AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know how you guys are handling different aspect ratios on your LT-150s.

I have a 16 X 9 homemade screen (details available on my web page here for those who are interested: http://members.home.net/danhanson/Th...nproject.htm).

Anyway, when I have everything set up for full-screen 16 x 9, 4:3 material spills over the top and bottom of the screen. I'm using an HTPC, so I can't switch modes from Cinema to native. It's always in native mode.

I know I could change the screen resolution on the HTPC to 640 x 480, but that's way too much of a pain. If it was just for the occasional 4x3 material, it might be acceptable. But even 16 x 9 DVD's have 4:3 menus, so I have problems with almost every DVD.

If you have a DVD player, do you just switch from native mode to cinema? Does that solve the problem?

If you have an HTPC, how are you doing it? Perhaps there's a different DVD player that will automatically scale 4:3 material for you? I'm using the default Matrox player that came with the G450 dual-head card I'm using.

I've seen a powerstrip mod that allows you to run a 16 x 9 desktop, so maybe that's the answer. But then you're losing a fair bit of resolution if you want to play PC games. And don't they distort? If I play flight sim with that mod, will everything look stretched?

The projector will eventually be ceiling mounted, so moving it around isn't an option unless I build a sloped, movable track on the ceiling which seems like a real kludge.

So I'm curious how all of you are handling different aspect ratios on the LT-150. I hope I'm not going to be forced to tear up my screen and re-build it as a 4:3 screen. One problem with that is that the fabric I use isn't available in enough width to handle the larger height of the 4:3 screen.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Well - I went with a 4:3 screen so this isn't really an issue for me.

When I watch a movie I adjust the screen vertically to remove as much of the lower letterboxing and halo as much as possible.

My Panny RP91 does allow to shrink or zoom 4:3 images.

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, but if you do that you're losing a bunch of resolution on 4:3 material, correct? The maximum vertical resolution you can ever get out of the projector this way is 575 pixels or so.

This isn't a big deal with most 4:3 material, but it puts a pretty good crimp on video games.

What about other sources? If I want to plug a Sony Playstation in, am I screwed with a 16:9 screen? What do you do with a DVD player?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.