AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I interested in how we are all receiving our HDTV signals.

Also, did you change from one method to another, or do you plan to?

My info: I started out OTA only, and changed to Cable only as soon as it became available.

Thanks,

-Bill

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I set up the poll correctly, you can select more than one at a time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We only get one channel through E*, HBOHD so watch more HD on the networks.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I get HD on both cable and DirecTV. My cable company transmits ABC, CBS, and NBC at 8-VSB so I pick up the cable channels using my Zenith 520 unit. I only get HDNet and HBO-H (ala carte $10/month) form DirecTV. I haven't found enough movies on Show to justify the expense.

Tom

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
All 3.

·
Registered
739 Posts
1 and 2 plus JVC 30k. Probably 3 when Comcast Seattle moves onward.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
All 3.
Well Ken, we see your priorities are in order :D

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
OTA only. Which has been the case for all but a few months of my entire 36 year lifespan. This won't change until I can pay a reasonable price of a few $ a month for JUST(I.e. ONLY) the 8-10 or so channels I want which I can't get OTA(and I don't see that happening, unfortunetly) .....HDnet is one of those 8-10 on my "desired list" BTW ...

·
Registered
908 Posts
To me HDNet and HBO-HD are well worth the $10 per month I pay.

Tom

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I'm one of the folks who checked off OTA only -- but I might consider adding C-Band HD reception capability at some point in the future (currently I have an analog-only C-Band system). I have no intention of subscribing to either cable or small dish because I frankly don't want the sizeable monthly bills that these services seem to generate -- and really, the only HD programming that isn't available OTA that I miss right now is HDNet.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Babula
....JVC 30k.
Oops, forgot D-VHS. But no D-Theater.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I love D-Theater! What about WMA9 soon?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nitewatchman
OTA only. Which has been the case for all but a few months of my entire 36 year lifespan. This won't change until I can pay a reasonable price of a few $ a month for JUST(I.e. ONLY) the 8-10 or so channels I want which I can't get OTA(and I don't see that happening, unfortunetly) .....HDnet is one of those 8-10 on my "desired list" BTW ...
Here, here!

I know it's not cool to have a TV antenna on your roof (mine is in the attic thank you very much) but I just do not understand how people justify paying $30 to $50 or more per month for cable/satellite. Before HDTV, I used my VCR to record off the air or rented movies on tapes and CDs. Before HDTV, I spent too much time watching TV. Now that there is HDTV, I watch HDTV off-the-air and record/timeshift with my HiDTV tuner card. Now that there is HDTV I am still spending too much time watching TV. When HD DVDs become available I will get an HD DVD player and rent HD DVD movies. At that time I will probably still be watching to much TV. Like Jeff I will be tempted by HDnet -- actually the Dallas UPN station has been broadcasting some interesting HDnet HDTV programs which I am recording now. There is no way, however, for me to justify needing 100 or more channels to choose from.

DonP

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Don, why am I not surprised that two of the OTA-only folks here (you and I) are both in the Dallas area?

It seems that people in Dallas are much less inclined to shell out the money to subscribe to cable than are folks in most of the rest of the country, and it seems that attitude is likely to carry over into teh HDTV world.

·
Registered
22,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tomrhyne
To me HDNet and HBO-HD are well worth the $10 per month I pay.

Tom

·
Registered
908 Posts
Grandfathered.

Tom

·
Registered
908 Posts
DonP, sometime back you could get HBO-H ala carte for this amount. It is no longer available, but I am grandfathered. I also get all the SD HBO channels included also!

Tom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.