AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many people share this problem, but has anyone had success in keeping their cat(s) from using speakers as scratching posts?



I have a pair of Polk towers that our cats love to scratch. The area is not a grill cloth but a fabric over wood. I've glued back the pieces so many times it looks like a mosaic now!


I'd love to hear anything that has worked for them, and in advance, unfortunately getting rid of the cats is not an option........
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwiz41  /t/1524244/how-do-you-keep-cats-from-scratching-speakers#post_24527548


I don't know how many people share this problem, but has anyone had success in keeping their cat(s) from using speakers as scratching posts?

Ask your vet. There's this operation, not cheap but it doesn't seem to hurt the kitty in any lasting way...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1524244/how-do-you-keep-cats-from-scratching-speakers#post_24527565


Buy them a real scratching post. I would remove the cloth if possible

We've bought them a scratching post, but they prefer the speakers, furniture, etc.


As for the speakers, the cloth is not removable, well readily anyway. The fabric is "glued" to the wood material underneath, and it is bare wood unverneath.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
Double sided tape is supposed to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1524244/how-do-you-keep-cats-from-scratching-speakers#post_24527582


Ask your vet. There's this operation, not cheap but it doesn't seem to hurt the kitty in any lasting way...

I know the procedure, but it's hard to find a vet that will perform it these days. They claim that the cat is defenseless if it happens to get outside....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder  /t/1524244/how-do-you-keep-cats-from-scratching-speakers#post_24527586


Double sided tape is supposed to work.

I'll give this a try. I did put up aluminum foil over the intial areas they scratched, but the visual aspect drove me crazy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,728 Posts
Declawing is considered inhumane - I won't debate the topic here, but the ideal solution would be to find an alternate, non-surgical solution



I had the same problem - I would begin by placing cardboard scratching pads in the immediate area around the speakers to give the cats an alternative option. These are very inexpensive, and can work quite well. In addition, you can reward the positive behaviour by offering your cats treats whenever they use the cardboard scratcher instead of the speaker. Hopefully, the scratchers will only be in place temporarily to 'ween' the cats from scratching the speaker grill. You can also use a water spray bottle (or canned air) to discourage them from scratching wherever you don't want them to.


Spraying the speaker grills with Feliway can also discourage scratching.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
I suggest taking the grills off (if possible), sprinkling the inside of the grill with a little Cayenne Pepper and re install the grill. I heard this irritates any animal's nose and they will stay away from the speakers.


Just a suggestion,

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bek1973  /t/1524244/how-do-you-keep-cats-from-scratching-speakers#post_24528153


I suggest taking the grills off (if possible), sprinkling the inside of the grill with a little Cayenne Pepper and re install the grill. I heard this irritates any animal's nose and they will stay away from the speakers.


Just a suggestion,

Brian

Thanks! I'm going to give this a try, it makes sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
Couldn't do the declawing thing. Didn't seem humane and like someone else said if the cat gets out, he's screwed if it gets into combat. Luckily, my cat doesn't go after my speakers, unless when I crank em up. He will sit on one of the two subs and just sit. Then he will go after my bookshelves which are on stands and start to claw at them. Then he looks at me and it's like him saying, "Turn Them Damn Things Down! " I get up to reprimand him and he runs away. I don't understand why he just don't go into another room when I crank em up.


Any how, I never liked cats. In fact, I hated them. When my son brought that little kitty home a year ago, I said "Get That Damn Thing Out Of Here! " Guess what ? We are now the best of Buddy's. He is now my cat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper  /t/1524244/how-do-you-keep-cats-from-scratching-speakers/0_100#post_24528593


Couldn't do the declawing thing. Didn't seem humane and like someone else said if the cat gets out, he's screwed if it gets into combat. Luckily, my cat doesn't go after my speakers, unless when I crank em up. He will sit on one of the two subs and just sit. Then he will go after my bookshelves which are on stands and start to claw at them. Then he looks at me and it's like him saying, "Turn Them Damn Things Down! " I get up to reprimand him and he runs away. I don't understand why he just don't go into another room when I crank em up.


Any how, I never liked cats. In fact, I hated them. When my son brought that little kitty home a year ago, I said "Get That Damn Thing Out Of Here! " Guess what ? We are now the best of Buddy's. He is now my cat.
 

That is the way cats are.  He respected your disdain.  Cats generally dislike those who want their affection too much.  Your son is probably upset because it prefers you over him.

 

Also, the cat wants to be in the room and for you to turn down the volume.  Leaving would not get him what he wants.  So that leaves attacking the speakers.

 

 

His claws will not be enough against a dog of any size that is good at fighting.  If you let him out and he gets into a confrontation with such a dog, he will die, claws or not.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tdogroeder

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1524244/how-do-you-keep-cats-from-scratching-speakers#post_24528652


That is the way cats are.  He respected your disdain.  Cats generally dislike those who want their affection too much.  Your son is probably upset because it prefers you over him.


Also, the cat wants to be in the room and for you to turn down the volume.  Leaving would not get him what he wants.  So that leaves attacking the speakers.

Nice summation of cats' unique personalities.



By the way declawing is the removal of the end bone of the cat's toes--it would be a little like cutting off the end bone of our fingers. Not a defensible practice, in my view.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1524244/how-do-you-keep-cats-from-scratching-speakers#post_24527582


Ask your vet. There's this operation, not cheap but it doesn't seem to hurt the kitty in any lasting way...

If you're talking about de-clawing, yes it does it's like chopping your finger off at the first knuckle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenA01  /t/1524244/how-do-you-keep-cats-from-scratching-speakers/0_100#post_24529245

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1524244/how-do-you-keep-cats-from-scratching-speakers#post_24528652


That is the way cats are.  He respected your disdain.  Cats generally dislike those who want their affection too much.  Your son is probably upset because it prefers you over him.


Also, the cat wants to be in the room and for you to turn down the volume.  Leaving would not get him what he wants.  So that leaves attacking the speakers.

Nice summation of cats' unique personalities.



By the way declawing is the removal of the end bone of the cat's toes--it would be a little like cutting off the end bone of our fingers. Not a defensible practice, in my view.
 

I did not suggest that he get his cat declawed.  I merely observed the fact that claws are not enough to protect a cat from a dog that is good at fighting.  It will only make a difference with a very wimpy dog.  So the reason to not declaw is not about the cat defending itself in the neighborhood, as it will be a dead cat if it gets into a fight with a tough dog regardless of its claws or lack thereof.  The reason to not do it is better expressed in your post, though it isn't quite the same as your comparison (though it is, as you say, "a little like" it, which means your statement is correct as you have expressed it, but I suspect that some will fail to notice that important word "little" in your statement), as the cat's claws are retractable and humans don't have anything like that at the ends of their fingers or toes.

 



 

The last bone is the one that moves with the claw, and is not what is supporting the cat for walking.  (One can see this here , and compare with the drawing above.)  It isn't really the same as it would be for cutting off the last bone in your hand or foot, because your anatomy is significantly different.  However, I am sure declawing is not a pleasant thing for the cat, regardless of its similarity or lack thereof to cutting off the last bone on a human finger or toe.  Some of the possible unpleasantness is discussed here  (don't worry anyone, it is not too graphic).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,618 Posts
Actually, the most dangerous aspect of declawing a cat is possible infection. That's the main reason vets don't want to perform the operation. I have cats. Cardboard scratchers and training were pretty effective. When they were kittens they were little terrors of course so when I was away I would cover the pair of towers I had at the time with the original boxes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,092 Posts
Water Pistol

Blast them every time you catch them doing unwanted behavior.

If it doesn't work get a bigger water pistol. Any kind will work though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci  /t/1524244/how-do-you-keep-cats-from-scratching-speakers#post_24530786


Because of this thread, I'm writing a song. It's called Cat Scratch Speaker!

You know your song will be banned in Texas......and they'll pay you not to play there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145  /t/1524244/how-do-you-keep-cats-from-scratching-speakers#post_24530739


Water Pistol

Blast them every time you catch them doing unwanted behavior.

If it doesn't work get a bigger water pistol. Any kind will work though.

I've tried the water thing as well, I use an old cleaner water that puts out a good spray. But....I have to catch them to use it. So, this method doesn't seem to be working as well. FYI, these are the things I've tried that did NOT work:


Spraying water on them when caught scratching speakers

Nearby scratching post

"Yelling at them when caught"

Spraying speakers (cabinets) with orange scented/citrus furniture polish. (I read cats do not like citrus)


I did try taping up aluminum foil where they initially scratched, and I think this worked. (I read they hate the feel of foil on their paws/claws), but it seemed they just scratched other areas of the speakers. I also hated the way it looked!
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top