AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed that the surround backs don't have sound on dts-master hd on blu-ray and can't press dts-neo or pl2x unlike when watching dvd movies. I just converted to 7.1 set up so still can't figure it. Receiver is Marantz sr7002.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Not all receivers can apply surround processing in all cases. Might be a limitation of it's DSP power.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I seem to recall some Marantz receivers being on the list of not having enough processing power to decode lossless codecs and still generate audio for the rear channels. That's probably what you're encountering.

The only workaround is to do audio decoding in the player and send it to the receiver as multichannel PCM, rather than bitstream.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/18259753

I seem to recall some Marantz receivers being on the list of not having enough processing power to decode lossless codecs and still generate audio for the rear channels. That's probably what you're encountering.

The only workaround is to do audio decoding in the player and send it to the receiver as multichannel PCM, rather than bitstream.

Thanks Roboray. That is actually what I am guessing right now. Since Marantz wouldn't allow audyssey or any other eq on tru hd and dts hd master. Just wondering though.... After all the hardwork I did to add new speakers huh. LOL. Oh well. I actually ordered speaker mounts so I can tilt the side surrounds as I have them too high because one side is where the door opens. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Can your BluRay player decode TrueHD and DTS MA? If it does, you're still in business. Your receiver can still do it's magic, so long as you send it PCM audio.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
On the Marantz?

You set the player to PCM for HDMI and then engage the post processing of your choice.

I am pretty sure you also need to set your player to scale audio output to 48khz too.

·
Registered
13,741 Posts
It depends on what brand of player you have. For panasonic players, they will output PCM 7.1 all the time and you still won't get any thing in the back surround.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts