AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a surround sound processor that has one subwoofer output. Actually two: One balanced output and one RCA output.

If you want to use 2 subwoofers in your surround sound system, I've been told you just get a "y-splitter" and connect both subs to that one splitter.

However, how would you connect more than two subwoofers from one "sub output?" For example, if you wanted to put 4 subwoofers in each corner of your home theater room, how would you do it? Would you run all 4 subwoofers from that single RCA "sub out"?

Since none of the subwoofers I'm looking at have balanced inputs, is there any way I could use the balanced "sub out" and maybe split the signal twice from both the balance sub out and RCA sub out?

I just don't get how people are able to use multiple subwoofers in their home theater systems when they only have one output on their processor for a subwoofer? I can see connecting dual subwoofers that are running off of a "y-splitter" but can you run more than 2 off of a typical "y-splitter"?

I just don't know that much about subwoofers or how to hook them up. It would be great if my processor had a "sub out" for maybe 4 or 5 channels, left front left, front right, back left, back right, etc. but I don't have that much money to explore that territory. Thanks!

Any thoughts on how this is done or can be done? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
splitter the Y splitter = 3 Y splitters = 4 outputs

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
You have to remember that everytime you split the signal you get less of a signal. Do it too many times and you won't have enough signal to pick up on the sub amp.

Why not use your other balanced output. If you just have rca inputs on both subs just run one of them rca to rca and the other xlr to rca using a cable from monoprice.com. That may be a better solution and the cable is less than $10 depending on the size you get.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbit /forum/post/17043271

splitter the Y splitter = 3 Y splitters = 4 outputs

Yes, this is the way to do it. I had two HSU 3.3's and two MBM-12 on the one LFE out on the reciever using "Y" splitters. And I also used a Anti Mode 8033 just after the LFE out on the reciever to EQ them all at the same time. Worked very well for a year or so until I went with a single sub, Conquest.

Bill

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I have four 15 inch subs running off of my receivers single sub out. I have split the signal four times right at the back of my receiver. I have no lack of signal. I am using 4 Monster sub cables and Monster Y splitters. I feel the use of good cable is important when doing this. I realize that your system is a little different than mine since I am using an Onkyo TX-SR-805 receiver. It can take some work getting 4 subs dialed in properly. It can be done. My 4 sub theater sounds really good. It can be done.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/17045143

You have to remember that everytime you split the signal you get less of a signal. Do it too many times and you won't have enough signal to pick up on the sub amp.

Most modern units could drive 10 to 20 subs with little signal loss. Modern units have a very low output impedance and modern subs have a high input impedance so the signal level stays almost the same. One problem when hooking up lots of subs is ground loops, from using different AC power circuits.

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
I would not worry about loss of signal. I split my one sub out 8 times for 8 subs. I used to split it 9 times with shakers. I also use 7 behringer amps which are known to be hard to drive(with low signal) and I have no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/17051462

I would not worry about loss of signal. I split my one sub out 8 times for 8 subs. I used to split it 9 times with shakers. I also use 7 behringer amps which are known to be hard to drive(with low signal) and I have no problems whatsoever.

All I can say is WOW.

I was going for 4 identical subs in each corner of the room but that didn't work out.

Now I have speakers that each have matching subs, but I customer ordered a 3rd sub almost 3 months ago that I can't return. It's so totally different in every way from the other 2 subs I have which are identical.

So I have two sealed 12" subs and one ported dual 18" driver sub. The sealed subs match the sealed speakers from the same company. I was thinking of those as the "stereo" subs. Then maybe use this monster sub which has dual 18" drivers as my true low, very low frequency sub.

The sealed subs are good down to about 35Hz and the ported sub is good down to 12hz at 100db or something insane. I have no idea how I can work this out.

I am encouraged about being able to split these subs, but then realized they were different size drivers, different companies and ported and sealed. Yikes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry guys, i have to bump this thread.

I am deciding to buy Marantz SR6009 or NAD T758 and I have 2 subwoofers.
Thing is that Marantz has 2 sub outputs but NAD has only 1.

I know I can use the y-splitter as suggested up above but do you lose sound quality ? how Marantz SR6009 internally implements 2 separate sub outs ? or does it really matter ?

Thank you,
D.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I split my single signal into 4 amps (3 subs and one shaker set).
I have been harassing monoprice to make a good quality splitter. They sell a high quality cable with two males and one female, but not what we are looking for. One male, two female.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=6261&seq=1&format=2
They have a crappy 50 cent splitter no no cables, but I found it to bend too easy.
I have some of these. Not impressed with the male end quality. I no longer use them.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042904&p_id=7186&seq=1&format=2
I am currently using these, pretty low quality feel, but its working fine.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021803&p_id=663&seq=1&format=2

I actually just purchased these higher quality parts. I doubt I'll notice an audio change, but I'll feel better. I have not received them yet.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009MFRW0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DL2OVE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

1 - 11 of 11 Posts