AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried finding an answer using search, with little luck - though I found links to how the checkerboard 3D on DLP works.

So, how does DLP-Link work ? Esp. with front projectors.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard /forum/post/20849642

I'm sure others will chime in with a more detailed answer, but very basically: a white flash is sent to the screen in between the content, and the active glasses use this to sync the shutters.

That sounds simple enough. So that would also mean the syncing should be fast as there are so many opportunities per second to sync ?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Well, in theory, it should sync exactly 120 times per second (the refresh rate of a 3d signal).

Advatnages of DLP over rf/ir setups: No separate emitter needed; glasses can be slightly cheaper than similar ir or rf glasses; reasonable compatibility across several manufacturers; won't interfere with remote controls or wifi products.

Disadvantages: Use limited to compatible dlp-tech displays; some people complain of color shift due to white flash; usually cannot tune delay/duty cycle; need line-of-sight or sync is lost (true of ir as well, but not rf).

·
Registered
Yamaha TSR700 (Bose 301II’s), DirecTV 4K, Apple TV 4K, Philips 4K BDP, LG 75” Nanocell
595 Posts
I hope you are not going to use DirecTV with that setup. Unless something has changed, checkerboard is NOT supported by D* receivers.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 /forum/post/20852842

I hope you are not going to use DirecTV with that setup. Unless something has changed, checkerboard is NOT supported by D* receivers.

The converter for most all standard 3D sources to Checkerboard are relatively inexpensive.

The OP did mention front projection specifically though.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 /forum/post/20852842

No - I'm stuck with D* for now. So, no 3D unless Charlie changes his mind.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaoo0 /forum/post/20851996

Because the DLP imaging chip is so fast, it is able to project two images on the screen at one time to create the 3D image viewed through the active glasses.

This is not really correct. The L/R images are displayed in sequence, alternating L/R 120 times per second, in sync with the shutters on the glasses. It's very fast, but it's not "at one time". If the two views were displayed simultaneously with active glasses, it would ruin the 3d effect.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG /forum/post/20852902

Front DLP projectors are not checkerboard.

Upon quick search FPs seem to use frame sequential. RPs use Checkerboard. DLP-Link works with both of them because of the full white image "signal" shown between frames ?

So, looks like FPs potentially offer better resolution than checkerboard RPs. FPs can be 1080 for each eye, depending on the source. I like this already

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard /forum/post/20853033

This is not really correct. The L/R images are displayed in sequence, alternating L/R 120 times per second, in sync with the shutters on the glasses. It's very fast, but it's not "at one time". If the two views were displayed simultaneously with active glasses, it would ruin the 3d effect.

Actually he is just quoting TI.

http://www.dlp.com/projector/dlp-inn.../dlp-link.aspx

Quote:
Because the DLP imaging chip is so fast, it is able to project two images on the screen at one time to create the 3D image viewed through the active glasses. But, in addition to the two images on the screen, the DLP chip also sends additional data to the glasses in-between each frame of video. This is how the projector communicates with the DLP link enabled active glasses. This ingenious transmission technique makes data emitters obsolete and eliminates the need to install and position emitters. This saves you time and money and makes setup of a 3D Ready DLP projector quick and easy.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard /forum/post/20853278

May be so... but still not correct!

Shame on you, Texas Instruments...

That depends on your definition of "at one time" ;-)

Afterall, DLP is time multiplexed and as such one could argue at any one time it isn't even displaying a 1080p color image even in 2D.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo /forum/post/20860668

Here's a video I shot at 600fps that shows what goes on:

The DLP Link flash is blue, probably because white is more complicated, taking 3 times as long to produce.

Thanks for this.

Why does the video have top & bottom lightup separately ? Is that how the Mitsu DMD work (all the 540p wobbled to 1080p ?).

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo /forum/post/20860668

The DLP Link flash is blue, probably because white is more complicated, taking 3 times as long to produce.

What color tint do you get on your set in 3D mode? On my Samsung it is hot red so my guess is the DLP flash is a different color on my set.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 /forum/post/20869652

What color tint do you get on your set in 3D mode? On my Samsung it is hot red so my guess is the DLP flash is a different color on my set.

Oh, I see. Mine is blue.

I wonder would the same glasses work on both TVs?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.