X1 or Sharp A10X. I was in CC today and got a close look at this

TV. Since this is about the same size image I am plan on projecting

I was wondering how it will compare.

Thanks...........

·
Registered
436 Posts
Actually, that's a LOT cheaper. :p

If you have (or can have) light control in your room, you need to see a low-cost front projector in operation. If not, you're best off not bothering.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
One important thing to note, if you were standing two feet away from the tv when checking it out, the image might not be that bad, but chances are that if you're doing the same with the projectors, you'd be blocking the light from the projector and so you'd see your shadow on the screen and would be missing a big part of the picture. Just thought I'd point that out.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like it will compare favorably. The price tag on the TV was

stunning to say the least.

Thanks

·
Registered
546 Posts
A friend of mine just bought the 60" Sony, and I have watched both dvd and HD on it. It has a slightly better image than my Z1, but it was just so damn tiny. And even though it was lcd, and relatively thin, it still took a big chunk of floor space. Would not have traded him.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I don't know what you are asking in the less than $3500 forum and comparing a $5000 direct view with $1000 projectors?

Even allowing an extra $1500 for a motorized remote screen you still have $2.5k difference.

Plus the Sony is 1386 x 788; which will get pretty good HDTV resolution. The Sharp is 1024*768 (and like 1024*576 in HD mode) ; so its decent but not up to Sony in resolution (you can get better for an extra $1k with a panamorphic lense - now you are getting closer in comparative price and would have great 4*3 and very good HD resolution with the projector but a little shy of the Sony). The x1 is lower SVGA resolution.

So you are paying more for Sony but getting more; with no light control issues etc if your screen size is limited to the dimensions of the Sony.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Believe me I have no interest in buying such a behemoth. I am however

very close to buying either an X1 or A10X. Since I was in CC today and

say the sony I thought I post on this forum in order to hear peoples opinion

of how their PJ would stack up against this TV.

Quote:
Originally posted by RalphArch
I don't know what you are asking in the less than $3500 forum and comparing a $5000 direct view with $1000 projectors?

Even allowing an extra $1500 for a motorized remote screen you still have $2.5k difference.

Plus the Sony is 1386 x 788; which will get pretty good HDTV resolution. The Sharp is 1024*768 (and like 1024*576 in HD mode) ; so its decent but not up to Sony in resolution (you can get better for an extra $1k with a panamorphic lense - now you are getting closer in comparative price and would have great 4*3 and very good HD resolution with the projector but a little shy of the Sony). The x1 is lower SVGA resolution.

So you are paying more for Sony but getting more; with no light control issues etc if your screen size is limited to the dimensions of the Sony.

·
Registered
174 Posts
if you have a dedicated HT room with light control, i would definitely go with the projector. I'll tell you right now though that if the projo is ceiling mounted, it gets quite annoying having to stand up on a chair to switch it on. sometimes i do wish i went with a smaller rptv for the convenience, but most of the time i'm glad i did get the pj.

edit: i also wanted to add that i hate asking my guests to move out of the way so i can turn it on

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bmedude
I'll tell you right now though that if the projo is ceiling mounted, it gets quite annoying having to stand up on a chair to switch it on. sometimes i do wish i went with a smaller rptv for the convenience, but most of the time i'm glad i did get the pj. I also wanted to add that i hate asking my guests to move out of the way so i can turn it on
Wouldn't it be possible to get a remote switch from RatShack? I got one for my light switch and it works great. You can use them in place of plugs or switches.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah, that's one thing I wish Infocus would have installed. A way to turn the unit on and off with the remote without having to do it at the projector. Even better would be that the unit turns off by iself after cooling the bulb off after, say, and hour. Oh well, it's a small inconvenience.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bmedude
if you have a dedicated HT room with light control, i would definitely go with the projector. I'll tell you right now though that if the projo is ceiling mounted, it gets quite annoying having to stand up on a chair to switch it on. sometimes i do wish i went with a smaller rptv for the convenience, but most of the time i'm glad i did get the pj.

edit: i also wanted to add that i hate asking my guests to move out of the way so i can turn it on
There are a number of ways to do this at the plug including X-10. You could then remotely (Hard Wired or IR even) turn the unit on and off.

I have mine on X-10 and it works out great. The appliance module just plugs into the wall and the projector plugs into it. When the module turns on, the projector starts up and when it comes time to shut it down, I turn it off using the remote and then switch off the module a few minutes later. Works great!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.