AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Cedric,

First, you'll need a wireless keyboard. If used with the standard Pronto, then you'll want it to be IR instead of RF. Now actually having a Pronto would be nice, but much cheaper Learning Remote will work just fine.

When using the HTPC for DVD playback, the software decoder will often have keystrokes associated with the DVD player command, i.e. P for Play, S for Stop, F for Fast Forward etc. You simply teach these command from your IR keyboard to the learning remote of your choice, quite simple process.

How do you start the DVD player? You can simply put the DVD program into your start up, which would then kick on everytime you boot. You should still have your keyboard around to navigate, although I have programmed some Windows keys and shortcuts into my Pronto that allows me to open certain the other programs I use for my HT applications.

I also use a menu program on top of Windows with the specific applications that I use available on a number button sequence, 1 for DVD, 2 for HDTV, 3 for CD/MP3, etc. which I have taught into my Pronto. The HTPC boots into this screen which covers the Windows Desktop which is simple enough for anyone to use, a simple large icon OSD.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
First this is not really the best forum and if you do a few searches on IR control in the HTPC forum you will get many threads to read up on...

The above method is a good starter and many people do no more than this and are very happy, but...

For full application control and manipulation I would recommend getting an IRMan or other Girder compatible IR receiver for the PC and using an application called Girder which accurately targets the application you are trying to control and provides all sorts of additional control methods and tools...

The combo of Pronto and Girder is so powerful I can not think of any repeatable job that cannot be reduced to button press IR control...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.