AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Well don't knock the Sony too much. According to the BB Spec sheet, it has colors!

Colours Yes

That's much better than those older non coloured units!

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
I have not seen the PG but I own the XG and had the Sony HS51A which is essentially same as AW15.

XG walks all over the Sony practically in every area other than sharpness but not overall detail. Sony has nice black level with DI but still it is way off. Sony is slightly brighter if you run the Nec conservatively. Get the Nec in good condition and you will be very happy. I just sold my Sony.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
A CRT takes more dedication to set up.

A digital will look better from the get go, a CRT has a learning curve too it. With a CRT, it helps out if you have a plan in mind. Screen size/gain, viewing environment, viewing material, processor, tube condition...

Deron.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Sony is waaaay easier. Portable. Doesn't need no stinking external processor. Can be carried from one room to another, to a friends house. Oh yeah, and you can move it by yourself.

Other than that, the NEC will smoke it. And it won't need new bulbs every few thousand hours. If the first things are more important to you than picture, go with the Sony. They aren't terrible - I've been tempted more than once. But my PG extra looks (to me) far better than the latest "hot" 1080p lcd that I tried out. (Mits 5000) But be SURE to remember that the NEC will need some kind of external processor in order to achieve this superior performance; with today's prices, its entirely possible to pay double, or even triple for the processor, compared to the mere projector price. ? - yes, I'm running a VP50 (2999 list) with my PGx - but dang, it sure looks good. And I haven't had to replace a bulb in 3+ years.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
An NEC PG is better, but it's a crapshoot to see if you get one that isn't fouled up with a) it's reference white balance and b) it's magnetics setup.

If you're a perfectionist, get the Sony. In my opinion it's only drawback is black level. It has a nice natural color to it, and it's sharp. The only other drawback is that it has significant screen door. An IMX lens with that Sony would be very nice....

The other issue is fan noise...the Sony is virtually silent, the NEC is anything but!! It's loud!

Image vs Image - the NEC for sure...after taking everything into consideration - probably the Sony.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benareeno /forum/post/12883946

An NEC PG is better, but it's a crapshoot to see if you get one that isn't fouled up with a) it's reference white balance and b) it's magnetics setup.

Maybe you've had bad luck with surplus units, but NECs aren't any worse than other sets, as long as untrained monkeys haven't gotten into the set with a screwdriver, tweaking stuff that they shouldn't.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
If you want a plug and play solution that will never get any better than it is on day one then get the Sony. If you want a hobby and a chance at achieving a more film-like image with blacks as dark as night then go CRT. It takes time and effort but I personally prefer knowing that with each and every setup the picture gets better and better. In my opinion, LCD looks lifeless while CRT (especially an NEC) can produce color and fleshtones on par with reality.

The selfish side of me says to tell you to buy the LCD.
We need the tubes!

CRT Zombie, "Tubes...uhhhh.....Tubes"

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I wish you guys would stop freaking out newby's with your $10K scaler suggestions.
At least point out that an HD-A3 player + HD Fury converter will do an excellent job of up-scaling DVD's for only $350. and plug directly into a CRT PJ.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm /forum/post/12884453

I wish you guys would stop freaking out newby's with your $10K scaler suggestions.
At least point out that an HD-A3 player + HD Fury converter will do an excellent job of up-scaling DVD's for only $350. and plug directly into a CRT PJ.

my scalers is only 3K - tho I'll gladly sell it for 10.
You are right, but what if he wants to watch the "big game" with his friends? Or even something on tv, if they ever resolve the writer's strike?

All I know is that I've had 4 different video processors with my 980; each one was an upgrade, both in price and performance. It was only with V1.04 firmware on the VP50 that I got the "ah" out of my display.

I'll also second dropzone7 - what's the fun with plugging in a projector, and then just watching? One of the reason's I sold my lcd. No fun. And don't forget - bulb pjs just get worse - that little light bulb dims and changes its output from the first power-on.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
For around $1000 if going for fixed panel there are some better than Sony but hard to find. Sharp z-3000, 12k MKII and Optoma 7100 or 7300. Other than black level they should beat the PG imo in most area. Sony has huge uniformity issue and SDE is hi. But get the Extra or XG over these.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm /forum/post/12884453

Exactly what I am doing. I have yet to use a scaler with a CRT projector. I don't see that I would ever have the need for it really.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there a big difference in picture from the PG and the PG extra? I notice its 200 lumens brighter but is it actually that noticeable when the colors are set to normal movie watching?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elements604 /forum/post/12885683

Is there a big difference in picture from the PG and the PG extra? I notice its 200 lumens brighter but is it actually that noticeable when the colors are set to normal movie watching?

I guess it depends on which PG model you are looking at. A plain PG probably won't have the point convergence board while the Xtra or even a Plus model may. The Xtra will have more bandwidth than a plain PG but as long as you are not trying to squeak 1080p out of it then that should not matter. Even with the extra bandwidth in the PG Xtra you probably shouldn't use 1080p. It will resolve it but will probably be too soft. Another thing to consider is lenses. I would look for a PG, PG Plus or PG Xtra that has HD-144 or HD-145 lenses on it. These are more desirable and often sell for a few hundred bucks a set on Fleabay and other sites. I have heard many people say that the PG Xtra is one of the most underated projectors out there so I would say it takes priority in order of desirability. Basically in this order. Plain PG (good) - PG Plus (better) - PG Xtra (best). Look for good tubes (especially green), a point convergence card and HD-144 or 145 lenses. Brightness is a whole other issue and is largely dependent on your room conditions and screen size.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
If you get a great example of a PG, and a good example of an xtra...you might just prefer the PG. The Xtra does add some more lumens and the ability to tweak out a sharper pic...but you have to be good and dilligent to tweak out that xtra performance.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benareeno /forum/post/12885791

...but you have to be good and dilligent to tweak out that xtra performance.

Or in my case, you just have to be diligent as I know that I'm not good at it.

Patience and hard work are certainly rewarded with CRT.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
fwiw - my 9x looks so good (finally) that I still haven't got around to hanging my 9" Ampro. I know - its an Ampro, but it has the good lenses, is spanky clean, and the 4600hd model. But just on a quick setup to check throw distance, the colors looked noticeably worse than my old 8-" NEC clone.

Someday I'll hang the Ampro, but not until the football and college bb seasons are over (which is one huge reason why I have the vp - movies are only about 60% of what I watch.)

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Yes that is kind of debatable but if he wants digital these are the choices in the price bracket. 7300 looks good in my room but not like my XG.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts