AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi


I was wondering if it is possible to stream audio to a system that has no monitor.


I was thinking of using a powerline solution to get network access into the kitchen. Then build a small PC using a mini Intel Motherboard. I would not have space for a monitor in the Kitchen.


I have an idea but don't know if it can be done. Can you stream audio from a HTPC running Windows 7 and listen to the audio on the HTPC using WMC and at the same time stream to another system over the LAN connection?


If so what kind of device can I use in the kitchen to stream the audio to?


Many thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,476 Posts
I'd suggest buying a purpose built media player and just stream from your main HTPC via wi-fi. I use a Roku Soundbridge for a similar purpose but they are not sold anymore. I would suggest you check out the Digital Media Servers & Content Streamers forum for recommendations.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39


You could do the same thing with another purpose built HTPC, but that seems overkill, plus with the purpose built devices you get an LCD screen so that you can control the device.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
I'm actually doing precisely what you're asking about with an old P3 1Ghz machine in my bedroom. The only way it's possible for me is with Gmote on my Droid. Otherwise no, it really just doesn't work well. You can however buy/build a HTPC case with a small LCD in the front which would be more than large enough for just playing back music.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Astra /forum/post/18262007


Hi


I was wondering if it is possible to stream audio to a system that has no monitor.


I was thinking of using a powerline solution to get network access into the kitchen. Then build a small PC using a mini Intel Motherboard. I would not have space for a monitor in the Kitchen.


I have an idea but don't know if it can be done. Can you stream audio from a HTPC running Windows 7 and listen to the audio on the HTPC using WMC and at the same time stream to another system over the LAN connection?


If so what kind of device can I use in the kitchen to stream the audio to?


Many thanks


This is how I do it with the xp machine without monitor. I am sure it will work with windows 7 also since I use my playlists from win 7 on the xp machine and also the remote.


For my main media computer I have a foldier shared called music.

On that same computer I have the foldier music assigned as a network drive called Z. yes it is a foldier on the same computer as a network drive letter Z. I have media player for that computer setup for drive Z for music.

On the computer without the monitor I have the network drive foldier music from the main media computer setup as drive z for music. On the same computer I have the foldier with the media playlist shared. The reason why I did this is so when I add more music to z and create a playlist it will match song locations for all computers. All I have to do is copy the newly made play list from the main computer to the shared playlist foldier on the other computer. Now that computer will have the same playlist.


To view and play my music and playlist on the computer without the moniter I use this remote.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/6141/sany0023l.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Dell-XPS-M20...ht_2943wt_1166


I am able to browse media player and select songs or playlists without a monitor.


Windows 7 driver
http://www.mediafire.com/?rj2ncznmv1t


Gyration makes the dell and has their own version of the same remote.The dongles (USB RF receiver) for both remotes are not the same.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Gyration-Air...ht_3661wt_1165
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Ah, yeah, the Air Remote Music is what Gyration Calls it, I have one of those for my main HTPC as well, I don't use the built in music functions on it because I've had compatibility problems with Win7, but when I did get it working for a while, it worked quite well, though the screen is rather small IMHO, that's why I use Gmote on my headless system exclusively now, well that and Wifi access to the server means no distance limitations with Wifi in my whole house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
If you have LAN then you could use the Belkin LAN USB hub. Then you don't need a second PC. Just buy a cheap USB audio card. You could also attach a small USB keypad to the hub, then you can control the music from your kitchen.


Belkin USB hub is about$99 I believe, an USB audio card $3



Soitjes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/18264144


Ah, yeah, the Air Remote Music is what Gyration Calls it, I have one of those for my main HTPC as well, I don't use the built in music functions on it because I've had compatibility problems with Win7, but when I did get it working for a while, it worked quite well, though the screen is rather small IMHO, that's why I use Gmote on my headless system exclusively now, well that and Wifi access to the server means no distance limitations with Wifi in my whole house.

No problems here with windows 7, installed the driver and synced the remote to the dongle is all I really did.The android does sound interesting for a phone and remote combo. I need some info please if you can. Lets say someone calls you while a song is playing are you still able to browse your music to select another song or play list while connected with the caller on speaker phone? Does the phone with Gmote work without phone service? It would be nice to have another for just the remote feature. What kind of headless system are you using the android with?


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Astra /forum/post/18262007


Hi


I was wondering if it is possible to stream audio to a system that has no monitor.


I was thinking of using a powerline solution to get network access into the kitchen. Then build a small PC using a mini Intel Motherboard. I would not have space for a monitor in the Kitchen.


I have an idea but don't know if it can be done. Can you stream audio from a HTPC running Windows 7 and listen to the audio on the HTPC using WMC and at the same time stream to another system over the LAN connection?


If so what kind of device can I use in the kitchen to stream the audio to?


Many thanks


I think I may of misread your post. Did you want the same song playing in the 2 locations at the same time? or did you want to play music in just the kitchen on a separate system? What I posted was for music on a separate system with files on the other system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie2u /forum/post/18264927


No problems here with windows 7, installed the driver and synced the remote to the dongle is all I really did.The android does sound interesting for a phone and remote combo. I need some info please if you can. Lets say someone calls you while a song is playing are you still able to browse your music to select another song or play list while connected with the caller on speaker phone? Does the phone with Gmote work without phone service? It would be nice to have another for just the remote feature. What kind of headless system are you using the android with?


Thanks

I haven't checked to see what all I can or cannot do while in a call, never really been an issue for me, though I could certainly see how it could come up. The music system is a P3 1ghz wtih 512mb of ram and a 10GB hard drive with an Asus Xonar DS feeding a dedicated stereo amplifier and some old sony tower speakers. And yes, Gmote works over your Wifi only, so you don't need any cell service for it to work.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top