AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be getting a Leeza at some point but the question can pertain to any scaler. How do you actually work them

For example, in regards to input aspect ratios, does this mean that you have to tell the scaler if the dvd you are playing is either letterbox or anamorphic and if its 1.78 or 1.85 or whatever

When you select the output aspect ratios, do they follow the input aspect ratios or assuming you have a 16x9 screen do you always choose 1.78.

So for example, I play the Phantom Menance dvd. Its anamorphic and 1.85. Do i tell the scaler that is 1.85 and anamorphic for input and for output do I type in the same or because I have a 16x9 screen, I output 1.78.

As this will be my first scaler, I would like to get a handle with it. IF you can, please use my example in your response.

PS If i screwed up on my aspect ratios, please forgive me

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Hi,

Yep, for scalers that utilize an "INPUT APSPECT" vs "OUTPUT ASPECT" system of aspect ratio control.

You typically setup your "OUTPUT ASPECT" once, except when changing displays or changing display configuration (ie, adding an anamorphic lens to a projector).

However, for simple screen setups, you can simply use the ANAMORPHIC button on your remote control (ROCK and LEEZA) and avoid needing to setup "INPUT ASPECT".

It's usually when you need more exotic screen setups, such as constant-height varying-width, that the exact "INPUT ASPECT" should be specified, so that aspect ratio conversion is done properly.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
>>"I have a 16x9 screen and have the panny lens, then what would I use as the output aspect ratio"

Easy -- The aspect ratio of your screen. This is usually the aspect ratio of the biggest image size that your projection system can produce.

If you frequently remove the anamorphic lens, you will need to switch between the two output aspect ratios.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi Mark, I always enjoy Reading your posts. :)

In the 7SC Extron's user's manual they advise:

"To get the best results when using a DVD as a video source, Extron recommends that the DVD player istself be setup to output an aspect ratio of 16:9 and not 4:3. Because all DVD's are mastered as 16:9, having them set up for anything else will cause the player to internally scale and compress the signal. This scaling/compression by the DVD player will defeat the advantage of having 3-2 pulldown detection in the System 7SC."

What do you think about that, are all the dvds mastered 16:9?

In my own test with the 406 scaler from Extron if I set the dvd player to 4:3 I get very bad results: jumping and stuttering images.

Federico

Federico

·
Registered
458 Posts
Federico

How do you like the Extron scaler in Home Theater setting? A few dealers told me that Extron has to go a long way to learn HT market as far as user friendly, front plate, etc...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm very interested in what Fredrico has to say about the DVS 406. I've used a lot, and I mean a lot, of System 7sc's and I have to admit they really aren't for HT. I can say this...in the 30-40 of them I've installed, the System 7sc has always looked better than the displays internal scaler and I have never had a single failure. Some installations date back to January. Extron stuff is bullet-proof, but it doesn't always look nice.

One other thing...I've also installed alot, and I mean a lot, of extron DVS 100's and 150's and their video quality is poor at best. When Extron came out with the System 7 I assumed they fired their whole engineering department and got a new set of guys. I've been telling them for months to make a stand-alone scaler based on the System 7. Looks like someone was listening.

·
Registered
410 Posts
dkolb, I believe that the 150 and 7SC are using the same scaler.

This scaler, 406, is completely different, I have one 7sc here right now and can tell they are really different.

The controls on the front panel are very similar and when you get use to it, it is very ease to control. There is something that I don't like, when you select a funtion, lets say vertical size, it return to the extron sign very quickly so each time you want to retouch you will have to select vertical size again.

There are many features that makes this scaler very friendly: after you select the output format you can change the vertical, horizontal size and vertical, horizontal position to fill the screen and to match with anamorphic lens, if you are using one.

If you have the chance to test one 406 it is very important that you set your dvd to 16:9 and set the 406 to true 72Hz, but be aware that it cannot do true 72Hz at: 1280X1024, 1365X1024 (DILAS), and it will be always @ 60Hz when doing 480P, 720P, 1080P and 1080I.

Last night I make AB test using a PC and a dvdo pro, as you should know dvdo is out of this game, dvdo looks like a VCR when compared with a PC or to the 406. This test was using a LT100 first and then with a LT150. When with the LT150 the difference with the PC become more obvious. Both the Pc and the 406 where at 1024X768 @ 72Hz refresh rate. When change from 60Hz to 72Hz two things happens, the picture looks with more punch like a more contrast and there is absolutely no jumping or stuttering.

We were 5 person watching, for me and two of my friends the Pc looks more natural more film like, the two others said that the 406 liked then more b/c it is sharper than the Pc.

I think that somebody will ask about the diference between the LT100 and the LT150, the answer that the LT150 is much better than the LT100: better contrast, better gray scale and the LT100 looks out of focus when compared to the LT150. To mak this test I send the same signal to both projectors an simply cover one or the other lense, so it is very ease to see the difference.

If you have any specific question, jus let me know.

Federico

·
Registered
117 Posts
The DVS100 and DVS150 are completely different scalers, with different scaling engines than the System 7SC. The System 7SC is packed with features and technology that is not in the DVS150. The DVS406 from all that I have been told is also very different from the System 7SC.

Scaling technology has changed a lot in the last couple years. With every new technology there seems to be a new generation of scalers or at least new revisions of existing scalers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.