I have been to doom9 and vcdhelp, but cannot find a guide to convert

a DVD to DIVX. Anyone know where I can get instructions on how to

convert DVDs to DIVX?

Thanks.

Hobbieman

·
Registered
481 Posts
Have you looked at the forums on Doom9. There are many freewares on doom9 that can do the conversions.

In short get a software to rip the DVDs like vstrip or smart rip. Once you have to the VOBs you can use Divx 4 guide to get the rest of stuff. I think Gordianknot does most of the stuff automatically (the rip and encoding). I am not too sure.

·
Registered
148 Posts
How did you not see any guides on doom9.net. That site is like dedicated to dvd and converting, to divx, svcd, vcd, etc.

On the left-hand side of the webpage there is a like to Guides, and then you can choose what you want to convert to. If you choose divx, it then ask which codec you want to use, 3.11, 4 or 5. The guides are great, fairly easy to follow.

oh yeah if you meant a straight conversion from dvd to divx, it's not possible. You gotta rip the vobs, convert the video, convert the audio, and join them together.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I will go get all those guides.

Yes, I know how to rip the DVD to the harddrive. I followed the Doom9

guide that uses DVDDecrypter. I just could not find the guide that explained

how to convert the "vobs" (for the main movie) to Divx.

BTW, everytime I rip only the "main movie" from DVD to harddrive, the

audio is all messed up. The movie begins with the normal dialog, then

about half way through the movie, it switches into the director's commentary.

Because of this, I am having to rip the entire thing! All 8gigs of it! What could

I be doing wrong? I let DVDDecrypter select the main movie.

Hobbieman.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just did the gknot conversion for the first time following the guide on doom9 and I am trully stunned by the quality. I thought that I was gonna get quality similar to that of movies floating around the net.

The result is brilliant video (even with the old 3.11 codec) and ac3 sound if you desire.

This guide was really hard to follow though, being newb and all...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I admit to being a computer geek, but I have been a bit hesitant to install 13 programs, take 37 steps to make backups of my DVDs. Tonight I read this thread, downloaded Gordian Knot, and voila! I'm encoding a DVD as we speak. Sure, there were a few steps, but the guides are 90% complete, only leaving me with a few questions and a project being encoded.

When I see the end results of the encode, I'll post it. My review, not the file!

Peter

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dkan24
how do you encode to divx and still keep ac3 sound?
You'll have to mux the unaltered AC3 stream with the divx encoded video. Be sure to install the audio filters available from doom9.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I have been playing around with EasyDivx . It seems to work quite well in general. It does everything for you, the ripping, encoding, even keeping the AC3 (though you need special filters installed to play it back). You have to make sure you select the right fps in order to get audio synch, however.

Mike

·
Registered
236 Posts
Quote:
how do you encode to divx and still keep ac3 sound?
There's a section in the guide explaining what to do should you choose ac3 or mp3. I can't give advise since I am a complete novice at this.

All the necessary stuff for audio and video comes with the Gordian knot package. Simply reading the install instructions and following their encoding guides will give very good results.

·
Registered
752 Posts
right now I am using vidomi to encode into divx5 with mp3 audio. Ripped from smartripper. There are only 2 steps. I don't want to get into anything that is going to add more steps. I guess I will wait until ac3 audio is incorporated into vidomi. Thanks anyway though!

·
Registered
408 Posts
dkan24:

the guides are not that hard to follow you just need to take the time to read through the guide. truth be told using the AC3 audio is easier then encoding it to mp3 and it saves you time. the only drawback to using the AC3 is that you need to install the extra filters ( the Nimo pack will work ) and it will take up extra space.

·
Registered
752 Posts
how many steps does it take, using the guide that you use? Also, how much bigger is the file? I am looking to fit a movie on 2 cd-r's. Right now I encode divx5 at 2400 2 pass, 192 mp3 audio. Set target to 2 discs. Works nicely. I would lower the video rate a little to fit ac3, but still want it to fit onto 2 cdr's.

·
Registered
408 Posts
nuthead:

Let us know haw you encode goes. Just one q though. Did you use the compresability feature? If so what did you end up with before you encoded? if you got anyware between 70 and 100 % your encode should look very good

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
EasyDivx is a single step (although some more-protected DVDs need to be ripped separately). It lets you tune how much space you want the movie to take.

Mike

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dkan24
does easydivx allow for ac3?
Yes.

Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.