Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm currently using DVD Decryptor to manually rip DVDs in ISO mode but I'm looking for a way to rip and store DVDs automatically.

I've been trying to hunt down how to automate the process (either by just putting a disc into the DVD drive or with a button press) and have come up empty.

So, for any of you that have an automated DVD ripping/storing scheme would you post what software you're using and how you've got it all setup?

Thanks a lot,

Micah

·
Registered
60 Posts
DVDDecrypter can be launched from the command line.

You probably can setup a batch file that will run it with the proper options.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sheky,

I looked to see if DVD Decrypter had command line support but couldn't find anything on it and gave up. Guess I'll take another look and see if I can't track that info down.

Axel,

That's an interesting thought. What I'm really trying to do is find a program that will create a directory with the name of the movie and then rip the movie into it. DVD Decrypter can't do that (as far as I can tell) and was thinking that I'd have to use a different program to do it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Micah
What I'm really trying to do is find a program that will create a directory with the name of the movie and then rip the movie into it. DVD Decrypter can't do that (as far as I can tell) and was thinking that I'd have to use a different program to do it.
Actually, it will. If you go to Tools --> Settings --> General, under Default Destination select "Semi-Automatic". Then use the folder navigator just below to select where you'd like your rips stored. For instance, mine go to H:\\DVD_Rips\\. DVDDecrypter will use the volume name on the DVD as the movie's folder name. This usually works fine. You might occasionally want to change it.

I just open DVDDecrypter with the DVD in the drive, and click the big copy button. I use File mode rather than ISO, but I think it would work the same.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here-this will help you start to automate. It is a driver that will decrypt on the fly.

SlySoft AnyDVD

Hope this helps.

Gerry

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mary H
Actually, it will. If you go to Tools --> Settings --> General, under Default Destination select "Semi-Automatic". Then use the folder navigator just below to select where you'd like your rips stored. For instance, mine go to H:\\DVD_Rips\\. DVDDecrypter will use the volume name on the DVD as the movie's folder name.
I tried semi-automatic, only pointing it to my media server (//mediaserver/media/movies/) but instead of creating a new directory and putting the movie in there it just rips to the movies directory.

Maybe I did something funky when I was fiddling with it. I'll reinstall it and see if that does anything for me.

Edit: I switched over to File mode real quick, and sure enough it created a new directory. Unfortunatly it doesn't seem to want to do the same in ISO mode.

gplasky,

That looks like a pretty interesting piece of software but it doesn't look like it does what I need it to. According to their site, "Decrypts WITHOUT having to save the data onto the hard disk." Which is great, but saving the data onto the hard disk is exactly what I'm trying to do.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I wrote a "one-button" script to automate DVD rips using instant.exe. I'd be happy to share the source script, but it's highly optimized to my setup.

It does require one input box (UPC or full movie name) at the beginning as I have it rip to ISO using a unique number, add the DVD to DVD Profiler (with the unique number as the movie #), export DVD Profiler daabase to XML, then import the XML to DVDLobby.

For me it was too many manual steps to add each DVD. I set it up in Girder to be launched from an IR signal, or form a button on mainlobby.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
orbitz - sounds cool -please post your script here!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
orbitz, now that's what I was talkin' 'bout.

If you could post a more detailed explanation (along with the script ;)) that'd be wonderful.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rgathright,

the point for a lot of people, it seems is two fold.

1) They don't have/don't want to buy a DVD changer and/or

2) Ripping the dvd to the hard drive allows you to strip away all the extra junk and get straight to the movie (FBI warnings, the bonus material nobody ever looks at, etc.)

Personally, I fall into category 1. I like having all my DVDs at the push of a button and not having to get up and track down the one I want.

Laziness, not necessity, is the mother of invention :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Micah

Point being in recommending SlySoft AnyDVD was a start to automating your rips. Using something like DVDShrink it would be very easy to automate and reduce the size of your rip since there is now no need to decrypt it to your hard drive. One step-one rip and now you have the movie with all the crap gone and just the soundtrack you need.

Gerry

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gplasky,

Looks like I need to take another peek at AnyDVD again. I haven't used DVDShrink but I'll also give that a whirl.

Just out of curiosity, are you running a setup with AnyDVD and DVDShrink?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheky
cd to the dvddecrypter folder and type

dvddecrypter /?
Hah, and there it is. The only problem I have now is getting dvd decrypter to generate a new directory with the movie's name.

I looked into making a simple batch file but I can't find any simple way to have it prompt for the movie name, then using that information create the directory and then write to it.

I'll have to clean the dust off the ol' C++ part of my brain (only programming language I've ever learned) and see if I can't figure something out that way.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mjcumming
Micah, use wscript to do this - see www.msdn.com.
mj,

I tried figuring out wscript a year or 2 ago when I was a network administrator (trial by fire indeed. Being handy with computers is not the same as being able to run a network) and couldn't make heads nor tails of it.

What I have managed to do is put together a very ugly batch file that will do the job. Below is the code for it along with an explination.

Code starts here - Version2 - Supports multi-word titles up to 9 words long.

*Note - Save as dvd.bat

-----------------------------------

@ECHO OFF

REM MICAH STARBUCK 9/20/2003

REM SIMPLE (AND UGLY) BATCH FILE FOR AUTOMATICALLY RIPPING DVDS WITH DVD DECRYPTER. TO EXECUTE,

INSERT "DVD " AT COMMAND PROMPT.

REM FIRST, THE MOVIE NETWORK DRIVE IS MAPPED. THE PROGRAM THEN SWITCHES TO THAT DRIVE (J:) AND

CREATES THE DIRECTORY WITH THE MOVIE NAME (REPRESENTED AS %1%2%3%4%5%6%7%8%9 WHERE EACH %# REPRESENTS

A WORD). PROGRAM THEN DELETES THE MAPPED DRIVE (J:) AND CREATES A NEW MAPPED DRIVE POINTING TO THE

NEWLY CREATED DIRECTORY. DVD DECRYPTER IS THEN STARTED IN ISO MODE AND RIPS TO THE NEWLY MAPPED

DRIVE. AFTER DVD DECRYPTER IS FINISHED (AND CLOSED) THE NETWORK DRIVE IS AGAIN DELETED. A NEW

NETWORK DRIVE IS MAPPED BACK TO THE DIRECTORY WHERE THE MOVIES ARE STORED. BECAUSE THE DIRECTORY

CONTAINING THE MOVIE HAD TO BE CREATED WITH NO SPACES, THAT DIRECTORY IS RENAMED TO INCLUDE THE SPACES

. EXAMPLE - THE DIRECTORY CREATED WAS ALONGWALKINSPACE WOULD BE RENAMED TO A LONG WALK IN SPACE.

REM KNOWN PROBLEMS 1) FILE ONLY SEMI-AUTOMATES THE PROCESS. WHILE DVD DECRYPTER NOW STARTS

AUTOMATICALLY, THIS FILE STILL HAS TO BE RUN MANUALLY FROM THE COMMAND PROMPT SO THAT THE NAME OF THE

MOVIE CAN BE INSERTED. A PROMPT ASKING FOR THE TITLE OF THE MOVIE WOULD BE PREFERED.

@ECHO ON

NET USE J: \\\\MEDIASERVER\\MEDIA\\MOVIES

J:

MD %1%2%3%4%5%6%7%8%9

c:

NET USE J: /DELETE /YES

NET USE J: \\\\MEDIASERVER\\MEDIA\\MOVIES\\%1%2%3%4%5%6%7%8%9

J:

"C:\\program files\\dvd decrypter\\dvddecrypter.exe" /mode iso /dest J: /start /close

c:

NET USE J: \\\\MEDIASERVER\\MEDIA\\MOVIES

J:

RENAME %1%2%3%4%5%6%7%8%9 "%1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9"

C:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.