AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you stream video? I am looking to stream from a desktop to my laptop. I have Windows XP on both computers and can use a wired network at 10/100 or wireless 803.11b.

What software? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just download windows media encoder 7. Its free, you can install it on XP, and it will work with most capture cards. Get it running, and connect to it with windows media player by selecting open URL.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Second for using Windows Media Encoder. I had it going about 2 minutes after installing it and it is fast too...I was getting smoother video streaming with it then if I captured to my hard drive! That probably has something to do with it totally using up your whole CPU for the catpure.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, three posts to my question. I guess am not the only one dreaming of home theather. Thank you, as I will look into both ideas.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Why the need for streaming software, instead of just sharing the files and accessing it directly?

·
Registered
408 Posts
So you can view live TV :) I have my HTPC streaming whenever I sit and do work. That way I can always have live TV on my desktop.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So do I have this straight:

1.) To do live TV you would put this through the capture card and stream using windows streaming encoder? Does this give you full screen? or just a little boxs?

2.) Instead of streaming the video. I can access my video files over the network and play with my favorite program such as PowerDVD or Windows Media player. This setup would not require the windows streaming encoder.

Do I have this correct?

Can you clarify this statement: You would really only use a streaming encoder if you are using the internet or want to watch live TV from another PC?

Thanks for all your replies and help.

·
Registered
408 Posts
1. It gives you whatever your capture card can deliver. I stream over 802.11, so I usually am running 320x240 with 700kbit video datarate. This is with a cheap $40 capturecard (bt8x8). You could get an osprey or something more expensive, and stream full-screen. I don't personally have a use for this at home, but, we do do this at work without any problems.

2. Yeah it would not.

The difference between the two is you're encoding live content from or DSS, etc. vs playing back static files off disk.

So you'd only use an encoder if you wanted to watch live TV/DSS/etc. 'somewhere else' in your house, or wherever.

Ofcourse you could use it to broadcast your DVDs over your lan or wireless lan, but that's another story.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
You can use it to broadcast files as well and you gain a superior transport method. Streaming can use UDP which is really better for video. If you get a hiccup in the line, it is simply ignored where as with TCP, the computer tries to stop and get everything. TCP is nice when you want the whole file verbatim. UDP is good if you just want to watch the thing with no interruptions.

But you're right, most likely most people only use the streaming with "live" content.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kon, Can you elaborate on this, please.

"Ofcourse you could use it to broadcast your DVDs over your lan or wireless lan, but that's another story."

Thanks.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Flyer,

Option 1: Use videolan to stream dvds across your network

Option 2: Hook your WinTV or other capture card to your receiver, you can use it to route signals to the encoder. i.e. stream a dvd from your dvd player, tv from antenna, or even dss.

etc.

And yeah UDP is always better than TCP for live streams. UDP multicast is even better (especially over 802.11). This way (example) my wife can watch the broadcast on her PC if she wants to, and I can watch it at the same time, while using only 1x the bandwidth. When you use 802.11a, this adds up quick if your stream is 700k to each user vs 1x700k to everyone. You need to install windows media server for this, and your HTPC would have to be running win2k server or .net server, or NT4 server.

There are 10000 ways to skin a streaming cat, but windows media is probably the simplest (and free) to setup, and provides decent reliability and compression vs quality ratios.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.