AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the Samsung 46' LCD C610 and it is awesome so far. I have my PS3 hooked up to it via HDMI but I noticed something. The specs say it is a 120hz TV but when starting a blu-ray the top left corner says "1920x1080 60Hz". Is there a setting I need to change or is this more related to the source material being played? Any info would be much appreciated. Also I read something about calibration settings that you should use for your TV, not sure what that's about seems pretty good to me.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
In any LCD HDTV, the horizontal refresh rate of the display is fixed, not variable. It will be 60/120/240/480Hz. The display that you saw was giving you the specs of the input signal, which had a 60Hz framerate. Your 120Hz HDTV is fixed at 120Hz. There is a technique called "frame rate conversion" that is used to match the input signal to the output signal by repeating frames.

In this regard, HDTVs are unlike computer monitors, many of which are genuine multi-scanning displays.

By the way, set your PS3 fror 24Hz output, which is the native frame rate of the movie recorded on the Blu-Ray. Your HDTV will do "5:5" pulldown, repeating each input frame 5 times on the fixed 120Hz screen. I have a PS3 I have been playing BR's on since 2007, it has never had a game played on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Gary, exactly what I needed to know. Btw are you familiar with the motion blur setting? It gives an option of 0-10, not sure what the best option if for that one. I need to figure out how to calibrate the TV at some point as well, anyone ever use video essentials?

·
Registered
6,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nramsay /forum/post/19520808

Thanks for the info Gary, exactly what I needed to know. Btw are you familiar with the motion blur setting? It gives an option of 0-10, not sure what the best option if for that one. I need to figure out how to calibrate the TV at some point as well, anyone ever use video essentials?

The motion blur setting regulates how agressive the frame interpolation setting is. My own 120Hz HDTV only has Off/Low/Med/High, I usually run mine on High for most things. But this more than anything else is a matter of taste, just experiment and please your own eyes.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The motion blur setting allows you to determine the size of the objects for which frame interpolation gets applied. The lowest setting means the largest objects only and the highest setting means it is applied to all or almost all objects. The smaller the object for which frame interpoation is applied the more likley you are to have artifacts. I use the lowest setting on my LCD and have no artifacts and it does fine even with text such as game scores or stock quotes scrolling across the bottom of the screen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts