AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the speaker recognize which one is high and which one is low? Will biwire speaker improve sound? If I use single wire connection to my biwirable speaker with the jumper connected between the two the binding posts, I assume that I'm using the speaker internal crossover. What about biwire case? I'm not using the speaker crossover? Please straighten me up!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bi-wireable speakers allow SEPERATE connections to the woofer (through its x-ver) and mid/tweets (again through relevant x-vers). The Jumper on the back of the speaker just parallels the input connections of the two seperate internal x-overs. The only way you "know" which is which is by labeling or simply attach one and see if you get highs or lows. The speaker doesn't need to know - it simply responds to the signal applied.

Improvements are thought to occur because the lows (now passing in a seperate cable) do not "modulate" the highs. The fact that twice as much cable is in use may also have an effect. Not all speakers respond really well to this approach, but many do so its worth an experiment.

If you're into "tweaking" try this. Locate the crossover(s) in your speakers. You will see that there are short leads from the x-over to the binding posts. Remove these and solder (you'll need speaker cables you can solder) the speaker leads (single or bi-wire) directly to the x-over, bypassing the old leads and posts. I have found that doing this with a "medium" price cable yields results as good as an "expensive" cable with the orig posts, lead set up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.