AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What software do you guys use to watch your movies and catalogue your collection when playing through your HTPC?

I use XBMC so therefore its in-built player and i like using XBMC as a media organiser and viewer because of the iOS remote app but I see better video results with Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

Id like to watch through MPCHC but dont want to be restricted to using a mouse and windows explorer for cataloguing.

Are there any other methods to viewing and watching?

Im sure there are other options but im new to HTPC with this being my first build so please be gentle.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
WMC with YAMMM to populate. All controlled with a remote. Same content is available on all 6 TV's in the house, all controlled with remotes.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I use XBMC with MPC-HC set up as the external player. Use Yatse on my phone as a remote control along with Event Ghost for the things Yatse can't do (i.e. turning on/off AVR, projector, etc).

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Roku sometimes.

Ipad 3 sometimes. (often) [with headphones]

HTPC often. MB3 theater usually,

But I use MB classic and PLEX often enough too.

iphone occasionally (screen is small)

My content I make available to my brother/sister in law and my parents via MB3 or PLEX on their ROKU or ipads or HTPC's too.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
HTPC exclusively with XBMC for streaming Blu-Rays in mkv format with HD audio from my server. I don't use no stinkin' iPad or dinky little screen for movie watching. They were meant to be seen on a big screen with full surround and not squinted at and listened to with ear buds. I never watch in-flight movies when I fly for this very reason.

No offense, but Mfusick never ceases to amaze me. On one hand he demands the best performance possible and then watches movies on an iPad or an iPhone. What's the point of having a Home Theater if you're not going to use it to the fullest extent?

·
Registered
773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video  /t/1521051/how-do-you-watch-your-movies-and-view-your-collection#post_24443621

HTPC exclusively with XBMC for streaming Blu-Rays in mkv format with HD audio from my server. I don't use no stinkin' iPad or dinky little screen for movie watching. They were meant to be seen on a big screen with full surround and not squinted at and listened to with ear buds. I never watch in-flight movies when I fly for this very reason.

No offense, but Mfusick never ceases to amaze me. On one hand he demands the best performance possible and then watches movies on an iPad or an iPhone. What's the point of having a Home Theater if you're not going to use it to the fullest extent?

Well, Mfusick can speak for himself of course but I'm guessing he might be watching on his phone or tablet when the TV's not available? Don't know about him but I've only got the 1 TV/HT setup in my house and my wife hasn't gotten the memo yet that I should be able to watch whatever I want whenever I want to see it.
Which does leave one looking for alternatives. That said, I tend to agree with you. I'll watch a movie on my laptop from time to time when I'm traveling for work but that's it. I would never, ever think of watching a movie on my phone and don't even own a tablet. And my compromise with the wife as far as the TV is concerned was to get some wireless headphones so I can watch early on the weekend when she's still reading the paper, or if I'm up in the middle of the night (I'm an insomniac and our house is a little one bedroom so I'd wake her up otherwise).

As to the thread question, I'm with you on watching all my movies through XBMC (like you, all MKVs off my server w/HD audio). I might be curious about trying an external player just for comparison sake but my HTPC is a NUC running openelec off a thumb drive so that's not an option anyway.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Yup. If wifey is watching something on main system I'll often watch in another room. Or on the ipad.

I use the iPad in bed with headphones so I don't wake her up. I like to just turn it off and go to sleep, and she prefers this to my using the tv with sound.

All of my iPad or my secondary watching like Roku in the second room is non critical viewing. Typically TV shows or dumb stuff I like but wife does not like.

For a movie I use the HTPC and 7.1 surround sound. I care what it sounds and looks like. I watch it on the main system.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So many acronyms has got me all confused....

lets start with

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE  /t/1521051/how-do-you-watch-your-movies-and-view-your-collection#post_24442482

I use XBMC with MPC-HC set up as the external player. Use Yatse on my phone as a remote control along with Event Ghost for the things Yatse can't do (i.e. turning on/off AVR, projector, etc).

Yatse? Event Ghost?

Ive read the wiki for using MPC-HC but couldnt get it to work, the screen would flash quickly when i play and them nothing.

Can you post your script so i can copy and paste it please?

and next....
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod  /t/1521051/how-do-you-watch-your-movies-and-view-your-collection#post_24442224

WMC with YAMMM to populate. All controlled with a remote. Same content is available on all 6 TV's in the house, all controlled with remotes.

i like the content sharing aspect.

Is the remote an infra red remote or like an iPhone app or something entirely different? Can you post a link or brand and spec of what you use please?

what is WMC and YAMMM?

Thank guys.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1521051/how-do-you-watch-your-movies-and-view-your-collection#post_24444161

Yup. If wifey is watching something on main system I'll often watch in another room. Or on the ipad.

I use the iPad in bed with headphones so I don't wake her up. I like to just turn it off and go to sleep, and she prefers this to my using the tv with sound.

All of my iPad or my secondary watching like Roku in the second room is non critical viewing. Typically TV shows or dumb stuff I like but wife does not like.

For a movie I use the HTPC and 7.1 surround sound. I care what it sounds and looks like. I watch it on the main system.
Phew. You had me worried there for a minute. I take it all back.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassysimon  /t/1521051/how-do-you-watch-your-movies-and-view-your-collection#post_24445597

i like the content sharing aspect.

Is the remote an infra red remote or like an iPhone app or something entirely different? Can you post a link or brand and spec of what you use please?

what is WMC and YAMMM?

Thank guys.

WMC = Windows Media Center

YAMMM = Yet Another Metadata Media Manager

The remotes are Universal Remote that control Windows Media Center Extenders (and TV's power and volume/mute functions) that are connected to main HTPC via wired Ethernet (sharing part).

Each TV is like its own DVR, gets access to all the cable channels, AND all of the media (music, videos, movies, pictures).

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video  /t/1521051/how-do-you-watch-your-movies-and-view-your-collection/0_100#post_24446256

Phew. You had me worried there for a minute. I take it all back.

95% of my watching is from the server and not live tv. I like to wait a couple weeks then watch a few episodes back to back. If I get a new release movie I tend to rip it immediately bit in some cases I never get around to watching it for a few weeks. That's one of the nice things about having a media server is that you can watch on your own time table.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I rarely watch anything live unless it's in the family room and we have on Sprout or some other kids channel for the grandkids. I'll put on a Pixar movie or something similar to keep them entertained, but you can only watch Cars so many times. I couldn't wait more than a few days to watch what I record or else I'd never get caught up.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassysimon  /t/1521051/how-do-you-watch-your-movies-and-view-your-collection#post_24445597

So many acronyms has got me all confused....

lets start with

Yatse? Event Ghost?

Google is your friend

Yatse

EventGhost
Quote:
Ive read the wiki for using MPC-HC but couldnt get it to work, the screen would flash quickly when i play and them nothing.

Can you post your script so i can copy and paste it please?

I don't use a script, just set up the external player using playercorefactory.xml as discussed here

A few things to check:

1. Make sure you've got the playercorefactory.xml file in the correct location
  2. Make sure the path to the MPC-HC executable is correct
  3. Make sure the filetypes are set up for the right file extensions (i.e. mkv, ts, avi, etc)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts