AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own Monster House, Underworld Evolution, RE Apocalypse, and Talladega Nights (PS3), but none of them say anywhere what size the disc is. I know UE is a 25 GB one, but how do you find out? Fox's packaging tells you what is it, why doesn't Sony's?

·
Registered
755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain /forum/post/0

I own Monster House, Underworld Evolution, RE Apocalypse, and Talladega Nights (PS3), but none of them say anywhere what size the disc is. I know UE is a 25 GB one, but how do you find out? Fox's packaging tells you what is it, why doesn't Sony's?

The dual layer discs have two sets of stamper numbers in the inner radius of the data side of the disc. Also, if you hold a dual layer disc under a fluorescent light and adjust the angle, you will see and interesting interference pattern. This caused by the two data layers. None of the discs you list are dual layer.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paidgeek /forum/post/0

The dual layer discs have two sets of stamper numbers in the inner radius of the data side of the disc. Also, if you hold a dual layer disc under a fluorescent light and adjust the angle, you will see and interesting interference pattern. This caused by the two data layers. None of the discs you list are dual layer.

I'm pretty certain Resident Evil is Dual Layer. Some Sony insider you are...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Unlike DVD the two rings do not overlap, BD has an outer and inner ring from what I've seen so far around the inner ring of the disc. Hence it makes it easier to read the numbers on the rings. So far SL has started with BVSS and DL with BVDL.

For example, Click shows two layers:

BVDL 001850 L0

BVDL 001850 L1

·
Registered
5,591 Posts

Quote:

The dual layer discs have two sets of stamper numbers in the inner radius of the data side of the disc.

OT post. PG, did you go to CES. If true, would you care to give us your summary view in a new thread in this forum? If you do it is hoped that supporting members will help keep it a clean thread.

And thanks for posting at AVS

·
Registered
755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland /forum/post/0

OT post. PG, did you go to CES. If true, would you care to give us your summary view in a new thread in this forum? If you do it is hoped that supporting members will help keep it a clean thread.

And thanks for posting at AVS

I was at CES, but I had precious little time on the show floor. I was in meetings the better part of 4 days.

I am hesitant to start pontificating about CES. Having watched the recent threads, it is not too surprising to see HD-DVD fans calling it a win and Blu-ray doing the same.

We are presently concerning ourselves with the large scale roll out of BD in Europe. I honestly don't know how HD-DVD will manage this since audio dubs will be so demanding of disc capacity and bandwidth if supplied as lossless. We'll see...

·
Registered
7,935 Posts

Quote:

We are presently concerning ourselves with the large scale roll out of BD in Europe. I honestly don't know how HD-DVD will manage this since audio dubs will be so demanding of disc capacity and bandwidth if supplied as lossless. We'll see...

That is one of the concerns I voiced and was promptly dismissed by the HD DVD coven... But anyway...

paidgeek, I know it is the studios who determine which language gets the PCM track, but most AV enthusiasts prefer that the lossless track be assigned to the original language, not the dub track. The paradigm is quite different from that of DVD in that regard.

In short: "if there is only room for one lossless track, give it to the original language!"

(please)

·
Registered
755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert /forum/post/0

That is one of the concerns I voiced and was promptly dismissed by the HD DVD coven... But anyway...

paidgeek, I know it is the studios who determine which language gets the PCM track, but most AV enthusiasts prefer that the lossless track be assigned to the original language, not the dub track. The paradigm is quite different from that of DVD in that regard.

In short: "if there is only room for one lossless track, give it to the original language!"

(please)

Our objective is to provide lossless for all of the dubbed languages (commentary tracks excepted). It is impractical to have multiple LPCM streams, but we can manage to include all lossless if done carefully.

·
Registered
325 Posts
well Sony has set a good tone by having the Chinese track be the one put in LPCM on both Kung Fu Hustle and House of Flying Daggers.

Bought them both today and was pretty suprised to see that.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha24 /forum/post/0

well Sony has set a good tone by having the Chinese track be the one put in LPCM on both Kung Fu Hustle and House of Flying Daggers.

Bought them both today and was pretty suprised to see that.

I agree. I cringe when people wish they could hear Kung Fu Hustle's PCM track dubbed in English. You know, the same people who don't see a movie at the theater just because they have to read off the screen.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I believe the only Sony discs that are BD50 are Click and Talladega nights (retail version)

While europe will be problematic for HD DVD (aside from Britain) then surely they'll just release one disc per territory or perhaps just use DVD quality audio for the alternate tracks?

·
Registered
351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak /forum/post/0

So far SL has started with BVSS and DL with BVDL.

For example, Click shows two layers:

BVDL 001850 L0

BVDL 001850 L1

BINGO!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj /forum/post/0

Kung-fu hustle had 3 audio tracks but only the cantonese one was PCM.

My frustration was that they didn't release a non-PCM Cantonese track. I don't have an HDMI receiver, so my PS3 will only output the original language in 2.0 sound. So I have to choose between 2.0 sound (which I haven't had to do for almost a decade) or an awful English dub. I literally watched part of it in French just to get both 5.1 surround and a foreign language. That's what the lack of a DD 5.1 counterpart to the original language PCM reduced me to...

I can understand that disc space is an issue, but they should always provide the original language in a 5.1 surround that everybody can hear.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes /forum/post/0

Read post #10 of this thread. No one is saying anything about multiple PCM tracks.

Okay, I should rephrase, when are we going to see multiple lossless tracks? I only said PCM because there isn't any TrueHD/DTS-MA tracks on Sony discs that I can recall

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.