AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leaning more and more toward a fixed frame screen instead of a motorized screen for my home theater in my basement finishing project. Cheaper. Less likely for mechanical failure. Easier to replace. Easier to install. No waves. No curling. And obviously some of these may not be an issue with tab tensioned screens, but tab tensioned screens are also more expensive.

One problem. I have young kids and they are going to spend a lot of time there. I am probably going to mount a TV on an adjacent wall and set up the wii for the kids so they will be there quite a bit.

I hung our 58 inch plasma in the family room thinking that my kids couldn't get to it. One day, there was something splattered all over it.

So, the question is: How do I protect a projector screen?

Wife does not want to use drapes/curtains....she says its too cheesy.

What else can I do?

Pictures are welcome. Wife likes to see things before buying in

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Here are some ideas.. best is saved for last but don't cheat!

Get a decorative roller shade and pull it down over the screen.

Buy a sheet of plexi glass and add hooks to hold it. Remove when you want to watch tv.. pain in the but but would work..

Build a nice wooden cabinet around the screen with fancy sliding/folding doors.(big bucks)

ban the kids from the basement. (painful)

Hang curtains, it is your house to!

Buy an inexpensive manual screen, live with the possible waves and don't worry about the screen. upgrade to a fixed screen when the kids are older.

Jump over the the DIY screen forum and lean how to make a painted screen on your existing wall, or a painted screen on light weight substrate cost is under $200 and you can repaint if it gets to messed up..

Make a frame and use WilsonArt laminate for your screen 100% washable, it is what they make counter tops out of. (this is a fixed screen that solves all your problems, as long as you have some DIY skills to make a velvet covered frame etc.. Lots if info on wilsonsart down in the DIY sub forum.

This is a link to umr's testing of screen materials and it includes the Wilsonart.
http://accucalhd.com/documents/accuc...een_report.pdf

Good luck with whatever you do..

·
Banned
960 Posts
All depends on how much you want to spend on protecting the screen. Curtains might be the easiest to do. I know the wife does not like but i'm sure she will like even less having to buy a new skin for that frame.

How big a screen are you going with?

Benito

·
Registered
140 Posts
I second the wilsonart. The wilsonart formica 4X8 sheet is $42 at home depot. It's "normal" use is to be placed over wood to make countertops, thus it is very stain resistant, and easily cleaned. I used the "white" while most will tell you to use the "Designer white". I didn't feel like waiting for the DW to get shipped, but I have no issues with any color problems. This screen is as good as the samples benito sent me. To frame it, I just used baseboard and covered it with felt. Easy peasy.
I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin /forum/post/20774336

All depends on how much you want to spend on protecting the screen. Curtains might be the easiest to do. I know the wife does not like but i'm sure she will like even less having to buy a new skin for that frame.

How big a screen are you going with?

Benito

106" AT screen

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a master thread for the wilsonart idea? I see some posts, but nothing definitive with detailed instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes /forum/post/20773738

Here are some ideas.. best is saved for last but don't cheat!

Get a decorative roller shade and pull it down over the screen.

Buy a sheet of plexi glass and add hooks to hold it. Remove when you want to watch tv.. pain in the but but would work..

Build a nice wooden cabinet around the screen with fancy sliding/folding doors.(big bucks)

ban the kids from the basement. (painful)

Hang curtains, it is your house to!

Buy an inexpensive manual screen, live with the possible waves and don't worry about the screen. upgrade to a fixed screen when the kids are older.

Jump over the the DIY screen forum and lean how to make a painted screen on your existing wall, or a painted screen on light weight substrate cost is under $200 and you can repaint if it gets to messed up..

Make a frame and use WilsonArt laminate for your screen 100% washable, it is what they make counter tops out of. (this is a fixed screen that solves all your problems, as long as you have some DIY skills to make a velvet covered frame etc.. Lots if info on wilsonsart down in the DIY sub forum.

This is a link to umr's testing of screen materials and it includes the Wilsonart.
http://accucalhd.com/documents/accuc...een_report.pdf

Good luck with whatever you do..

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ummm... you aren't going to be able to do AT with WilsonArt.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I threatened my children with selling them to science if they ruined my home theater equipment

Honestly, my kids who are now 13 and 16 have been using my equipment since they were 5 or 6. I taught them from that age how to use the home theater equipment and they have always been respectful of it. I never had a problem with them every ruining it. Maybe because I involved them in the workings, it never became some sort of fascinating thing they had to touch at all times.

We used to keep candy bowls in their rooms and the kids rarely touched the stuff.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki /forum/post/20775194

I threatened my children with selling them to science if they ruined by home theater equipment

Honestly, my kids who are now 13 and 16 have been using my equipment since they were 5 or 6. I taught them from that age how to use the home theater equipment and they have always been respectful of it. I never had a problem with them every ruining it. Maybe because I involved them in the workings, it never became some sort of fascinating thing they had to touch at all times.

We used to keep candy bowls in their rooms and the kids rarely touched the stuff.

Um.. do you live in Stepford??

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
ban all food and drink in viewing area ..

fabricate some giant shutters

stretch plastic wrap in front of screen

buy a screen that's easily wiped off and is stain proof

... how can it be protected when you are watching something on it .. ? It's going to be vulnerable any way you slice it ..

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
I have a wooden equipment bench, 6 ft W, 16"H, 18"D, right under my screen. (It has 2 vertical partitions, making 3 side by side sections, with 2 adjustible shelves in each; it houses my AVR, BD player, Comcast dvr, etc.) And for present purposes, it provides a nice buffer that tends to keep unwanted attention away from the screen.

·
Banned
960 Posts
What about some flat black light weight 'doors' that you can put on hinges and just open when it comes time to viewing. I did something similar to this for 4:3 panels back in the day, you can always extend them and make them cover the entire screen.

Benito

·
Registered
17,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin /forum/post/20775869

What about some flat black light weight 'doors' that you can put on hinges and just open when it comes time to viewing. I did something similar to this for 4:3 panels back in the day, you can always extend them and make them cover the entire screen.

Benito

That would be a giant shutter .. also helpful if a hurricane blows thru ..

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate /forum/post/20775025

Ummm... you aren't going to be able to do AT with WilsonArt.

Well technically, I guess he could drill all of the tiny holes.

My six year old (11 now) did so well (never touched it going on 5 years) about not touching my Pull down HP screen, that I felt fine about installing a fixed frame screen a couple years ago. I just explained to him that it would ruin the screen and then we would not have a projector. Since he loves watching movies on the projector, he refrained from touching the screen. My fixed frame is in a dedicated room, not a room where kids play or watch TV.

If the screen is going to be in an area where kids play (throw things), then nothing short of covering the screen is going to guarantee protection of the screen. Curtains are the most practical solution to this problem.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was thinking of a removable flexible cover sheet (laminate, fabric, or something similar) that could easily be removed and rolled up (for easy storage) when the screen is in use.

I am surprised that manufacturers that make these very expensive screens don't have something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/20775394

ban all food and drink in viewing area ..

fabricate some giant shutters

stretch plastic wrap in front of screen

buy a screen that's easily wiped off and is stain proof

... how can it be protected when you are watching something on it .. ? It's going to be vulnerable any way you slice it ..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.