AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see much on this forum about the Pioneer VSX-59TXi, especially that talks about its multi room functionality. In fact, I don't see much about multi room for any brand.

My question for all you gurus out there is how to set up multi room using the VSX-59TXi? The 59TXi manual is VERY, VERY vague about that.

What I am interested in attempting is A) simultaneously play a 5.1 movie in the main room and audio only from a different source in zone 2. Also want to be able to do B) play same source in both zones at the same time. Would prefer NOT to use a second amp for the second room and I only want to use one set of speakers in the second room.

Since I haven't bought the 59TXi yet, I would also be interested in looking at other options (I am looking for flagship level receivers or equivalent amp combos).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avstooge
I don't see much on this forum about the Pioneer VSX-59TXi, especially that talks about its multi room functionality. In fact, I don't see much about multi room for any brand.

My question for all you gurus out there is how to set up multi room using the VSX-59TXi? The 59TXi manual is VERY, VERY vague about that.

What I am interested in attempting is A) simultaneously play a 5.1 movie in the main room and audio only from a different source in zone 2. Also want to be able to do B) play same source in both zones at the same time. Would prefer NOT to use a second amp for the second room and I only want to use one set of speakers in the second room.

Since I haven't bought the 59TXi yet, I would also be interested in looking at other options (I am looking for flagship level receivers or equivalent amp combos).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Generally with most multi-room receivers you still require a second amp to power the secondary set..unless of course you use the "B" speakers on your receiver..but that would only help you with playing the same source at the same time in diff rooms. That would not help you with dual sources. Most multi room receivers have alternate ouputs to go to a secondary amp using RCA etc. Then you adjust the room setting within the Menu of the receiver itself for source output etc.

Im not sure even with a second amp you can have one room doing 5.1/6.1 etc while another is outputting 2 channel stereo signal. I could be wrong though.

You would also need some type of an RF device to control the receiver from an alternative location in your house. Some nice remotes will do exactly that with IR repeaters. Unless of course you want 2 remotes working..one for upstairs and the other for downstairs or however your setup will be.

With a secondary amp you could attach it to the input of your receiver then run the speaker wire to the speakers in the other rooms. Your receiver will do all the source switching so there would be no need for any other device in your other room. But again you would need an RF device to switch cd..raise volume etc. You could attach the IR repeater to all your devices in the main room and bring the remote upstairs with you or whatever.

I hope I at least helped out some. I'm sure there are folks in here with MUCH more knowledge on the subject than I.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
With a secondary amp you could attach it to the input of your receiver then run the speaker wire to the speakers in the other rooms. Your receiver will do all the source switching so there would be no need for any other device in your other room. But again you would need an RF device to switch cd..raise volume etc. You could attach the IR repeater to all your devices in the main room and bring the remote upstairs with you or whatever.
Thanks TritonMan.

I am a novice when it comes to hooking up the second amp and running the speaker wires. Not even sure this is the best place for us to discuss further instructions.

My set-up would be both amps in the same rack/cabinet, and I generally use the controls on the receiver panels instead of remote controls, so the IR would not be needed in my situation.

I would use my old trusty Pioneer VSX-9500S as the second amp (yes it is still ticking and well). So which RCA jacks would I use on the old machine and where would I plug in to on the 59TXi? I still only want to use one set of speakers in room 2 and I definitely DO want to keep the A/B functionality of the 59TXi.

I appreciate you taking time to help walk me through this.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avstooge
Thanks TritonMan.

I am a novice when it comes to hooking up the second amp and running the speaker wires. Not even sure this is the best place for us to discuss further instructions.

My set-up would be both amps in the same rack/cabinet, and I generally use the controls on the receiver panels instead of remote controls, so the IR would not be needed in my situation.

I would use my old trusty Pioneer VSX-9500S as the second amp (yes it is still ticking and well). So which RCA jacks would I use on the old machine and where would I plug in to on the 59TXi? I still only want to use one set of speakers in room 2 and I definitely DO want to keep the A/B functionality of the 59TXi.

I appreciate you taking time to help walk me through this.
I havent seen the back of the Pioneer you are considering so Im not 100% sure which connections in the back to use. If its anything like my Sony it is labelled 2 source, 3rd source etc.

As far as the input on your old Pioneer..you should be able to use anyone of the inputs just as if you were attaching a dvd or cd player etc.

The benefit of using an RF remote is you dont have to obviously be in the same room as the receiver to raise or lower the volume. I would expect it to be a pain to run back and forth to change cd's songs etc

As far as the A/B funtionality..you could actually setup a 3rd room for music as well..but again as mentioned before only 1 source at one time on the Pioneer in both rooms controlled by the flagship.

Edit: Your very welcome on help. Im not the smartest guy on the block when it comes to this stuff..but I try to help out whenever i can :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have mutliroom sert up on my h/k320. never used it but tried it once. it has the rca out on th back of it. i ran that to another amp downstairs. it worked great wit the same source. not sure about using a diffent source though. u may want to try to call up or email pioner. im sure they will be more than helpfull

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Avstooge,

I looked at the Pioneer manual. It’s not that complicated, really. You do have to have a separate amplifier to drive the secondary speakers – sorry. Some other manufacturers do have speaker connections for the second zone, but not this particular Pioneer model.

The only thing tricky about it in the manual is the optional remote receiver. This allows you to utilize the VSX-59TXi remote in the second room. This seems really silly to me – I’d want to keep the main remote in the main room. About all you can do with it anyway is enable the second room function and select what you want the source to be. You could do all that from the main room and lose the IR receiver. Or get a second programmable remote, if you really want control from the second room. If your old receiver’s remote already has learning functions, you’re in.

Quote:

Running cables of some kind to the second room is unavoidable. But instead of running speaker cables, it makes more sense to me to just run signal cables instead, and put the old receiver in the second room, as r: o : b recommended. That way you have your volume etc. controls right there on site.

Quote:
So which RCA jacks would I use on the old machine and where would I plug in to on the 59TXi?
See the Pioneer manual, pg. 83. As TritonMan said, any input on your old receiver will do. However, if you have a Tape Monitor input I think I’d use that.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All,

Sorry it took so long to put this post, but maybe others will benefit. Or maybe others will have more suggestions for me. And also sorry for the two short posts because I could not find the error in this message that the forum admin said was there because I di not have five previous posts.

At any rate, here is what I ended up doing. Keep in mind that my multi-room situation is such that both the receiver and second amp (actually my old Pioneer VSX-9500S receiver) are in the SAME cabinet and I do ALL of the controls for this using the front panel of the 59TXi. For my situation that is more convenient and simple than using the remote. The remote functionality is not an issue. However, as noted above in previous posts I was adamant about NOT stringing more wire and buying second sets of speakers for the multi-room functionality.

My set-up is such that I have surround 5.1 in my main room. I have the remainder of my house wired with speakers in the Master BR, Den, Dining Rm, Bar and out door Deck/hot tub. Main room is wired to speaker 'A' on the 59TXi and the rest of the house is wired to speaker 'B' on the 59TXi using a Niles SVL-6 Speaker Selector.

How I ended up doing the multi room is that I inserted a Niles SPK-1 Voltage Activated A/B Switch between the 59TXi 'B' speaker feed and the Niles SVL-6. I connected the multi room outputs of the 59TXi to the Tape Monitor inputs of my Pioneer VSX-9500S, as suggested by Wayne above. I ran speaker connects from the 9500S Main speaker output also to the Niles SPK-1. And the 12VDC Adapter for the SPK-1 is plugged directly into a switched outlet on the back of the 9500S. I followed the wiring diagram exactly as depicted in the SPK-1 Hookup and Operating Instructions (FIG 1) on the nilesaudio dot com site (had to write this site out because the forum rules won't let me post a site address because I am too new).

On the 59TXi, I set the multiroom control to variable so that the volume would be controlled by the 59TXi (personal preference). Regardless of what I am playing on speaker 'B' from the 59TXi, when I actually turn on the power of the 9500S, the speaker switch (SPK-1) switches accordingly. Pretty cool, actually. AND VERY FOOLPROOF for a stooge/novice like me so that I don't blow out speakers or receiver or something.

I did not have to string any wires to the second room (other than the speaker wires that were already in place for the second, third, fourth and 5th rooms. And now I can play a DVD or VHS movie in the main room for the rug rats (yes my kids know who I am referring to--Nyuk! Nyuk!) and we adults can play cards in the dining room or soak in the hot tub to the music of our choice.

Note that the 59TXi, the Niles SVL-6, the Niles SPK-1 and the Pioneer VSX-9500S are all domiciled in the SAME cabinet, along with the other 11 units of my system. Yes sounds impressive, but I am still a novice learning how to get best use out of these (I have a couple CD players, 2 tape daecks, 2 VCRs, a DVD player and a DVR).

NOW, I have not done a lot of testing yet, but I did discover that sound from the multi-room speakers is noticeably better when using the multi-room functionality with the second amp (the VSX-9500S) versus simply turning on speaker 'B' on the 59TXi. I presume this is sort of the equivalent of placing amps in the lines for speakers and using the 59TXi as a pre-amp. So THAT is an unexpected benefit, since my original desire was to run everything with just the one receiver (the 59TXi). Plus, keeping the second receiver will give me the capability later to add more input sources, if needed. Silver linings in every cloud, I suppose.

Anyways, I am new to the forum, but thought I would report back on what I ended up doing. Let me know if questions. I can't believe there isn't more out in the forum on this Multi-room subject (or on the Pioneer 59TXi for that matter). Thanks again Wayne, R.O.B. and TritonMan for your responses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.