AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested to peek at some Samsung dlp service manuals. Anyone have any idea who has them, how to get them (and how long it might take)?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I called J&J (800) 627-468, who is listed as the authorized parts and service for Samsung, on the Samsung service web site.

I ordered the service manual for the HLN4365. It was $ 25 and quoted about 10 days. I have not received it yet, but it's only been 4 days so far.

paul

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
I have the service manual, and it has nothing useful related to tweaking the service menu -- it doesn't address the service menu at all.

It consists mostly of electronics parts lists for the various DLP models, and the remainder is some schematic diagrams and troubleshooting flow charts for repair techs.

Buying it is a waste of money unless you're going to do repairs. The only thing in it useful to us is intructions for replacing the lamp.

Dean

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dwette-

i'm actually interested in seeing the exact hardware differences between the 3 models (61,50,43).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dwette
I have the service manual, and it has nothing useful related to tweaking the service menu -- it doesn't address the service menu at all.

It consists mostly of electronics parts lists for the various DLP models, and the remainder is some schematic diagrams and troubleshooting flow charts for repair techs.

Buying it is a waste of money unless you're going to do repairs. The only thing in it useful to us is intructions for replacing the lamp.

Dean
I guess I would disagree a bit. If you can follow what is going on with the schamatics, a lot can be gleened about how things are working in the design.

paul

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tecman
I guess I would disagree a bit. If you can follow what is going on with the schamatics, a lot can be gleened about how things are working in the design.
I don't care how it's designed or how things work. It still doesn't address what's in the service menu specifically, and that is what most people in this forum are interested in. That is, what does each service menu item mean and how does changing a value affect the picture.

Dean

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
I don't care how it's designed or how things work. It still doesn't address what's in the service menu specifically, and that is what most people in this forum are interested in. That is, what does each service menu item mean and how does changing a value affect the picture.

Dean
There's another thread here which addresses all that stuff... I think it's "HLN Tweaks or something", I know I've seen an list and description of each parameter.

In any rate, I have to agree with tecman. The parameters probably have dependencies between them, have cascade effects, etc etc, so you could never optimize the settings unless you understood all that, or had a flowchart of how to proceed through calibration (which.. might be helpful anyway).

Let's stick to the hardware issues because that's what I'm trying to troll for, and people are probably interested in that as well.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
You have an HLN service manual? I want to see if it is an improvement over my HLM one. I bought the service manual when I had the HLM internals and would sell it and buy an HLN one if I knew it was any better.

Quote:

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by turls
You have an HLN service manual? I want to see if it is an improvement over my HLM one. I bought the service manual when I had the HLM internals and would sell it and buy an HLN one if I knew it was any better.
No, my manual is for the HLM series.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by turls
Well, the HLM one is a joke. Maybe the HLN one will be worth buying.
Yeah, I'm sort've glad I read both your and Dean's reports on it a few days ago. I contacted the numbnuts over at samsung parts about the HLN manual and never heard back. My guess is it would've been wasted money on my part.

Thanks for nudging me away from buying it, seriously.

Later,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
(resurrecting this one rather than new thread)

To anyone who has an HLN service manual, please chime in. I'm looking to verify that the 507 and 617 have identical internal parts (save the lamp assembly). Do these manuals contain identifying part/model numbers for IC boards, power supplies, lense assemblies, and so forth? Or could that be interpreted from the diagrams?

I'm pondering getting the manuals for both models.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.