AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From my understanding you should build a completely enclosed box for each speaker out of MDF and than use dense foam to line the entire box from top to bottom and than use Accoustical cloth for the Grill covers. Is there any thing else I'm missing here?

Also, is there anything special I should do for the subs enclosed in the cabinets. I'm thinking about going with two Velodyne DD10's in cabinet?

I appreciate any input or idea's anyone might have.

Thanks so much

Steve

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kal,

So your saying if it's not form fitted, forget it? I guess some of the people I spoke to were wrong and it will sound terrible unless it's form fitted.

I know it's not ideal but I'm curious as to what you think it will do in terms of sound?

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
30,819 Posts
Any space will allow for resonances and reflections. Keep surrounding space to a minimum and filled completely with sound-absorbing materials. Keep the speakers flush with the front or, even better, protruding from the front of the cabinets to minimise edge diffraction.

Better yet: Get speakers designed for in-wall or flush-mounting.

But even better: Leave the speakers free-standing.

What are you trying to achieve?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kal,

We can build the cabinet to do what you mention because it's a custom cabinet and the look were going for is to have the speakers not showing. When you say flush mount are you referring to a inwall speaker or what. I really want the best sound but don't like the idea of having the speakers showing.

Just to clarify, if I was going to go with Atlatic Technology speakers (4200e THX) system free standing system, would I be better to just buy the Atlantic Tecnology in wall IWTS-20 THX speakers and have them mounted inside the cabinet?

Thanks again

Steve

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
IF you are talking front speakers why not an acoustically transparent wall and screen, [SMX] with the speakers behind, it is FABULOUS.

Then enclose surround speakers in AT columns.

If you put free standing speaker in a cabinet you will be very very sorry when you hear them.

If you don't care what the theater sounds like then go for it.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I have my front L & R speakers in an enclosure at the top of my equipment rack designed the correct size to specifically hold them:

As well as each of my two subs inside an acoustic-insulation-lined cavity in the stage. the subs are front-firing and front-ported.

Both blend in nicely, and would be completely hidden if I chose to cover the openings with grill cloth.

·
Registered
30,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven /forum/post/0

Kal,

We can build the cabinet to do what you mention because it's a custom cabinet and the look were going for is to have the speakers not showing. When you say flush mount are you referring to a inwall speaker or what. I really want the best sound but don't like the idea of having the speakers showing.

Just to clarify, if I was going to go with Atlatic Technology speakers (4200e THX) system free standing system, would I be better to just buy the Atlantic Tecnology in wall IWTS-20 THX speakers and have them mounted inside the cabinet?

Thanks again

Steve

I think the in-walls would be better. How about asking the folks at Triad, Atlantic, Polk, Paradigm, PSB, etc? These are reliable manufacturers of in-wall systems and they can advise you which options are preferred.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.