AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first, let me preface this by saying that I'm not trying to start a flame war. I own all current generation video game systems and consider myself "highly unbiased" as to which consoles are better than others. I like halo, resistance, wii bowling, and everything in between.

However, one game I haven't been able to enjoy is Little Big Planet. I can't seem to put my finger on the reason for why I don't like this game. It's gotten great reviews and for all intents and purposes it seems like it's a great game. But, I just don't like it.

Maybe it's because the game has locked up the last 75% of times I've tried to play "quickplay" mode... maybe it's just because I haven't played thought all of the levels in the main story mode. Maybe I simply haven't put enough hours into the game. Maybe it's because I find the whole "customization" (outfits, hats, shoes) aspect amateurish...

I'm just wondering, for all of the "unbiased" gamers out there.. what got you and your friends interested in the game? Did it involve downloading certain levels, like "mario style" or "sonic style" levels? Was it from doing quickplay mode? Was it from playing online? Whenever I get a group of people together to play this game, we just end up frustrated and end up moving to a different 4 player games like mario kart, sceneit, or Buzz.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
It's OK if LBP isn't your cup of tea... everybody's tastes are different. I disliked highly regarded titles like Oblivion & GTAIV, and even found MGS4 to be a little stale. That being said, LBP is best enjoyed as a multiplayer game with friends and family.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I got into it on my own because I like the level creator. I got into it with a buddy and we've been doing the Story Mode levels; the later ones are pretty nuts, so if you haven't gotten past, say, the second 'world' of levels, you're really missing out on some great level design.

That said, it's not for everybody. No game is (except maybe Beyond Good & Evil).

I don't really know how to explain it, it's just fun. Sackboy is a charming character in my opinion, and seeing four of them in ridiculous outfits slapping each other, dancing, and trying to complete a level, foul up somebody's jump by grabbing them, or accomplish some co-op task just brings a smile to my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSuave /forum/post/15522839

I find the whole "customization" (outfits, hats, shoes) aspect amateurish...

Amateurish? I'm not sure what you mean by this. In what way?

·
Registered
589 Posts

Quote:
Maybe it's because the game has locked up the last 75% of times I've tried to play "quickplay" mode...

i had this problem too but i fixed it. I was always getting "failed to load all player profiles" i read that by putting the mtu in the internet settings to 1492 it would maybe fix it and it worked.

I think lbp is a very good game but it is frustrating, excellent graphics though and probably worth it to play through at least once. I fell in love when i played online, it was just amazing to me how seamless that experience was.

·
Banned
128 Posts
You either like a game or you don't. I am having the same problem with Fable 2 right now. I have put in about 5 hours and I am just not having that much fun. I want to, my friends did, but it is just not clicking for me. For me LBP is about the physics engine, platforming, and the fun. I love the fact that you can be running through a level with a friend, come across an area with a trampoline, and then waste the next 45 minutes jumping on it. The character control is pretty tight too and I believe it is due to the fact that all interactions are physics based. If you don't make that jump the exact same as you did the last time then you might not make it.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
My favorite part of the game is the main story mode. I'm not the biggest fan of the user-created levels, and I've only dabbled in the creation mode. I'm not a hardcore gamer so trying to shoot for 100% in the story mode takes a good amount of time for me...

·
Registered
670 Posts
I agree with the OP. I just do not find LBP to be any fun at all. This was my most anticipated game this holiday and I couldn't get over the mushy jumping mechanics and the laggy online play.

I was never planning to create levels, but I just found the game boring. I don't get the endless perfect reviews for it either as I can't imagine at least a few reviewers feel the same way.

·
Banned
128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet /forum/post/15523690

I couldn't get over the mushy jumping mechanics and the laggy online play.

This is one argument that is popular but I do not quite understand why. To me mushy implies that the control is not precise and I argue the exact opposite. Like I said, because of the physics based movement if the timing is off then that will have a huge impact on how the character interacts with the environment. I have been able to pull off some gymkata moves simply because of these controls. Having said all that, we all perceive and interact with things differently.

·
Registered
753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordho /forum/post/15523474

You either like a game or you don't.

I've yet to play LBP but I hate Uncharted Drake's Fortune despite the fact that "everyone" loves it
I also can't stand most FPS or any music games yet these seemed to be the most universally popular
so I must be a freak
Thus I've learned to avoid disappointment by renting games first regardless of how popular or highly rated they are.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSuave /forum/post/15522839

first, let me preface this by saying that I'm not trying to start a flame war. I own all current generation video game systems and consider myself "highly unbiased" as to which consoles are better than others. I like halo, resistance, wii bowling, and everything in between.

However, one game I haven't been able to enjoy is Little Big Planet. I can't seem to put my finger on the reason for why I don't like this game. It's gotten great reviews and for all intents and purposes it seems like it's a great game. But, I just don't like it.

Maybe it's because the game has locked up the last 75% of times I've tried to play "quickplay" mode... maybe it's just because I haven't played thought all of the levels in the main story mode. Maybe I simply haven't put enough hours into the game. Maybe it's because I find the whole "customization" (outfits, hats, shoes) aspect amateurish...

I'm just wondering, for all of the "unbiased" gamers out there.. what got you and your friends interested in the game? Did it involve downloading certain levels, like "mario style" or "sonic style" levels? Was it from doing quickplay mode? Was it from playing online? Whenever I get a group of people together to play this game, we just end up frustrated and end up moving to a different 4 player games like mario kart, sceneit, or Buzz.

You don't like it, you don't like it. I tried to make myself like Assassin's Creed when it first came out because of all the good reviews, but IMO it sucked bigtime. So trying to figure out how to llike something is not going to work.

With that said...

·
Registered
171 Posts
While I love LBP and had no trouble getting addicted to it, I have to admit that the lag in online play is absolutely horrendous. I completely gave up playing co-op online and my experience improved greatly. It's awesome playing alone or with up to 3 other players on the same system.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
No sweat dude, you don't need to justify or "figure out" why you don't like it.

If everybody liked the same thing, there'd only be one game.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
i understand the ops feeling. i had it too when i started playing alone.

then i was invited by some friends and we played it co op. and could not stop it ever since.

basicly i play this game almost every day for like 30 mins in co op. then stop it.

if this game was single player only. i would have been disappointed too. lucky it has co op though

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
If you are a fan of side scrolling platformers then LBP will be your type of game. Maybe the cutesy stuff is a turn off for some but for me I loves me some LBP. Have to admit I haven't played it much on my system but it seems whenever I'm at a buddies we're messing around with it online. He usually finds the best custom maps. It's time though for me to 'finish the game' on my own system so I can have all the extra goodies to build my own maps. I've already sketched out something by hand on what I want to make.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk /forum/post/15524139

You don't like it, you don't like it. I tried to make myself like Assassin's Creed when it first came out because of all the good reviews, but IMO it sucked bigtime. So trying to figure out how to llike something is not going to work.

With that said...

Goozex.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I liked it, it's been a LONG time since there were any good run and jump sidescrolling platformers on consoles. The DS has a few great ones but it was good to have one on the big screen. I rented it first to see if the single player had any meat as I am not to interested in level creation.

Fallout 3 OTOH, I am not impressed with, maybe it's my mood or something. I suspect I'll pick it up one day. I liked Mass Effect and Fable 2 better. I am a mixed bag on Assassin's Creed also, parts I really love and some not so much.

It's good there are so many choices for all of us.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts