AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see people on here asking for certain episode of different shows? How are you doing this? Is there a way to connect the Replay to your computer and d.load the files?

I have a Panasonic PV-HS2000. Please let me know if this is possible with this unit.

Thanks,

Rich May

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You would have to have somebody tape the show on a VHS tape and send it to you. The send shows is a feature of the new 4000 model replaytv. -mk

·
Registered
131 Posts
is'nt there software to allow you to pull a vid off a pre 4k replaytv drive? i think you have to put the replay drive in your pc to do it, but i think it's possible.

???

·
Registered
148 Posts
yeah you can use extract_rtv for pre-4K units I believe. I used this to extract a couple mpegs off the hd. But i had to put the Replay drive in my computer to do this. The extraction was very quick, for a 30min it took about 45 secs. I tried using Tmep to make the mpeg vcd compatible but it didn't work. Hopefully during the summer i will have more time to fool around with the replay mpegs and hopefully make vcds.

·
Registered
131 Posts
try installing a good software dvd player. usually, the codec it loads allows other apps on the system to view (and sometimes edit!) the mpeg2 vids.

...windvd3 works great for me ...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Not that I'm implying this guy is one, but......

With the lawsuit, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see "new members" asking about getting shows out of the Replay.

Tread lightly, those of you that have extracted.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
It is good to be reminded of fair use. Fortunately it is still perfectly legal to record and give to people publicly broadcasted content. Just like it is with videotape. I am sure nobody meant to imply anything illegal but good point.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I don't want to get into this, but that's not true. It's not 'perfectly legal' to make perfect digital copies of 'publically broadcasted content' and 'give it to people'...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Really. The airwaves are not free? Don't explain I don't want to get into this either. I don't doubt that anytime there is a digital copy of most anything these days someone is going to have something to say about it.

Well anyway if it is from my cable company it would be a perfect digital copy of a poor signal.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you didn't want to get into it, you should not make comments saying that something that is totally legal is not.

Number 1, sending a friend a copy of a show that was publicly broadcast, or even one show, that was broadcast on a channel they don't receive, ie HBO etc, is not Illegal it's covered by Fair Use, this is why VCR's have been around.

Number 2 when the studios tried to stop VCR's they had no clue that they could sell video tapes of the shows they had been basically throwing away all those years and people would buy them, you know, the multi billion dollar Video tape rental and sales industry. How many shows have been lost because of poor handling by the studios?

Number 3, other than sending it directly to someones Replay, which can only be done over like 3 days, if at all. You have to put it either onto a CD, meaning VCD, or DVD. And most people (not me) end up re-encoding the video depending on the software they use, which means it ends up not being a perfect digital copy.

By the time, this becomes common place, HDTV will be in full swing, which means you'll have a whole new DVD format (HDVD) and new PVR type devices to record HDTV on, etc.

If the damn studios worried about upgrading their systems instead of trying to slow down the rest of us HDTV would have been commonplace already and we wouldn't be able to copy shows over the internet anyway. But they drag their feet and blame us because we actually use new technology.

I'll go turn myself in now, because obviously I'm a big bad Video pirate because I lend a copy of a show to a friend and it doesn't look like crap, like it does on VHS.

If the studios get their way you won't have a Replay, you won't have a VHS, and you will have to pay for everything you watch, multiple times. Anybody remember DIVX. Next the'll sue the creator of the magic marker because of Sony's stupid CD copy protection.

We are the consumers people, we have the power, not them.But if you sit on your ass and make comments about how that is illegal when it's fair use, you'll lose that right and it won't stop there.

*Steps off of soap Box*

Later

TimT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.