AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the B&W D605 S2 for fronts & am upgrading to separates. I want to bypass the internal amps that drive the subwoofers. Does anyone know how to do this. Should I just turn off the amps on the back of the speakers or do I have to do something else?

·
Registered
30,760 Posts
Why would you want to bypass those amps? They are made to run those subs and I doubt you will be able match any other as well.

Kal

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kal, I was going to use the extra channels of my 7 channel amp at 200W instead of the 130W internal amps. I thought this would be an upgrade or at least provide clipping protection during HT use. Am i missing something? Would I be better off just bi-wiriing the mid and tweeters? Or should i bi wire the center to get the most out of my setup?

·
Registered
30,760 Posts
First, you cannot usefully bypass that amp and there's no reason to do so. Adding more power allows for the possibility of overloading the driver and, perhaps, bypassing custom filtering/control built into the amp.

Second, I am not an advocate of biamping unless you rip out all the crossovers and design a competent line-level crossover. Otherwise, I see no advantage to the bother.

Kal

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
In addition to all the excellent reasons that Kal gave you for why this is a bad idea. It takes doubling the watts for every 3dB gain in volume if everything else stays the same. You'd only gain about 1.5dB in capability. Check this link out as it is a sound ramp at descends at 6dB and then at 3dB per tone. A 1.5dB difference is going to be barely audible.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I'm convinced guys. Guess i was just looking for somewhere to put that extra power. I guess i'll wait till i recover from the separates upgrade & get a proper SUB. Thanks -Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.