AVS Forum banner

How do you sort your music?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a stupid thread to waste time. :geek:

Me: My top 3 rows are for the most part my most favorite artists with a touch of their solo projects or spin off bands.
Then I have my own weird way (Hard Rock/Metal section, Prog section, 60's section, Guitar Heros & Blues section, the bands that don't fit the other bands sections section...etc..).
Those being alphabetical and chronological per band.
It works for me but as the shelves fill and bleed into other shelves fill I am starting to think going alphabetic.
Some not alphabetic...for example: Gamma I file with Ronnie Montrose or Page or Plant solo stuff is filed with LZ...etc

Anyhoo: just wasting time...thanks for reading!

Cheers

LP Shelf.jpg

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
FLAC on a NAS. I like using Plex on my Nvidia Shield.

When I didn't box up all of my physical CDs, I just went with alphabetical (last name, first name).

·
Registered
504 Posts
I keep my disc collection organized by artist name and order of album release. As I have over a thousand or so titles, I also keep different versions of the same title together, also in order of release (e.g. original CD first, followed by a reissue and then a high-res version like DVD-A, SACD or Blu-ray Audio).

·
Premium Member
7,643 Posts
I organize my collection by genre. The bands/artists/composers are arranged alphabetically within each genre.

Reactions: J Devil 666

·
Registered
650 Posts
@J Devil 666 My own not so special way. Alphabetical except for bands I have a bunch of like Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Beatles, Stones, Van, Fleetwood Mac and several others. I do those chronologically. Boots all together.

Also my OCD would do Morrison's Hotel in the middle. 😎

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
J Devil, I have mine arranged as they are listed in my Discogs database, except I separate out my Jazz from all other genres. I also keep track of the last time I played the LP/CD in the database and confirmed the exact version when possible. I do have several LPs that I can’t find the exact version in Discogs.

Reactions: J Devil 666

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
Old skool........alphabetically (filed in cabinets and in a spread sheet) as Morrison, Van, Steely Dan and no 'the's, so Doors, Beatles etc.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Alphabetically by genre on shelves and vintage Laserline towers. Bought way too many CDs over the years and at some point couldn't keep up with shelf space so had to start storing stuff in plastic bins, I only keep important stuff on the shelves now (like THE CRAMPS!), and my disc buying has slowed to a crawl because of it. But everything is ripped to FLAC, and gets piped through the same DAC setup as my CD player does, so I don't even really need to spin discs anymore, but of course I still do.

It's also a good thing that all the future bass/EDM artists I listen to don't even release CDs, otherwise I would have another several hundred easily.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also my OCD would do Morrison's Hotel in the middle. 😎
Lol thanks Peja. :ROFLMAO:
The MH was originally placed there to welcome all into the kitchen. With other framed LP's to the left. I rearranged living room moved vinyl shelf and swapped in the tour posters.

Oh no...now my OCD is threatened o_Oo_O:geek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
451 Posts
People have all kinds of reasons for loving or hating file-based playback (home-network streaming). I wouldn't have switched to streaming if I didn't think the sound was up to par. But now that I use it every day, something I also appreciate is the ease of finding things. Computer search algorithms are pretty darn good!

·
Registered
22,258 Posts
How do you organize your tunes? LP and/or CD

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I organize my collection by genre. The bands/artists/composers are arranged alphabetically within each genre.
Same here, the same method that has long been utilized by record stores.

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
My thousands of CDs are stored in plastic totes behind my theater screen. I ripped them all to FLAC and use JRiver as a media server within the house. I use my own genre tags to organize based on my own method of madness . I am constantly updating or changing tag info and wonder if I will ever get done. From the outside looking in, it would probably be confusing as to why I have so many different tags on one song.

·
Registered
22,258 Posts
My thousands of CDs are stored in plastic totes behind my theater screen.
How are they (the physical media) stored? Just thrown in a box?

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
How are they (the physical media) stored? Just thrown in a box?
They are stored in their CD case in rows. There is no rhyme or reason as to what is what storage bin though. If I ever had to find a single CD, it would take awhile unless luck prevailed.

·
Registered
22,258 Posts
So tucked away without rhyme or reason.
That's fine.

For 1000's of CD's, consider a yard sale. ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts