AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it might be the same either way but how do you connect to home speakers that are on a receiver to play games? Am I limited to stereo or how do you get the audigy2's 6 channels to work w/ home speakers and receiver? Maybe I'm just not familiar w/ the outputs on the audigy2...I'll go look for a pic while I wait for someone w/ exerience to help! :)

thx

rob

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only have 1 set of inputs on my receiver right? I have my dvd player w/ analogue in right now... :(

any work around or do I have to switch wires every time?

·
Registered
697 Posts
from speakers out. which you have 2 jacks on card. get the cord from radio shake or if you have it already from sound card going to amp RCA input on amp.

in audgy setting don`t check digital only. in speakers setting.

UN check also AC_3.

device control leave to default..

now if your amp has 6.1 system. make sure to set speakers input to analog.

then put your amp to correct input like video 1 or 2 based on where you connect speaker out to your amp.

if you connect your amp to audgy via optical or SPDIF thats another story.

·
Registered
697 Posts
it can not be. that you have only dvd input.

you should have dvd, tape. cd, video1 ,video 2 extra for analogue input.

use one of them to connect cable from sound card to your amp.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob4x20
I only have 1 set of inputs on my receiver right? I have my dvd player w/ analogue in right now... :(

any work around or do I have to switch wires every time?
There's no way to send your multichannel game audio, which isn't DD, to your receiver as a multichannel DD signal unless you have a NForce sound solution (NForce can *encode* multichannel audio into DD - this is a lossy process and degrades the signal, but should be ok for game audio).

Your receiver should have lots of inputs - hopefully theres some for multichannel input (i.e., 5.1 inputs). Their original purpose was to take input from a DVD player where the DVD player was decoding the movie audio. However, most receivers include a DD and even DTS decoder, so if you currently have your DVD player hooked up to your receiver via those multichannel analog inputs, consider instead hooking the DVD player up 'digitally' and letting your receiver decode DD/DTS - this would free up the analog inputs for use by your sound card.

If your DVD player is also a DVD-A or SACD player, then you will still need to keep that hooked up to the receiver via the multichannel analogs as well. I have a receiver, and it only has 1 set of 5.1 multichannel inputs - yet I have both a SACD and DVD-A players so each needs to be connected to the multichannel analogs to get the full audio resolution; the simple solution was 3 (manual) stereo audio A/B switches from Radio Shack - voila!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but there is a digital out on the card that would carry the DD singnal to a digital input on the receiver for DD surround sound games.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yes there is a digital out on the card, but dolby surround does not give you discreete back channels and that method also assumes game audio has dolby surround and/or prologic info encoded into the stereo signal.

If you go with dolby surround in the form of a digital stereo PCM signal instead of multichannel analog then you don't know whether your enemies are killing you from the rear left or rear right. :)

BTW - I should add that there are some speakers out there (maybe already mentioned?) that can accept multi-pcm streams, which the audigy is capable of outputting with the proper connection etc... I've never used them, but that would be a way to keep it digital and still have full discrete game audio.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Well that answers my question lol. I hae an audigy and have been going nuts trying to get DD out of UT, UT2k3 and UII which all say they support DD. here is what thier requirements say:

"Sound: Windows compatible sound card. (NVIDIA nForce or other motherboard/soundcard containing the Dolby Digital Interactive Encoder required for Dolby Digital audio.) Sound Blaster Audigy series sound cards recommended."

so going off that I assumed since I can get DD out for my DVD Movies I could get this working....they even reccomend Audigy cards......

I loaded it up set eerything and...nothing.

I opened the ini files set 3d audio went back in the game....nothing.

Ooh!!! UT Has a specific setting for surround sound turned it on...nothing.

Oh yeah thats right in the audio HQ there is the setting for Dolby Digital Decoding that I may hae to check so the card will decode the audio and then pass it through. Checked it went in to the game, set my options and low and behold!!!!!......nothing.

Oh well that sucked but I rarely play with the stereo on I ususlly just listen to music and DVD Movies through my system.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm just a noob but doesn't the Audigy Plantium series have optical out? Isn't this the same connector used by most mid to high range DVD players? Can't you just use this optical connection to your receiver?

Also, am I reading this right ... the digital out on your SB sound card doesn't send a signal that can be decoded to 5.1 by a receiver?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PretzelB

I'm just a noob but doesn't the Audigy Plantium series have optical out? Isn't this the same connector used by most mid to high range DVD players? Can't you just use this optical connection to your receiver?

Also, am I reading this right ... the digital out on your SB sound card doesn't send a signal that can be decoded to 5.1 by a receiver?
Yes, the Platinum does have an optical out which you can use for your receiver. For multichannel audio, this works for passing through DD/DTS audio data from a DVD movie so that your receiver can decode it. But the Audigy, or any other sound solution for that matter except for NForce, does not *encode* non-DD material into a DD signal.

This means if your using the S/PDIF for non-DD material, i.e., multichannel game audio that is being generated as you play the game, you have to connect to the receiver via analog if you want all the channels (or if you have the 5.1, Audigy, or Audigy 2 and speakers capable of handling multiple pcm streams you can use their 'multi-S/PDIF' connector, which is equivlent of hooking up 3 S/PDIF where each S/PDIF handles 2 channel PCM to give you full 5.1 digital that is PCM, not DD).

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so I need to connect the three analog outs (or are there two?) from the soundcard to the receiver? How do 3 become 5.1? I mean, right left front and rear but how do you get a center and sub out of a pair? I guess that means there must be 3 outs huh? How separate the center and the sub? Just using the crossover on the sub and running dual mono (center and sub)?

ugh, this hurts my head. I need to look at the back of my receiver...

thx

rob

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sherbona,

I'm going to jump in here cause I have a similar question. Which input 'should' provide the better sound QT for things like playing DVDs? Analog (let Audigy decode) or Coax Digital (let receiver decode). THe receiver is a harmon kardon avs8000 thx certified receiver. Right now I have the analogs hooked up, and it sounds pretty good... but it could be all in my mind:rolleyes:

Thanks!!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey good question! I have a denon 3803 and want to run from the pc to it. I bought those wires for analog 6.1 though I'm still trippin' that the yellow can be run to a speaker. :) But whatever, I'm going to try it tonight or tomorrow. This will be best for gaming, right? For dvd/cd music wouldn't running spdif be the best?

what does this card do to sampling rates btw? I have a pioneer 47ai universal hooked up to my analog ins right now, but I'm going to disconnect it for now. I'll look into the switching ideas later, I guess. Anyway, doesn't the Audigy2 play dvd-a? If so, which I think it does, then how will/should it compare to my 47ai dvd -> 3803 setup??

thx

rob

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Quote:
so I need to connect the three analog outs (or are there two?) from the soundcard to the receiver? How do 3 become 5.1? I mean, right left front and rear but how do you get a center and sub out of a pair? I guess that means there must be 3 outs huh? How separate the center and the sub? Just using the crossover on the sub and running dual mono (center and sub)?

ugh, this hurts my head. I need to look at the back of my receiver...

thx

rob
Yeah, if the Audigy 2 is anything like the Audigy 1, then when hooking up via the analogs there are 3 connectors on the back of the card (each connector/line carries a 2 channel stereo signal). On the receiver end each line ends up as 2 rca plugs for a total of 6 plugs into the receiver (including separate plug for sub, separate plug for center, etc...). One thing to note is , at least on the Audigy 1, that the connector that's on the back of the card for the sub/center serves double duty and carries digital when 'digital output' is checked in the surround mixer - so for analog you want to make sure that is not checked so that it carries the analog sub/center signal.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by llama
Sherbona,

I'm going to jump in here cause I have a similar question. Which input 'should' provide the better sound QT for things like playing DVDs? Analog (let Audigy decode) or Coax Digital (let receiver decode). THe receiver is a harmon kardon avs8000 thx certified receiver. Right now I have the analogs hooked up, and it sounds pretty good... but it could be all in my mind:rolleyes:

Thanks!!
If it sounds good to you, that's what counts! :)

I happen to like analog myself, not so much for any perceived sound quality difference (which with my equipment I have not noticed), but for the flexibility of doing it all from the computer (and not getting locked into expensive hardware upgrades when formats/decoders/etc... change). Of course there are advantages the other way too - in fact lately in my living room I've been going the digital route while on my other rig its analog.

Many people will say 'X' is better than 'Y' to your question, but not me. :D Since you already have the soundcard and the reciever, I really recommend just hooking it up both ways and play some material you know pretty well to see which you like better. I recommend considering sound quality, ease of use (not just for DVDs but for other stuff as well, such as if your going to be also playing games you probably don't want to have to switch between analog and digital all the time).

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Quote:
hey good question! I have a denon 3803 and want to run from the pc to it. I bought those wires for analog 6.1 though I'm still trippin' that the yellow can be run to a speaker. :) But whatever, I'm going to try it tonight or tomorrow. This will be best for gaming, right? For dvd/cd music wouldn't running spdif be the best?

what does this card do to sampling rates btw? I have a pioneer 47ai universal hooked up to my analog ins right now, but I'm going to disconnect it for now. I'll look into the switching ideas later, I guess. Anyway, doesn't the Audigy2 play dvd-a? If so, which I think it does, then how will/should it compare to my 47ai dvd -> 3803 setup??

thx

rob
Lots of questions, hopefully I get them all... :p

1. For gaming, analog is best as you can have full multichannel discreet sound; if your receiver can 'gang' multiple digital streams together, or if you have certain 'digital' speaker systems, then you can send multiple digital streams from the audigy instead - but this is not as common.

2. Regarding DVD/CD music, S/PDIF is not necessarily the best. Using a digital connection between the soundcard and the receiver may or may not be better sounding then analog - it all depends on the quality of your receiver's DACs and design compared to the soundcard's DACs and design. Another factor is format you are playing, i.e., suppose you are playing multichannel WMA Pro audio, you'd be better off sending it to your receiver via the analogs since if you go digital you would only have the front two channels.

3. S/PDIF rates are adjustable (at least for me with Augigy 1, in AudioHQ). However, sampling (or should I say re-sampling) is an issue. I believe with the Audigy 2, the main resampling issue is that 44.1kHz material is re-sampled to 48kHz - it would be more desirable if it stayed at 44.1kHz.

4. Yes, Audigy 2 does play DVD-As (using the analogs). However, it doesn't play SACDs. If I recall, your Pioneer can play both hi-res formats so keep in mind that for SACDs you'll end up being able to play only the cd layer of your SACD hybrids from your computer.

I don't really know enough of your setup to give you an answer as far as how the sound will compare (for DVD-As) - but then again even if you gave me every detail I'd just be guessing. :D

In my living room for hi-res playback I'm currently using 2 different standalones (a Toshiba for DVD-A and a Sony for SACD). To get around the 'too many analog lines to connect' issue, I'm using (2) inexpensive 3-line A/B switchers from radio shack. Maybe something similar would work for you, i.e., switched to A for your Pioneer and switched to B for the analogs from the soundcard.

Good luck with that.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
check it out, then...I just found out that my OEM soundcard didn't come w/ the stupid little cable that runs from the actual dvd/cd drive to the card. I guess it's for the digital stream? Actually, I don't know what that thing does exactly. Anyway, Fryes is closed and radiosmack doesn't carry them, I called.

What does that cable do? The online manual seems to say I could hook some cable to the analog-in or (and/or?) a 'digital-in'. What's the difference practically speaking? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Anyway I know I need a cable (one of the two, or both?, as noted above) going from the optical drive to the card. If I try this rig without it tonight/tomorrow, since I can't get one sooner, what will happen? Will games still work? Will all the proper drivers/installion happen? WTH? :)

I am thinking alot about your a/b radio shack doohickey for the two 6.1 switcher? I'm worried about loss of the boost dvd-a and sacd are supposed to provide. Can you tell a difference?

man, let me know what's up and sorry for another barrage of q's!

later

rob

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I just answered in the other thread, but here's some more detail.

That cable is used for connecting ROM drive to an input on the soundcard for CD audio - but for awhile now the OS and software supports having the CD audio come over the IDE line as data instead. So the cable really isn't needed anymore.

If you connect the ROM to the soundcard with one of those cables, then the ROM feeds an audio signal (usually analog but some ROMs can feed a variant of S/PDIF digital) from an audio CD to the soundcard. But for reasons I mentioned in the other thread its usually better to use the 'digital audio' method where the CD audio comes in as data over the IDE line instead of using any other connector on the back of the drive.

Bottomline - the cable is 'legacy' and isn't needed anymore; you're good to go without it, games will work, cd audio will work etc....

Hope this helps :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.