AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Bbonline $3.99 plan for about 4 months after using them and netflix back and forth for a about 2 years. maybe longer. At one point, I even had the 7 at a time Netflix. And another I had the 3 at a time from each.

In the early part of the decade, I would buy only. Then with netflix I began to only rent. Then I got back into the buying phase when I went with HD DVD and then Bluray. Now I do a mix of them both.

I generally buy my TV Shows on disk as you can spend almost as much renting them 1 buy one.

Ones that I know I will definitely keep like TDK, I just buy on BD (or HD DVd if it is still available)

Ones that I am unsure of, I rent first. and then buy.

It gets hard trying to keep this organized. I recently switched back to netlfix, but created a new account (for the free promo).
  • Last night I went through every single BD they had, looked at the reviews and some trailers, and put together a list of BDs that I definitely want to rent. I used a combination of ebert and user reviews and my own judgement.
  • The ones that I had seen but wanted to own, I put on my amazon saved list.
  • As I rent this new list, I will add the ones that I want own to the amazon list and keep an eye out for says when they come up.
  • I figure from here on out, I will keep an eye on blu-raystats.com to add the new release to each list depending where they would fall.

After going through all 39 pages, I added some movies that I had never heard of or forgot had come out. Some that I always meant to watch but never got around to it.

Anyone else do this type of thing, or am I the only one without a life?

In the end, I went back to netflix because my own personal habits predispose me to watching online content as well.... and I have an HTPC which helps. The netflix just isn't anywhere near the quality of HDM on my 94" screen so there are some that I purposely do not watch there. And as much as they claim they have 10,000 movies online, I feel like I have cable back 8 years ago. 100+ channels and nothing good on. sigh.

I decide using three sources
  • Ebert Reviews. Anything 4 star or higher is an almost definite watch for me.
  • User Reviews. Problem is trying to finding reviews that say more than "it was the best film ever". Sometimes, the negative reviews are more helpful
  • Trailers.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
It mostly depends on the film. I would say it only depends on the film, but there are some cases where I make exceptions if I feel the transfer is screwed up (Patton, Gangs of New York). I don't expect perfection though.

I don't blind buy anymore either, except in a few cases such as some sequels and any Pixar movies I don't see in the theater.

BTW, Ebert doesn't go over 4 stars in his reviews. Were you looking for the elusive 5-star films?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I rent almost exclusively. Up until a few years ago, I was exclusively buying. Now, if it's something that I absolutely know that I'll like, I'll consider buying it.

Renting has opened up a variety of movies to me that I wouldn't have considered buying. But, it has also taught me a lesson that blind buys are too risky. Critically acclaimed movies that I couldn't stand have changed my thoughts on buying forever.

The older I get, the more I'm considering using my buying power to act as a mini-patron of the motion picture arts. I'll reward those who produce products I love by buying their movies. I won't randomly reward those who produce titles I don't like, agree with, or have no interest in.

Scott

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I have always rented (Netflix for the last two years) any title that I was unfamiliar with. I do purchase any title that appeals to me/us. Many titles have been purchased several times (VHS/Beta, LaserDisc, DVD, D-Theater and now Blu-ray). All of this is tracked in FileExpress, Quattro and Movie Collectorz.

I would suggest the Blu-ray reviews of Ralph Potts right here on AVS. Click here . I also like to read Kris Deering’s Blu-ray disc reviews in Home Theater Magazine.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. I do read Ralph's reviews as well. There are some movies that he has reviewed with a positive that most reviewers tend to kill. A good example is Jingle all the Way. While I believe I am in the minority, I really like that movie. Once it drops, I will add it to my collection.

Another thing that I have been checking are the reviews on hidefdigest.com. I don't agree with many of their takes on the movie, but I use it more of a gauge to see if it is worth getting the BD over DVD. I saved some money getting the complete version of the matrix instead of the ultimate for HD DVD back a year ago. I already had the animatrix DVD so the need to upgrade to the more expensive version was not necessary. Their assessments on PQ and AQ are usually spot on. I also rented the Christmas Story first instead. Their review of the bad transfer was good too. while it is better than my DVD version, I don't think it is worth upgrading to the HD version as it just didn't transfer well for my tastes.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini /forum/post/15507628

I agree. I do read Ralph's reviews as well. There are some movies that he has reviewed with a positive that most reviewers tend to kill.

I like Ralph's reviews as well. He is an extremely consistent reviewer in terms of his standards and descriptions, especially on PQ/AQ issues.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith /forum/post/15512817

I like Ralph's reviews as well. He is an extremely consistent reviewer in terms of his standards and descriptions, especially on PQ/AQ issues.

Indeed. Plus unlike some reviewers he really seems to like movies and when he

he has something negative to say about something he is giving genuine constructive criticism.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't buy Blu-Ray discs unless I know the PQ is 5/5 and the price is acceptable.

I don't remember buying any Fox titles in a long time because of their $30+ per movie and most Blu-Ray titles are actually not much better then up-scaled DVD on my HD-A30 or PS3.

So I only buy Blu-Rays that are 1. my favorite movie, 2. Has top notch quality. Other then that I either watch it on Vudu or XBL (less on XBL because of DD only sound) or rent from Blockbuster.

One reason why I hesitate is the price. They are just way too expensive. I understand a few bucks difference for new release (they usually even match the price of DVD release) but I can't justify $20 premium over the same movie I can buy for $4-$5 on catalog title DVD sale that looks just slightly worse then poor transfer to Blu-Ray. It's just too much so I'll probably pass on these type of transfers even if I really love the movie. 2 exceptions were Wall Street and Gangs of New York but even though transfer was poor it was good enough for me to purchase them since there's nothing better.

I usually read Mr. Potts reviews too because I think he's forgiving for some things in them about the film and really also gives appropriate rating to a movie even if it's not super great story wise but packed with entertainment but he does point that out. I appreciate that he's firm on quality as well.

After that if the review is not in here, I look at HighDef Digest. That's about it.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Well, I look at it as a case by case basis. Each time I come across a film that I like, I have to ask myself a series of questions.

Do I like the movie?

Do I like it enough to buy it at this price?

Is this the best version of this movie?

Is it available cheaper elsewhere?

Basically, if it gets past all that it gets bought, otherwise, I can wait.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts