AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a panny stb with no signal meter. i am tuning my antennae and am wondering how one can measure signal strength. does it take a scope or can it be done with some simpler meter?

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Why does he shake hands with that guy right after he sexed the alligator

·
Registered
241 Posts
You might try to borrow a different HD STB with a signal meter from a friend or Electronics Store. Otherwise, you could have a professional Digital OTA antenna installer come out with a meter. Good Luck!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have tried a channelmaster signal strength meter ( used to align my Sat.)at the back end between the cable and STB and am able to get a reading. I think it is functioning because the signal varies as I rotate the antenna.

I don't know if you had noticed but there is a (sort-of) method to get a rough idea of signal from the panny. Look from the top of the stb and locate the front right corner of the unit. When you look down through the vents you will notice two lights, one green and one red. No signal, just green light. When it starts to lock the red starts to blink. The faster it blinks the closer you are to lock on. When it locks, the red light is constant and both green and red stay on.

I haven't checked this in awhile but I think that is the sequence. I will check when I get home.

Good luck,

George

·
Registered
136 Posts
indygreg,

Checked last night and the sequence I gave was off,

When there is no signal, both lights are on. The red blinks rapidly when a signal is detected and starts to slow and then fade when the signal is improving (rotating antenna).

It (red) fades then dissappers when locked.

Good luck and hang in there with this unit. It has the best PQ of all the stb's. Furthermore, with the new software and the new fan/lock-on chip set upgrades, it will beat the pants off any out there.

George

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks george. my challenge is that i have an antenae in the attic 3 floors away from the stb. i was hoping there was some type of meter i could put on the antenae and watch while i move it around. i mounted it so that i can move it around quite a bit in order to find a clear shot through some trees. there are a lot of variables to play with so some type of meter would be really helpful.

the channelmaster unit is an interesting idea. i have a digisatII unit http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=930%2D0600 that i might try. i never dreamed that a sat aligner would work for uhf. i guess i will have to power it externally since it picks up power from the stb by default.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Why does he shake hands with that guy right after he sexed the alligator

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.