AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I'd like to get the Amazon Fire Stick, but I am stumped when it comes to getting the promised 5.1 sound out of it. It looks like it plugs into the TV, which is fine, but how do you get the 5.1 signal to the A/V receiver (or pre/pro)?
Is it possible to insert it into the HDMI port on a Blu Ray player, like the Oppo 103?
Any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
S

·
Registered
22,294 Posts
Is it possible to insert it into the HDMI port on a Blu Ray player, like the Oppo 103?
Yes, it will work quite well that way. Also note that the stick responds to HDMI CEC commands from some AVRs, (Yamaha at least), so plugging into an AVR might yield additional benefits. But it will work on ANY device with an HDMI input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks

Thanks for the forgoing replies. I would have thought that you could use the Fire Stick in this way, but when I looked at the short manual that Amazon provides it gave the TV connection only -- no mention of other signal paths that would work... so I assumed this was an issue. Anyway I guess it isn't!
S

·
Registered
22,294 Posts
To address your question directly, like any HDMI device the Stick will handshake for audio format and deliver whatever the device asks for. In the case of TVs, that's usually 2-ch PCM. It's easy enough to try with your TV but expect to get stereo. With any device that supports it you will get 5.1 DD+ when its available on the title you are playing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts