AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking in the message archives here, I see a lot of talk about the Sampo Widescreen HDTV (34whd51), and a few people purchased them.

After using them for a few months now, what are the current feelings about this product? I am planning on ordering one as soon as I get back from some upcoming travel, and I wanted to see if anything had cahnged.. Or, if there are any newly released products that may have advantages over the Sampo.

Some questions I had were:

- Calibration: is this necessary? How are people getting this done?

- Do any retail stores carry this (in Northern California)? I would like to see it in person before spending that much to purchase it.

- Dyna Direct seems to be the best deal I have found.. free shipping, and no tax in California. Any better deals?

- How is it for computer display at 1024x768? Is text readable?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have only had mine for a week, but I love it so far.

As far as calibration goes, it wasn't too bad when I pulled it out of the box. As a disclaimer, I am no ISF tech. I did run it through AVIA and made some corrections, but it's not grossly out of whack. I did have a slight clockwise rotation and slight pincushion out of the box, but nothing really difficult to solve.

Picture is truly great. Our local CBS station broadcasts their nightly news in 1080i, and it really is a wonder on this set.

Nits? Changing inputs is a mild pain. I have the RCA DTC-100 hooked up through RGB and DVD through component. Flipping between them is time consuming. Having no line doubler for my DVD is a bit noticeable to me, but that's to be expected.

I love my set. I would recommend it to anyone in the market for a set this size.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A followup on my own post... I found a place in the San Francisco Bay area that has the Sampo on the showfloor.

It's a place called Laser City, in South San Francisco. It is just North of SFO Airport, off of 101. The street address is: 168 Beacon Street.

They had the Sampo on display, along with the Panasonic & Toshiba wide screen HD capables.

Unfortunately, they only had a non-progressive DVD driving it, so I couldn't get a real good idea of it's capabilities. I should have brought my laptop to do a 1024x768 VGA source.. I am curious to see how that displays in the 16:9 aspect ratio.

The marked price was MSRP: $3499. But, after mentioning some of the online prices, he quickly dropped to $3000. I didn't push beyond that.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Great video (but you already knew that http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ). No problems so far.

Some Gripes are:

1) Geometry could have been better outta the box. Still, it wasn't to the extent that it actually bothered me when watching video.

2) slow input switching (but not as slow as my dtc-100 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

Biggest surprise:

The sound blew me away. I wasn't expecting great sound outta this set, but when I turned on its sub and cranked it up, it was very very impressive. Easily one of the best sounding direct views that don't come integrated with a stand. It's great for me since I don't always want to turn on my htpc (hooked to kilpsch promedias) to listen to TV.

I find myself buying a lotta old movies that have been remastered and watching them over and over on my Sampo. It erases all previous memory of watching them beforehand.

MMAfia

[This message has been edited by MonkeyMafia (edited 03-08-2001).]

·
Registered
572 Posts
tji

I have had mine for about a month. Aside from a few minor UI nitts, the picture makes up for everything. I'm in Palo Alto. You're invited to come over and watch it with both 1080i HD and DVD (the latter fed through an iScan external line doubler). Other connected doubled sources include DV video, LD, S-VHS & good old crappy cable.

Out of the box it's not bad yet I'm very picky about video quality. I KNOW that it can be dailed in much better via the service mode/ remote. My Sampo replaced a Tosh TW65H80 RP (sort of, I also picked up a 9" CRT FP) so I'm still getting used to quality vs. quantity.

email me if you would like to get together. I have tons of DVD's, pls feel free to bring any that you're familiar with. Sunday 6pm Soprano's in HD is always a good time around here. Also bring something to toss on the BBQ as these meets aways seem to go on for hours.

Good local price that you found. I don't know anything about that dealer but I can tell you that you can find one for less.

Curtis

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curtis, thanks for the kind offer. After reading all the good comments, and seeing it in person, I ordered one online... I couldn't wait!

After I get mine, I may e-mail you for more info on your HDTV setup.. that's my next project after I get everything set up for DVD viewing.

I'll post info about my experience with the Sampo as soon as I get it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Then welcome to Club Sampo! Be aware that these things are heavy and the cabinet is quite deep. I wish I had setup my room properly before it arrived (so does my back).

Keep us posted.

Curtis

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had my Sampo for about a month now.. Sorry for the delayed update, I tried to post before but my long reply got lost because of an authentication problem (always copy the text before hitting submit!).

Overall, I am very happy with my Sampo. Even though it kicked off a spending binge. I had to buy a new TV stand to handle the weight and girth of this beast. Then, after getting the set installed, I HAD to get the HD decoder to try HDTV. I now have to upgrade my stereo system, and who know's what next.

Here's what I have tried so far:

Windows 2000 PC into the RGB (VGA) port. Looks great, if you can handle the 16:9 aspect ratio. Anyone know if the set can handle output in a 16:9 pixel ratio, such as 1024x576 or 1280x720? I guess I can try it, but my VGA port has been used primarily for HDTV.

Playstation 2 into the YCbCr port. Looks better than into the composite in. DVD looks pretty good (I don't have a progressive DVD player to compare it too, yet.) It seems to handle the screen geometry much better with the component video output.

DTC100 (actually, the Proscan variant.. I don't recall the part number, PHD105?) into the RGB port. This is where I have spent the bulk of my time. The HDTV is great. Normally, I watch very little broadcast television, but have been watching more because of the incredible detail. Don't tell anyone, but I even watched most of "Touched by an Angel" on Sunday. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

After some initial struggles with getting a strong signal, I picked up the double bowtie antenna at Radio Shack, and I get good signals on almost all Bay Area DTV broadcasts. I'm still looking into optimizing this.. maybe getting a Silver Sensor antenna, but it's pretty good now.

Now, I would really like some way to record HD content.. I was out of the country for the Final Four on CBS. Even though my Spartans got spanked, I would still love to see it in HD.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Hi everyone

I have a meeting this week with the Sampo rep and I am planing on

becoming a dealer and putting one in my showroom.

I have heard complaints about geomitry distortion. Can this be adjusted

so it is perfect. This is one area where I am very picky.

I have the prinseton and it is not perfect and it bugs me!

------------------

Thanks Very Much!

Alan Gouger

AV Science
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sampo was the OEM of the Unity Motion/Princeton 30 inch 16:9 HD monitor.

Many of the issues remain the same.

Sampo has an updated model in the works for later in the year.

Same tube but updated features:

Direct input access

Comb filter for NTSC

Defeatable SVM

Two wideband componet inputs (but no RGB output).

For the discerning videophile, the direct-view HD monitor of choice is the Panasonic DT-M3050W broadcast monitor which lists for $4300.

Similar tube to the Unity Motion/Princeton but far superior electronics.

Three HD inputs.

All service adjustments fully accessible from the remote--no secret menus.

Scans all the way down to 15.75, thus has a very good NTSC picture, unlike the Princeton.

None of the consumer direct views come anywhere close.

·
Registered
772 Posts
What is the Panasonic DT-M3050W's max bandwidth?

Does it have a higher bandwidth than the Sampo's 75MHz?

The princeton graphics AF3.0HD has a bandwidth of 40MHZ.

Also, the Sampo uses a different Toshiba tube than the AF3.0HD. The AF3.0HD uses what used to be Toshiba's top-of the-line tube. The Sampo uses what is currently Toshiba's top-of-the-line tube, which can't be had in this country unless you get the Sampo.

MMAfia

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
OK..now im confused!

I have the princeton and it has a curved tube.

The 16x9 Sampo im talking about says it has a flat screen!!

Are we talking about the same unit!

------------------

Thanks Very Much!

Alan Gouger

AV Science
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
772 Posts
The Sampo uses Tosh's current flagship OEMed tube.

from Merson's review of the sampo @ the perfect vision:

-------------------------------------------------------

What is outstanding is the picture tube used in this monitor. It is sourced by Toshiba, and is their top-of-the-line 34" flat-faced tube. (Princeton Graphics uses an earlier, slightly rounded version of this tube in its AF3.0HD set.) Toshiba presently only uses it in the sets it sells outside of the US.

MMAfia

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tmitchmd:
Sampo was the OEM of the Unity Motion/Princeton 30 inch 16:9 HD monitor.

Many of the issues remain the same.

Sampo has an updated model in the works for later in the year.

Direct input access

Comb filter for NTSC

Defeatable SVM

Two wideband componet inputs (but no RGB output).

For the discerning videophile, the direct-view HD monitor of choice is the Panasonic DT-M3050W broadcast monitor which lists for $4300.

Similar tube to the Unity Motion/Princeton but far superior electronics.

Three HD inputs.

All service adjustments fully accessible from the remote--no secret menus.

Scans all the way down to 15.75, thus has a very good NTSC picture, unlike the Princeton.

None of the consumer direct views come anywhere close.

The current unit already supports direct input access. Ir codes are out there.

My unit has one functioning wideband input, the rgb.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Thanks Rob, I was getting confused too, but still would like the answer.

Also is there a model # designation for the new set?

Tim

·
Registered
801 Posts
Just walked out of the Costco in Santa Rosa not 30 minutes ago. Amazing, They were displaying the Sampo which was sitting upon another Sampo in the shipping carton. They were actually displaying true HDTV from a Dish Network box (Costco more on the ball than Fry's Electronics???) Picture was darned good, and would have been GREAT with a good setup.

Anyway, price was $2499. Glad I was driving my Mustang instead of the SUV, otherwise I'd have a big Amex bill next month.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, this has got to be a first... an actual HDTV display in a retail store. The only thing better than that would be to show true HD off-the-air reception, so people could see what they can get for free.

This is a really good sign.. A good TV, at a good price, in big chain store.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
tmitchmd-

re:"Sampo has an updated model in the works for later in the year.

Direct input access

Comb filter for NTSC

Defeatable SVM

Two wideband componet inputs (but no RGB output)."

Are you referring to an updated 30" Princeton/Unity Motion or an updated 34" Sampo?

Also, to repeat above, if the "update" you are referring to is the 34" Sampo, will it retain the RGB input?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.