Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I LOVE my new HS20 and have seen (so far) lots of DVHS movies and DVDs. However, I haven't tweaked my projector (yet) and was wondering what the best method would be to, #1 increase Contrast and, #2 Lower black level. I also like to keep the iris off, making a brighter picture...I know this raises overall black level, but not by much. I have experimented with the iris on, which in some ways, looks more film-like......except a dimmer picture....I've heard on a previous post that with the iris on, you only gain 11% in contrast....I'd rather have the brightness over the 11% contrast.

Now, you are probably going to suggest getting SMART III from Steve....it's around two hundred and somthing. I DON'T want to add any filters to my projector (like I did with the VW10HT). I just don't think I will need any filters, but I guess that's why you need SMART to tell you what filter you need. SHOULD I JUST RAISE RED ALL THE WAY UP and then raise blue and green respectively (and writing down the original settings!) to get better contrast/black levels?

Thats it for now.....Any feedback would be great. Again, this is a wonderful projector, especially since I got it 5% over cost plus tax! I will be keeping this projector for 3 years; the same time frame I had my VW10HT. LATER!

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
Engaging the Iris is the only dependable way I know of to improve CR on this PJ. Someone suggested adding a CC20Y filter as this has a much less drastic impact on light output as does the R or M filters, but I haven't tried this. I did try a CC20R filter: it cut the light output almost in half and had nomeasurable effect on CR.

I would strongly suggest that you not adjust the RGB gains and biases without some equipment that allows you to measure and set proper color balance and temp, i.e., ColorFacts. You wouldn't improve your CR inany case, just mess up the image.

Short of Iris and filters (which, now that I think about it, also require some measuring device to reestablish color balance), the best you can do is set brightness and contrast correctly and rely upon the PJ to do the rest.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, and I agree; I won't go into service menu and mess things up....it would be interesting to use Image Director to adjust bias and gains, but it requires color-correcting equipment. Do you think SMART III will help? The picture already looks awsome, minus those dark scenes. Has anyone used SMART III with the HS20? And if so, did you see any marginal improvements in Contrast/black level???

Thats it for now,

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just curious, what screen are you using? Maybe high contrast screen with iris open may get you inbetween? How about reflective light based on room setup? Not sure I buy into the whole black paint thing but it may be worth a shot.

·
Registered
334 Posts
By the way, HS20 is on my short list. I am glad to hear you like it :)

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jcam9,

I have a black border around the entire screen with burgundy crushed velvet framing the screen...I wish I could post it 'cause it looks awsome. I even have a 1 foot wide fabric/masinite on the ceiling. How do you post pics on this thread?

My Screen is a homemade one out of masinite. I swear it has 10 layers of paint, including SCREEN GOO which didn't help...I couldn't get it to roll evenly. I ended up using half light flat grey and half pearlesant silver.....I don't know exactly the gain, but I would guess it's around 1.0....It does the job (for now). So, atleast I've got a light grey screen to help out with black levels, and whites...oh let me tell you about whites.....they are awsome!

Anyone out there using SMART III with the HS20???

Jcam9 you will be enthralled by the picture quality when you take it out of the box and put in "Finding Nemo" and "Fifth element SB"

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sounds pretty nice. I will probably try some DIY myself. That Screen Goo sounds interesting, I may just try some ME first to see how things look. How big of screen did you go? Haven't tried posting pics yet.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Try raising the contrast a few notches. This will increase brightness and contrast. Next lower the brightness by a similar amount.

Then engage the black level option. Low or high depending on your preferences. Also, try engaging the gamma levels.

I think you will find that a combination of all these changes will produce some significant improvements in contrast (without messing with your color gammas).

Additionally, these changes are easily reversible if you don't like what they do.

Finally if you REALLY want some significant change is black levels and the procedure above doesn't float your boat, try and see a demo on the Firehawk screen. Blacks on a Firehawk are "too die for" (but you may not be happy with the high-end loss. As an alternative to the Firehawk, try shooting on any grey surface to get any idea of about grey screens. Improving blacks is their main mission in life.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Screen size is 98" diagnal which seems to be the right proportion in relationship with the room. I also just bought some Salamander Designs Matteo theater seating (3 of em) and the distance to the screen is 2X screen width. Anybody out there no how to post pictures on this site, as opposed to placing pictures on a diff site?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have SMART III and used it on my HS10. HS20 should be here tomorrow :D , I'll try to report something over the weekend in regards to Smart and the HS20. I've been curious to know if anyone else has had luck using SMART with the HS20.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I calibrated a HS-20 the other day, not with Smart though but with Colorfacts.

With a CC Filter I managed to get more than 1000:1 (!) contrast ratio with 6500K greyscale and correct luminance tracking. The main problem was to avoid clipping but with the Image Director software i managed it.

Now the HS-20 looks even better. :p

Regards,

Ekkehart, www.cine4home.de

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ekkehart,

I just found your site and it is by far my favorite site for projector reviews. I'm glad to see your contribution to this forum.

My problem is that the translation services on Google or Alta Vista only translate 10k of text. Because of this, they won't translate the sections on measurements and analysis. Would it be possible to break down the reviews into multiple pages rather than one long page? I only ask because I really like your site and that would make it easier to translate.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Anyone else had experience with the image director software? Can it be used in conjuction with SMART III?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.