AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how basic dishnetwork looks on a crt projector,in particular a sony 1031...not talking about hi-def!!!just basic dishnetwork.

brickie

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Both Dish Network and DirecTV look pretty bad if you make the picture very big. As you increase the size of the screen it really shows that it is over-compressed digital. The best thing to do is just go down to your favorite electronics store and check out any screen over 36".. If you step back about 2x the height of the screen you will see what I mean.

I think the must increase the compression until they get some % of subscribers that complain. Because most people have a TV smaller than 32" Dish/DirecTV can compress the hell out of the picture to get more shopping channels and locals.

-Mike

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your opinion and the info mike.

brickie

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
When I had Dish Network, the HBOs were OK - soft although compression artifacts weren't objectionable. The other channels were bad. On a screen wide enough to make movies big (seating at 1.5-1.7 screen widths) they were unwatchable. Window boxed on a 16:9 screen sized according to that metric they were poor but watchable.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, i don't think i'm gonna try this one...

brickie

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Well I have DirecTV on my 1031Q.

Its much better then crappy cable TV. OK yea its a little soft but its definetly watchable. Yes its Standard Deff (RCA sat receiver)

You can see some digital effects sometimes revealing that its is a digitally built image but over all not bad. I have ran HD on my 1031Q and WOW was that mind blowing. One day Ill buy an HD receiver and install an HD dish but not right now, Im not ready for that.

If you have a choice between cable TV or satellite and your having a hard time deciding I would just get the dish and be done with it. Youll never go back to cable again!

Oh yea, Im runninng all my video signals through my AV preamp and on to a line doubler (DWIN LD5) so thers NO scan lines in my image either (92" Draper screen)

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vic, are you running a 16 x9 screen?is that not to large for a 1031 ? that's one of the main reasons i want to upgrade later,is for a bigger screen...i run my 1031 at 80" x 46".

brickie

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have had Dishnetwork for a couple of years now and the non HD picture is watchable, but compared to HD it looks pretty bad. You may want to check over on the HD programming forum as I have heard that Dishnetwork will be running a special promotion starting on the 16th for new customers. They will also be releasing the Superdish later this year if you are not in a hurry. A friend of mine has DirectTv with a new Zenith receiver and his standard definition channels seemed to look a little better than mine. Doesn't surprise me since the model 6000 receiver is several generations old.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Riktar
Besides compression you also have to factor in the resolution is only 352x480 from Dishnetork as well as DirecTV.
I've (cough) ripped my dishplayer and premiums where 640x480. Maybe you could use a PVR and extract it to your computer and play it with FFdshow--it might clean things up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikejz84
I've (cough) ripped my dishplayer and premiums where 640x480. Maybe you could use a PVR and extract it to your computer and play it with FFdshow--it might clean things up.

Dish is 544x480. That's not to say the dishplayer saves it as that, but the raw MPEG2 they send out is 544x480. You can verify that with a PCI DVB card. The bitrate is 2-2.5 MBit (for the NY/LA network feeds). I haven't checked the PPV or premiums but I wouldn't expect it to be much more.

So basically Dish is about as good as SVCD.

I should point out that there are a couple 720x480 test channels on the 148 bird (and probably 61.5 as well). So they are not technically limited to 544x480.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just checked ExpressVu and some (not all) of the PPV and premiums are 704x480. So it could be that way on Dish as well. I just never checked Dish (and I can't anymore - big tree in the way).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The standard resolution is 544x480, however it seems that the main premium channels are 640x480

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.