AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a progressive scan ccd chip in the camcorder that can deliver 30 frames a second but there is no component out only svideo. It has a firewire out. Do i have to run it through my computer first? can anybody make sense of this?

·
Registered
728 Posts
The quick and dirty way- Firewire out to computer, computer out to projector. I've done it many times with a Sony TRV120 and a Mac Cube.

You need the right software of course; BTV 5 works with the Mac. I'm not sure what works with PCs for progressive out.

The difficult and professional way- Companies like Canopus make standalone and rackmount converters. $4k on up.

You might check out the Home Theater Computers forum for more details- but don't mention Macs. The topic will go off-topic rapidly.

apg

·
Registered
297 Posts
apg

oooh oooh some Mac info. I'd been afraid to mention Mac here. Tell me more about BTV 5. Who makes it and what does it do. I havn't set up my HT yet but it's in the works. I assumed I would start out with a Progressive scan DVD player rather than the HTPC route but I'm not afraid to open the Mac and add cards or tweak around. If its an option for getting better DVD (or HD) out to the projector I'd probably like to try it. I also do mini-DV / firewire video and editing and it looks like I'll have to go something along this route to project my own stuff. Any more info or related links appreciated.

-Noam

·
Registered
728 Posts
"I'd been afraid to mention Mac here."

Ssshhhh! Nobody here but us wabbits!

"Tell me more about BTV 5"

http://www.bensoftware.com

BTV is a Mac basic viewing and DV editing package. AppleScriptable, people have already used it for stuff like Tivo style recording. It's shareware, and frequently updated.

" If its an option for getting better DVD (or HD) out to the projector I'd probably like to try it."

The Apple DVD player is pretty good as is, but using BTV to take an NTSC svideo signal from vcr to the TRV120 to the Cube to the projector definitely yields a better image that svideo to the LT150 alone. On the other hand, it _is_ a lot of doodads chained together...

No HDTV capability yet. We still need an HDTV tuner card or Firewire adapter...

For serious DV editing, Final Cut Pro is the way to go. Lots of info at:
http://videouniversity.com/wwwboard/macvideo/index.html

apg

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thanks apg. I'll check out the BTV. I already use Final Cut Pro.

Happy Turkey Day all. -Noam

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
If you have a computer and you can't afford to invest in further DV equipment, an interim stopgap solution is to use DScaler and configure it to do 2:2 pulldown on the video. This would yield your original 30fps progressive video, albiet you do have to go through a D/A to A/D conversion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.