AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some trick to this? Every time I try to unwrap a new CD, I feel like Homer Simpson. Dohdohdohdoh. DOH!

Don't get me wrong - I've gotten pretty good at it by now. It rarely takes me more than 15 minutes to get the plastic wrapping off, and open a new CD. I'm wondering, though, if there is an easier technique to opening them. Or, is there some special tool you need? I've managed to make do with a sharp knife, a hammer and chisel, and an acetylene torch, but I'm wondering if there is a tool dedicated to the task.

- Dave

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
ROFL

Dave T

The way I do it is basically to get the cd. Find a corner and rub a corner of the cd package on that corner. It will tear at that corner and prolly take you 15 seconds to open it afterward. BTW if you have a signifiacnt other... don't let her see ya doing that on her dining room table cuz that be the end of you ;) hehe. Don't ask about the security stickers though. Those still bug me. :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
On the top of the CD cover there is a slot between the cover and the edge piece. I run my thumb nail in there and the plastic cuts sometimes. Other times I use the pocket knive I carry with me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Use a key to scratch the outer plastic enough

to get it to tear.

Then the tricky part;

1. Unhinge the cd case at the bottom hinge

2. Flip the cover up and over, so the lid is

now flipped to the back of the cd.

3. Slowly peel the cover and the case apart,

this will remove the cover from the case

and will allow the rest of the security

sticker to be removed without disintegrating.

4. Re-attach cover hinges.

Was that clear??

Jon.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Krustyone

DAMN that is alot of work. Ever heard of minimum effort maximum results :) hehe

·
Registered
169 Posts
Modern packaging in general is a plague on society! If it were up to me there would be a law against it. There would also be a Constitutional Amendment barring coupons and all those store cards you have to carry around so you can get the preferred price (and so they can track what you buy). Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I use to use a pocket knive to slice off the shrink wrap but now I download and burn all my music and its easy to to get shrink wrap off of a CD spindle case. :)

Steve

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have to agree with dsinder.

I wonder if anyone has ever calculated how much time is wasted each year by people trying to open products they now own? I'd bet that there are enough man-hours wasted each year to put men on Mars. Talk about a waste of societies resources.

Mike

·
Registered
904 Posts
Krustyone's advice is definitely the best way I've found to get the CD open without leaving sticky goo or spending a lot of time. The cover really does pop right off, allowing you to flip it over an peel the security tape off. This is not tough, just a bit complicated to describe in words.

jake

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies, guys!

I'll have to try Krusty's suggestion the next time I get a CD. I'm tired of melted CD's from my acetylene torch.

I agree totally about the packaging rants. A total waste of the world's time, space, and resources.

- Dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
Okay, now we know how to get the shrink wrap off. The next question is, if you're anal, how do you glue the security tape down, so it doesn't flap around? :cool:

·
Registered
109 Posts
1. Try running finger nail along edge to break seal.

2. Since this doesn't work, pull out pocket knife and slice along edges, trying to avoid major gouge across CD.

3. Rip little bits of plastic wrap off.

4. Flap hands vigorously to try to dislodge little bits of plastic wrap stuck to fingers with static electricity.

5. Tear off security seal "tear here" tab.

6. Break nail trying to peel corner of security seal.

7. Try other security seal, hoping for better luck.

8. Hand CD to 10 year old offspring.

9. Say "Thank you very much" and hand kid a quarter.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL

Yes!! That's basically my technique. What the heck is up with that security seal and the "Tear Here" label, anyway? It's not as if it's anything you can use to pull the seal off.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have not bought a CD in a while but here is a thought.

Why don't the MFG of the CD's and DVD's install a thin band of high tensil strength plastic (like on cigaretts and gum). Just pull and peel in under 5 sec's.

O wait that is to easy they want you to destroy it and force you to buy another CD.....O/K

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The idea is to make it hard to open so that you can't pop out the CD and steal it from the store. The case has one of those alarm-setter-offer-thingies in it.

This way, your grunting, stamping, and swearing will be sure to alert security personnel to a miscreant in their midst.

- Dave

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use my thumb nail to cut the outer film and the adhesive tape at the ends.

Time to cut outer film: 3 seconds

time to cut adhesive tape: 6 seconds

this is only if I am dedicated to getting into the packaging as was the case with TPM. I have yet to beat this time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.