AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK /forum/post/15429467

What is a good stable light source?

How about the sun?? I don't mean pointing the sensor directly at it, but what about measuring the reflection off some white paper or maybe some shade of grey kodak paper to tame the brightness slightly?

I'm in the UK, so it's not often I'd get chance to try this method!

·
Home Theater Enthusiast
6,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S /forum/post/15429710

How about the sun?? I don't mean pointing the sensor directly at it, but what about measuring the reflection off some white paper or maybe some shade of grey kodak paper to tame the brightness slightly?

I'm in the UK, so it's not often I'd get chance to try this method!

But thats only going to be stable for another 1 billion years or so... how can I honestly live with myself if I used this methoid...

j/k

Now the question is what is a good cheap large "pure" white piece of paper.

Or does any White matte finish photo paper work?

·
Registered
3,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK /forum/post/15429765

Or does any White matte finish photo paper work?

I don't know what 'does' work as it was only a suggestion. It might be worth looking on photo paper websites to see if they quote any standards, though they might not be to D65. I only got my I1-LT for Christmas ans the there hasn't been much (if any) sunshine since, so I haven't been able to try it. The other thing is that it is cold outside so that would effect the sensor and might make the readings meaningless....so I'll have to wait for the summer to try it out unless there is a method I could do now that would allow me to check the sensor again in future to see if it has drifted?

Perhaps using a 'daylight' bulb and a piece of white paper in an otherwise darkened room. If I keep the bulb and paper and check again in the future the reading should be consistant (if the room temp is the same)? This would at least show if there is a drift in the sensor even if the exact reading isn't at D65.

Just a thought anyway.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I'm making an assumption that my new meter is reasonably accurate having managed to perform a good greyscale adjustment starting from the 'warm 2' colour setting on my Sony LCD TV. However, my projector is completely off in every mode I've checked, even the ones generally regarded as close to D65 out of the box, like 'Colour 1' (it's an AE3000). I'm getting a low blue reading across the whole 0 to 100 IRE range and I'd understood that if anything I'd be short of red?

I managed to adjust 'Cinema 1' mode to a delta E of

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.