AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you know if PS3 games are 5.1 or 7.1 audio? I looked at all my PS3 games (Uncharted, Orange Box, MGS4, COD4, and RB6-2) and none of the game boxes tell information about channels. Whats up with that?! Game boxes should tell audio channels, especially since you have to deselect 7.1 in PS3 XBR for matrixed (rear channel surrounds) for 5.1 games.

Why hasn't SONY fixed this problem of PS3 not reading source channels correctly??????

·
Registered
894 Posts
Considering titles like Orange Box, MGS4, CoD4 all use Dolby Digital as their audio codec, which caps out at 5.1, I think you've got your answer on those. As for Rainbow Six Vegas 2, I'd imagine that's DD as well, and I believe Uncharted has DD/DTS and LPCM audio. I didn't have my HDMI 1.2 receiver when I played Uncharted, so I can't tell you from experience how many channels there are.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Only way to know for sure is to check in with the various forums (like this one) to see what people say the channel output is.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Receiver output/Hit select on the controller

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobington /forum/post/14163869

Short answer. You don't know.

This is freakin mind-blowing to me. I guess if all games were 5.1 or 7.1 it would not be a big deal, but since SONY cannot seem to muster the effort to fix the damn problem of blank channels being sent to AVRs they really really need to indicate channels/audio on boxes sort of like Blu-Ray disc has on its box.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I think some games have the audio info in the manuals. Not sure if all do. It would be better for it to be on the box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts