AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our local cable operator just added CBSHD for the Super Bowl and hopefully beyond. So this is the first time I've seen anything in HD on CBS. Not much on tonight, but I checked out Joan of Arcadia and Jag which seem to be in HD although Titan TV does not list them as such. The picture quality seems to be a bit soft compared to HBO and Discovery. I hope that the Super Bowl will be a lot better.

Also there is a serious audio lag, that I've also seen on ABCHD (ota) from time to time. Does anyone know if the audio lag network, local affiliate or cable re-distribution issue? (btw, it's not in 5.1)

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you are viewing true HD, there should be no guessing about it. I can't speak for CBS-HD on cable, but OTA, CBS-HD is outstanding! As I said, there is no guessing about it!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bfogelstrom
Our local cable operator just added CBSHD for the Super Bowl and hopefully beyond. So this is the first time I've seen anything in HD on CBS. Not much on tonight, but I checked out Joan of Arcadia and Jag which seem to be in HD although Titan TV does not list them as such. The picture quality seems to be a bit soft compared to HBO and Discovery. I hope that the Super Bowl will be a lot better.

Also there is a serious audio lag, that I've also seen on ABCHD (ota) from time to time. Does anyone know if the audio lag network, local affiliate or cable re-distribution issue? (btw, it's not in 5.1)
Don't forget the difference between film and video. Your standard network shows are filmed and then converted to HD compared to the HD video look like a football game. There is a dramatic difference on the 'wow' effect but if you switch between HD and SD from any source there should be a clear difference in clarity.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I saw CSI Miami earlier this week for the very first time (and the very first time in HD) -- I was amazed at the picture quality.

I've had my HDTV tuner now for a week and only turned on my cable box once since last weekend. Hurrah for HDTV locals!

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
The main CBS shows on HD are amazingly different from standard broadcast. If that is not the effect you experience you should get your system checked.

Only the Discovery HD programming is as good (or better).

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Well there is not a comparison between CBS-HD OTA and CBS-HD via DirecTv OTA is much better. However I am sure that DirecTv is tweaking things so I will reseve final judgement for a while.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
re: reserve judgment

Of course, not stating that I receive HD over high-definition cable was an oversight. I am unfamiliar with either OTA or dish quality comparsions.

·
Registered
65 Posts
HD (or any signal) via CATV would probably show some degradation compared to OTA. This is because of the numerous amplifiers needed to get the signal from the Head End (of the CATV system) to your house. While their performance is very good, a cascade of dozens of amplifiers (in a typical system) is sure to introduce noise. Where as, via OTA there is only a beginning and end (with nothing in between) to introduce noise.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I watched CBSHD for the first time last night via my cable provider. I switched back and forth from CBS, HBOHD and DHDT. CBS and HBO had similar picture quality. DHDT was its usual stunning self. I attribute the difference to CBS and HBO showing film based sources. The proof will be tomorrow night. Also I believe that CBSHD was broadcasting in 5.1. At least that's what my receiver indicated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LazyTom

...Only the Discovery HD programming is as good (or better)...
I have Discovery-HD and the HDNet package from my satellite provider. I can tell you that HDNet is equally as impressive as Discovery-HD...they absolutely blow away anything else I have ever viewed in HD, including OTA-HD! It is absolutely stunning to see!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.