AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You need two wires, correct? One for power and another for VGA or RGB? So what do you have, cables running down the celling and then the wall? I'm drywalling the HT room and was thinking of putting the wires underneath wall/celling with a wall insert on celling and wall to hook up the projector and HTPC respectively. But i don't know which wires / wall inserts to use as i don't own a projector yet. Help please!

·
Registered
569 Posts
d!abolic,

With most projectors you have two choices and with some, three. Either S-Video, Component, or DVI with S-Video producing the least desirable image and DVI the best. As you upgrade the pj you may want to take advantage of a new, as yet undefined, cable type. I would recommend putting in 3" conduit if you have room for it. IF not, then I would recommend putting in component and DVI. I use component for my non-DVI satellite receiver and DVI for my DVD player. I will soon only use DVI as I upgrade my satellite box. Also, unless you're using a fiber optic DVI cable, you want to keep your power and your signal cables separated by at least 1 foot to avoid 'noise' from the power line. I actually have two conduits running to my hushbox, one for power and one for the signal cables.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You really should have an a/c outlet installed where you want the projector mounted. Running an extension cord or the like through the wall will not pass code.

I would run at least one DVI-D cable and one component cable.

--Scott

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
As noted, run conduit during your construction phase.... then you can easily pull whatever cable you want.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where can i read up on conduits? I have no idea what they are or how to install em. Also, how expensive is fiber optic DVI? I don't have the luxury of having 1 foot space in there.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Fiber optic DVI is currently very expensive $395+ for 20'+ runs, and is really unnecessary.

Plan on running component video, DVI, and S-Video from whereever you plan to have your A/V equipment to the projector.

check out www.ramelectronics.com for a good idea of lengths and prices for cables. Do a search on this forum for "cables" and you'll get tons of links to other cable manufacturers, and possible some answers to your other questions.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Conduit is just an empty plastic tube. I used the stuff most people use for rain-gutters. I ran component, S-video, composite, DVI-D, RJ45 network cable and standard coax, and kept my conduit empty except for a guide-wire for future stuff.

My current projector has no use for half these things, but I figure I'll change projectors before I drywall again.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Isn't a rain gutter tube a little large? Doable i guess, but i don't think that much space is needed. Also, how do i set up a guide-wire up properly?

·
Registered
193 Posts
A guided wire is just an extra wire you leave in the conduit. That way if you need to add another cable later, say a phone cable or something, you connect the head end of the phone cable to the tail end of the guide wire.....pull the head end of the guide wire and boom you have your phone cable in there now without having to fish it through or go back into your attic.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The easiest conduit to run is the flexible conduit. You'll find it at any home renovation center in the electrical department. They'll cut it to any lenth you need. Buy a fish tape so you can fish the wires through and use dishwasher soap on the wires so that you don't burn the wire casing as you pull it through.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just installed two different conduit in the construction of my HT.

First I used a couple of pieces of 1.5" drain pipe ($8) coupled together. Then I changed my plans and moved my components so I installed a 2" flexible plastic water line. It works GREAT it has flexibility, smooth inside, and plenty of room to pull cables back and forth. Install a piece of parachute cord or thin strong rope TWICE the length of your pipe so you can pull wire from either end of the wire chase.

Wire an outlet (I switched mine) near the projector installation location.

Good Luck!

joe

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there any way to make a reusable guide wire? Because once i pull up a wire with it, its gone right?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe MN
Install a piece of parachute cord or thin strong rope TWICE the length of your pipe so you can pull wire from either end of the wire chase.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by d!abolic
Is there any way to make a reusable guide wire? Because once i pull up a wire with it, its gone right?
If you make the guide wire (rope) TWICE plus a couple of feet you can tie a stopper to the ends and pull to the stopper on one end, attatch the wire you want to pull (NEAR the center), pull the opposite stopper until your wire comes out, then pull wire or rope back to the source (gear storage area) to use again.

Stopper-->0-------------Center-->0--------------Stopper-->0

Hope it makes some sense reading it.

joe

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gotcha, thanks guys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.