AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Just watch regular full screen videos. Nothing static. No need to do slides as it does nothing to prolong the panel life other than increase the unnecessary wear on the pixels. The current panel life is still a few times shorter than Plasma (20,000 to 30,000 according to LG officials compare to Plasma's 60,000 to 100,000 hours).

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Just watch regular full screen videos. Nothing static. No need to do slides as it does nothing to prolong the panel life other than increase the unnecessary wear on the pixels. The current panel life is still a few times shorter than Plasma (20,000 to 30,000 according to LG officials compare to Plasma's 60,000 to 100,000 hours).
If you watch 8hrs of TV a day, every day, thats still 10 yrs :).

·
Registered
871 Posts
The unofficial rule of thumb is 100 hours. Just don't game with it during that time or leave a static image. It's okay to watch a letterbox movie during that time, just don't watch 2 or 3 in a row. Oh, and make sure you are not in Vivid mode. That's likely the cause of the problem for people who bought store demos. I don't recall anyone who bought new having burn in.

Personally, I have never even had image retention on my 8800, and my relatively mild green tint along the right side is getting better with age. I really like my 8800. I have an RS4910 in my guest house 30 yards away in a dedicated room, and since I bought the 8800, I use it a lot more than the projector. In fairness, that is partly because I have a new baby too, but if I had not bought my 8800 and was stuck with my old Samsung LCD, I would really be missing my projector. With the 8800, not so much.

·
Registered
516 Posts
does anyone know how long does it take to break them in?
Nobody knows. Nobody even knows if break in does anything...

I did break mine in (for like 50-100hours) just to feel on the safe side, and I have no issues with retention so I guess it doesn't hurt

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Just watch it. I never had any issues with my prior Pioneer Plasma. I guess be careful but when folks start posting this stuff all over again like don't do this, don't do that, only watch one letter-box movie but not more etc all it does is get that same old train going with burn-in perception, static image retention perception etc.. Get a break-in disc, clap your hands five times and turn three complete circles counter-clockwise etc etc..

I never had a single issue with my one and only Pioneer Plasma. I just watched it. Awesome display in the day (non-Elite early day 5071). The second owner, a friend still loves it. Perfect picture. Even I am still amazed when I see it.

Let's not go back down this road with OLED.. Jane "Should I buy one of them there new OLED thingies?" John: "No-I hear you need to be very careful what you watch and I HEAR they get burn-in like those old crappy Plasmas". :eek: "I would just buy an LCD.."

Rick

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
^^^^^ what he said

1500 hours on my 9800 and still going strong , I watched 3 letterbar movies in the first 6-7 hours on the panel. Have watched everything I've wanted to since

Had minor ir when watching the NFL channel for hours on end but was gone in 10-15 mins
Have also played fps shooters and other video games without issue

Still love the tv

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Nobody even knows if break in does anything...
Critical insight there. Because, honestly, without some kind of control group, how could they?
I did break mine in (for like 50-100hours) just to feel on the safe side, and I have no issues with retention so I guess it doesn't hurt
Agreed, it's logically a harmless act.

Robert did report that after 400 hrs, the panels seem to "stabalize", so...
Unless he was instrumenting the panel regularly during the first 600 hours or so, I find this claim at best questionable. "It was wildly fluctuating for 400 hours, then it calmed down and things stopped changing."

Again, WTB control group.

·
Registered
8,394 Posts
SledgeHammer said:
Robert did report that after 400 hrs, the panels seem to ''stabalize'', so...
Unless he was instrumenting the panel regularly during the first 600 hours or so, I find this claim at best questionable. "It was wildly fluctuating for 400 hours, then it calmed down and things stopped changing."

Tom Huffman made a similar claim:
''I don't know if this is typical, but at least in my case the image quality of the EA9800 improved substantially after about a 300-hour break-in period. I now have 389 hours and I am stunned how good it looks, substantially better than the Kuro it replaces. I was not stunned initially, and, as I reported earlier, I initially had black crush that I couldn't calibrate out that gradually went away. ''
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...calibration-anomaly-newest-new-lg-oled-5.html

·
Registered
32,172 Posts

''I don't know if this is typical, but at least in my case the image quality of the EA9800 improved substantially after about a 300-hour break-in period. I now have 389 hours and I am stunned how good it looks, substantially better than the Kuro it replaces. I was not stunned initially, and, as I reported earlier, I initially had black crush that I couldn't calibrate out that gradually went away. ''
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...calibration-anomaly-newest-new-lg-oled-5.html
I loathe quoting myself, but in this case there's a good cause!

I communicated with Robert at VE, who reports some similar issues of fluctuations, uniformity changes, etc. in the early part of the lifespan of the various models of LG OLEDs -- he's seen them all -- before they seem to stabilize.

We call this "anecdata" sometimes, which doesn't make it bad, it's just that he's using expert observations, not instrumentation. It's likely what he's seeing -- and what Tom sees -- is real. Whether it means there is any merit to "break in" is another matter entirely. You should always wait a bit before calibrating your TV, but do you need to do anything than watch it for the first 200, 400, 600 hours? I'm not seeing evidence of that.

I will say if Robert says the TVs take 400 hours to reach some level of stability, you likely will have a similar experience as a viewer. He's seen a lot of TVs.

Reactions: mo949

·
Banned
425 Posts
This is inline with my own findings, though I only have 200 hours currently. Black crushing was horrendous at first no matter what I did, it's gotten better now.

However, now I have a different sort of problem where the black level rises significantly in the center of the screen on very dark content. If the sides didn't stay perfectly black, you might not even notice that particular problem, but the contrast in black level between the center and sides is disturbing at times.

Coming from plasma and CRT, I figured this could be worked out if I display a static image on the sides for a long time and age the sides a little more, but I don't think OLED panels age predictably - at least not these crazy newfangled curved ones.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts