AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to use GOM fabric for the walls, but I am unsure of what to do with the soffits.

Do I put fabric on the soffit or just paint?

Either way, how do I do this so the staples for the fabric aren't seen?

Thanks,

George

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
I've seen it done many different ways. I have GoM FR701 on my ceiling, walls, columns and soffits (which runs the perimeter of the room). I built a light tray into my soffit, so if you were looking at it from the side, you'd see the soffit (about 12" wide and 16" tall) with a 6" wide L-shaped extension that hides the light tray circling the room...the outside lip of the tray is about 8" tall. The soffit and the soffit light tray are made of MDF; the soffit is stuffed with insulation.

I applied 1" Theater-Shield+ to the bottom of the soffit and light tray and stapled fabric at the junction of the wall and soffit and pulled it around and over the lip of the light tray and stappled behind the lip. I then added crown moulding at the junction of the wall and soffit to hide the "starting" staples--the "ending" staples are naturally hidden by the light tray lip (they end on the inside of the lip). I would think that if you didn't have a light tray of something similar to hide your ending staples, you'd just need to put in some kind of crown moulding, just like you did where the soffit started--it might be more cost effective to just do the liught tray though!

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I'm doing the same thing. I haven't reached that point yet, but here is my thought process:

My soffit will attach to the wall and to the ceiling. At each of these two joints I'll install furring strips. I'll also attach furring at the corner, as the bottom of the soffit will get Insul-Shield and the side will get batting, just like the walls. I'll attach the soffit to the wall and ceiling first. Then, I'll staple the GOM to the furring strip at the wall, stretch it around the furring on the corner, and staple it to the furring at the ceiling. I'll use crown molding to cover the staples at the wall/soffit and at the soffit/ceiling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.