AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use the ceiling mount kit that comes as an accesory with the Infocus LP340/LP350? Or is it a DIY?

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use a $200 Peerless mount. If has all the features of the Infocus and Chief mounts like yaw, tilt, and pitch. It also allows you to remove the projector easily for bulb replacement or whatever. Furthermore, the projector plate is shaped to avoid blocking any vents.

Jay

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had to hesitate in revealing my mounting method since it's actually a little embarrassing. But here goes...

I bought $2 worth of plant hooks from Walmart - you know, the kind with the butterfly screws for drywall. They each are rated for 40 pounds. I simply positioned them in the ceiling so that they are in the same relative spacing as the screw holes in the bottom of the projector, then widened them an extra 4" from center for better stability (I guess). Then I found 3 wide-head screws in my screw collection that fit the holes. The other element I found in my fishing tackle box - some braided wire whose use is intended for making home made leaders. Once I had the length perfect for each (took some experimentation with the projector on to get the thing level and the height I wanted) I made adjustable loops so it could be quickly unhooked from the plant-hooks and rehooked when/if necessary. Total cost was probably under 4 bucks. It's kinda neat because people look at the projector and wonder what's holding it up. The Walmart bought hooks are white too, and match the color of the ceiling.

Yeah, I'm a very frugal person!

Gerry

------------------

Skyhawk

- Infocus LP350

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here's another DIY mount. Just got the matching screws for the LP340 feet and drilled them through some particle board that sits on top of two shelf L-Brackets.

http://personal.bellsouth.net/~__bhayes/mount1.jpg

http://personal.bellsouth.net/~__bhayes/mount2.jpg

Brian

Opps...just re-read the title. Guess a wall-mount won't work well on the ceiling. Just got a little digital camera and guess I jumped the gun a bit... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by BHayes (edited 05-25-2001).]

·
Registered
698 Posts
Bhayes,

You're going to blow a lamp in no time for sure...

I've got the 340 upside-down supported by a few books for the moment, about 30cm from the wall... The main air intake for the 340 when it's upside-down is about in the center of the top, it's blocked in your situation. Secondly, the 30cm behind my 340 feel like a furnace when it's been running for 2 hours! You have like a few centimeters looking at the pictures!

------------------

Yves Smolders

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Skyhawk:
I had to hesitate in revealing my mounting method since it's actually a little embarrassing. But here goes...
Holy cow! How far are you from Kanata, Gerry? I might like to see this! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Jay!

New LP340 owner

·
Registered
84 Posts
The pictures don't show the space behind it well. There's actually about 4-5 inches behind the projector. It is a little too close though. But it's been running fine. I run the projector for 8-10 hours straight several times a week, and have about 1000hours on the bulb now.

Brian

·
Registered
698 Posts
Bhayes,

As I am building a husbox design... Is there any way you could tell me how hot the ambient air is around the machine? Front & Back?

Thanks!

------------------

Yves Smolders

·
Registered
203 Posts
Kanata? Where's Kanata? It can't be close to Britannia now could it? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

I do have a couple of pics... unfortunately Yahoo Photos doesn't allow direct access to pics anymore. So you'll have to navigate the photo-album here:
Photo Album

Select the "Home Theater" album, there's only 3 pics there... 2 showing mounting details were lying around that I added today.

Also, I should point out that there is one major problem with just 3 connection points, and that is jiggling for minutes after you touch the projector. I solved this problem by putting two screws in the wall behind the projector and running some heavy gauge wire from the screws to the rear right and middle left screws. This both stablizes the unit and allows me to bend the wire for micro-adjustment, for both up/down and tilt.

And yes, that is a peice of paper in the loop of the fishing leader. It's yet another high-tech micro-adjustment technique!

Gerry

[This message has been edited by Skyhawk (edited 05-26-2001).]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yves,

Well...I don't have a good thermometer. I tried using a normal tongue thermometer and taped it to the wall behind the projector. After about 5 minutes the thermometer EXPLODED... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif The range of the thermometer WAS from 96-106 deg fahrenheit. Any ideas of a better way to measure the temp back there?

/me gets back to cleaning little bits of mercury off his floor.

Brian

·
Registered
698 Posts
Brian,

Sorry I got you in that mess! :)

I don't have a reading yet but I'm looking for a car in/out digital thermometer, as it runs on 12v and I can measure the 2 compartiments I made, one for the clean fresh air in and the "exhaust" with the fans. I had to made that compartiment to muffle the sound... right now without extra vents its so hot I can't touch, at one time I could smell the ducktape I used... :-(

------------------

Yves Smolders

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. How much does the ceiling mount kit of the Infocus LP340/LP350 cost?

Skyhawk,

Appreciate your post. More interested in DIY mount like yours and BHayes.

BHayes,

Your mount gave me an good idea. Will just modify the brackets for ceiling mount.

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
84 Posts
Walter,

I'm glad I could help. I forget who first posted the idea of the L-Brackets, but I've seen several pictures from people on the forum that use the same system. It's cheap and allows easy access to the projector. The L-brackets are about $5 a piece. Not sure about the board, I used a particle board shelf from an old entertainment center. The hardest part really is getting the screws for the LP340. I lost the bag for the screws so I'm not sure about the size. I know they're metric, and I want to say they're 8mm screws. When I bought them I just brought the LP340 with me to Home Depot and tried several until I found the right fit.

Brian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.