AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just got off the fence and ordered a HS10!

Sight unseen, however I've seen a good amount of LCD and DLP pjs.

Here's my situation:

My DVD player just died on me, and I obviously need a new one but I

really want one of the new Samsung 931 HD players comming out this

summer. So I was thinking of just getting a regular cheapo interlaced

DVD player for now until the Samsung 931 is available.

How is the picture on the HS10 look with a standard interlaced DVD signal?

I've heard good things about the scaler/processing in the HS10, is it

very watchable?

Another option, I was considering was to pick up a cheapo progressive

scan player I saw at BJ's/Sams club, which only costs about $60 more

than an interlaced one.

Would this be the smarter option?

Another question, although I probably should post this in the screen forum,

What screen material are most using with this projector?

I was considering the Dalite HCMW, or HCCV.

Or would plain ol Matte white be the best choice?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Prat
  1. How is the picture on the HS10 look with a standard interlaced DVD signal? I've heard good things about the scaler/processing in the HS10, is it very watchable?
  2. I was considering was to pick up a cheapo progressive scan player I saw at BJ's/Sams club, which only costs about $60 more than an interlaced one. Would this be the smarter option?
  3. I was considering the Dalite HCMW, or HCCV. Or would plain ol Matte white be the best choice?[/list=1]
    1. I think that the HS10 is very watchable fed an interlaced signal, even viewing it interlaced, i. e. not deinterlacing to progressive.
    2. Only you can know whether you want to spend another $60.
    3. The consensus seems to be HCCV if you have some ambient light to overcome, or plain ol' matte white if you have total light control.[/list=1]

:)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Right now I am running my DVD player (Philips Q50) using s-vid connection because I use the component connection for my cable box (HDTV). I haven't bought component cables for my DVD player because I will be using an HTPC. I guess I should go ahead and buy some better component cables for the cable box but I am too lazy :). I don't notice a big difference running component over s-vid from the dvd to pj.

As a side note: there has been some buzz about this new Samsung and was wondering if anyone knows if its scaling is going to be better than what's in our pjs. Since its just upconverting the dvd 480 to 720p, I was just curious why so many people think it will do a better job than their pj.

Also, as a member of the High Power cult, I recommend you get the High Power screen as it will bring happiness to all around you :cool: .

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a JVC XV-60 dvd player which can produce either interlaced or progressive. I can see no real difference between the two when using the HS-10. So I think the HS-10's deinterlacer is at least as good as the one in that dvd player (which is a decent player but not top-of-the-line by any means). If I was you I'd buy something cheap and let the HS-10 handle the deinterlacing until you get the Samsung. I would not pay the extra $60, especially if you are only planning to use it for a few months.

I have HCCV and am very pleased with it. Cannot comment on the others.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yep, the deinterlacer in the HS10 is very good; it takes a pretty good DVD player to beat it. If you have plans for something better in the near future, a (good) interlaced DVD player would be fine. A good interlaced player will look better than a cheapo prog player, I bet...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joebwan
  1. I think that the HS10 is very watchable fed an interlaced signal, even viewing it interlaced, i. e. not deinterlacing to progressive.

1. I'm not sure I understand you here. Even if fed an interlaced signal, on the HS-10 (and every other digital PJ) you will be viewing a progressive picture, as that is the only way these PJs can display. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. And I agree, the Sony's de-interlacer / line doubler does a good job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.