AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a NAS for my home to store my movies on and was told that I should try to ensure that it will be DLNA compliant for future possiblities. What does that mean and how do I make it compliant?

Thanks for your help.

Adam

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
DLNA (or UPnP) simply means that the NAS or storage device broadcasts your folders and data in such a way that other DLNA/UPnP devices can use and understand it. It is a way to use data without having to know anything about networking or folder permissions etc.

If you are building your own NAS then you need to find a UPnP/DLNA program that is compatible with your OS (Windows/LINUX/whatever). You would then load this on your Server. If you Google UPnP Software you will find many options for this. FUPPES, Swisscenter, TVersity are just a few.

Many of the NAS appliances come with DLNA/UPnP plugins but if you are building your own you will need to do all this yourself.

Laters,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm. The plot thickens. LOL Any idea where to do research other than the sites that sell the software? To get an unbiased view

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any suggestions on which to research? Wiki has a ton of suggestions. I am assuming I would install this software on my NAS and then when burning my content from another computer to the NAS I would then direct it to certain folders and then the software would help to organize it for devices streaming content from it.

I am very excited to get away from the old system of using disks and changers. It cant come soon enough. Although all of that burning is going to suck big time.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I've tried quite a few UPnP servers and my current favourite is TwonkyServer. I've also tested many built-in UPnP servers of NAS boxes and they are in general complete rubbish.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I were to install TwonkyServer I would then burn my dvds and such to a specific folder in the program and then a DLNA enabled device would sync with the info from Twonky?

Does it matter if I use Raid 6 or another form using this software?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.