AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you get Windows XP to not go the User Logon Screen on Bootups??? I cant find were to remove this feature. I would like it to boot straight to windows without asking for a user.:confused:

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Get PowerToys from Microsoft.

once installed, open it from start/program files. There's a "Logon" section on the left side. In that section you can set the username and password for that user, and on the next reboot the HTPC goes right into XP.

Great feature. :)

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Another option is to have only 1 user and no password set (control panel - user accounts)

_____

Axel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Spearce, I will try that when i get home from work. I have only one user on the machine with no password, it just seems stupid that windows goes to the user select with only one user.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Or hack the registry--

Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Microsoft\\WIndows NT\\CurrentVersion\\Winlogon

Add the values:

DefaultUserName Set to your username

DefaultDomainName Set to your domain name (or PC name if you're not in a domain)

DefaultPassword Password for this account

AutoAdminLogon=1

FoundSoul

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jackP
Thanks Spearce, I will try that when i get home from work. I have only one user on the machine with no password, it just seems stupid that windows goes to the user select with only one user.

Only 1 user and no password? I wonder why you get a prompt and do not...

Under "Change the way users log on of off", do you have "Use the Welcome Screen" checked? If not, try this...

_____

Axel

·
Registered
108 Posts
Foundsoul-

Any idea how that affects the remote desktop feature? Will it allow you to still "log off" or goto the welcome screen after screen saver?

-matt

·
Registered
871 Posts
If you go to Start -> Run and run "control userpasswords2" it will display the old (Win2K) user/passwords control panel and allow you to set an auto-logon user.

Sorry Matt, this does not avoid the "problem" with remote desktop.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
As I've mentioned before you can also try the TweakUI utility for Windows XP with it you can have XP set to auto logon to the system with a preset username and password without any muss or fuss.

·
Registered
502 Posts
FYI, none of this helps when the computer comes out of hibernation. Though I auto-logon on power up or re-start, coming out of hibernation I still have to click on my user icon. Very annoying...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I use suspend instead of hibernate. It is a lot faster recovery and no logon problem. I use the "control userpasswords2" to set auto logon (the registry hack works too) and you need this for remote desktop sharing (you need a password over 6 chars (I believe, also share the same logged in session - no need to log out, just disconnect). I do all MyHD programming and DVHS stuff via remote desktop. Pretty sweet to control the basement HT computer from my 2nd story office.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:
Don't hibernate. Just turn the PC off, XP boots fast.
He, he. And how do you have the PC auto-boot to record a TV broadcast? Hibernation is cool for wake-up-and-record functionality.

Quote:
I use suspend instead of hibernate.
Can you wake up to record (or execute a scheduled task) with suspend?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Quote:
Can you wake up to record (or execute a scheduled task) with suspend? [/b]

Of course you can! Suspend leaves everything in RAM and uses a minimal amount of power to keep it refreshed (a few watts). Hibernation writes everything in RAM to hard disk and basically shuts down. I prefer suspend, it seems to have less wake-up problems (on my system) and comes up a lot faster (everything is already loaded in memory). I would recommend a UPS if using suspend since everything is in RAM and you do need to keep power to the unit.

·
Registered
502 Posts
MichaelZ, I'll give this a try. I am having some MyHD wake-up-record issues with hibernation (or maybe not--see my thread on the subject), and hibernation recovery is lengthy (40 sec for me). I'll just have to see whether I can reliably wake up from suspend...

BTW, educate me on what "UPS" is--other than the folks that deliver my PC components. ;)

·
Registered
871 Posts
For those of you getting the logon screen when you resume from standby/hibernate...

There is a option in the Power control panel, Advanced tab, labeled "Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby". This option should be turned off if you don't want the logon screen on resume.

Also there is a minor advantage to using the userpasswords2 control panel rather than the registry hack. If you use userpasswords2, the password will be stored encrypted in the LSA protected store. If you use the registry hack, you must put the clear-text password (if any) in the registry. Of course, this probably doesn't matter much for an HTPC.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks, JTAnderson! I knew there had to be a way, but couldn't dig fast enough to find it. I'll give this a try.

·
Registered
291 Posts
This is valuable info. Now, I want to attach my HTPC to a UPS where, occasionally an lengthy power failure will require the computer to shutdown. How can I get the HTPC to automatically start up as soon as the AC power is restored?

Thanks.

DonP

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.