboard heating is in the wire that's plugged in. Perhaps it could fall into the elements if it becomes unplugged. For hot water heat that isn't an issue. I've got outlets all over the place above the heater!

It would be good to know what your inspector says.

Andy

·
Registered
971 Posts
Nobail,

Don't know if you still need this info or not but someone else might. Here is a pic of how I did the firring strips and Linacoustic RC around my baseboard heat strip. The front cover isn't on though because I'm still in the constructing mode.

Andy

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again Andy. I wish I had the water type heaters. I am sure I will take the same type of approach as you.

Regards,

- Hal

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have the water type also. That's a good idea...

Im looking at replacing a few of mine so I should be in a better deal when it comes time to seal the holes in the wall up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.